My teacher did energy work on me? Help

Hawthornetea

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi good afternoon. I hope this isn't off limits to discuss, but I could really use help understanding something that happened to me in class.
My teacher practices Balintawak and hilot as well I'm pretty sure. One day he said he needed to check something about me and asked if it was okay to "check" me. Then he took my wrist and pressed it between his wrist and palm I'm pretty sure and held it there for about a minute or what felt like a while. While that was happening I felt his energy strongly like in my blood on the arm of that wrist. It really threw me off. Some time went by and i asked him about it and he said he had no recollection of this. Did I imagine this? Was he doing some pulse diagnosis? Is this something he's not allowed to explain? I know this sounds a little wild, but any light anyone could shine on this would be much appreciated.
Context is this happened while I'm beginning to advance at the art.

Bobbycat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From my point of view, you are very sensitive to Qi flow. Some people will feel nothing. Do not worry you are gifted for internal martial styles.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi good afternoon. I hope this isn't off limits to discuss, but I could really use help understanding something that happened to me in class.
My teacher practices Balintawak and hilot as well I'm pretty sure. One day he said he needed to check something about me and asked if it was okay to "check" me. Then he took my wrist and pressed it between his wrist and palm I'm pretty sure and held it there for about a minute or what felt like a while. While that was happening I felt his energy strongly like in my blood on the arm of that wrist. It really threw me off. Some time went by and i asked him about it and he said he had no recollection of this. Did I imagine this? Was he doing some pulse diagnosis? Is this something he's not allowed to explain? I know this sounds a little wild, but any light anyone could shine on this would be much appreciated.
Your post is a little unclear on a key issue. When you say that your instructor "had no recollection" -- are we talking about the entire incident, or any sort of energy pulsation? Along with that -- why wouldn't he be willing to give some explanation, if he felt a need to ask your permission? These are red flags to me -- but easily dismissed with a bit of clarification or explanation.

Beyond that... you felt what you felt. You figure out how much it means.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to jks' questions: How much time passed between him checking you, and you asking him about it/not remembering? Was it an immediate thing/within the week, or had enough time passed that he may legitimately have just forgotten he "checked" your energy pulsation? Also, did you ask him if its something he does in general (he may not remember doing it for you, but if its a check that he does, he may be able to tell you what it's for anyway.

OP
H

Hawthornetea

White Belt
Reaction score
Your post is a little unclear on a key issue. When you say that your instructor "had no recollection" -- are we talking about the entire incident, or any sort of energy pulsation? Along with that -- why wouldn't he be willing to give some explanation, if he felt a need to ask your permission? These are red flags to me -- but easily dismissed with a bit of clarification or explanation.

Beyond that... you felt what you felt. You figure out how much it means.j

Beyond that... you felt what you felt. You figure out how much it means.
He said he has no recollection of the entire incident and actually accused me of having a mental illness. He asked for a lot of details about what he was doing to my wrist and even had me recreate it. When i spoke about the energy i felt he seemed to substitute it with mood. It's possible the energy i felt was internal but i remember him asking if it was okay to check me and holding my wrist like that very well. It wasn't related to a new technique. About a month passed since that happened and me inquiring about it. I've always felt he modeled good values and is someone i can trust, but when he was "checking" me alarm bells started going off whether it was because i didn't understand or i sensed ill intent I'm unsure.
Read within quotes above i wrote my reply within the blue on accident
Some context that may or may not be relevant is not too long before this is when he started to divulge some of the more esoteric elements to what we are doing. Also that i had gone to a Native American ceremony and he could tell something shifted about me and confronted me to ask where I had gone.
I intend the utmost respect and understand these are sensitive issues. I only wish to understand what happened and am saddened that i will probably need to stop practicing this art that i have grown passionate about.

OP
H

Hawthornetea

White Belt
Reaction score
In addition to jks' questions: How much time passed between him checking you, and you asking him about it/not remembering? Was it an immediate thing/within the week, or had enough time passed that he may legitimately have just forgotten he "checked" your energy pulsation? Also, did you ask him if its something he does in general (he may not remember doing it for you, but if its a check that he does, he may be able to tell you what it's for anyway.
It was about a month, when that happened i felt like i had to run out of there, then he was gone for a bit, too many others around to ask, etc., He seemed genuine in not remembering. I didn't ask if it's something he does in general but he did ask for a lot of details and to recreate it. Read my response above if you can, he did accuse me of being mentally ill and when i used the word energy he took that to mean mood maybe i should have said qi to be more clear. But he acted like he had no idea but did go on to explain that all he does he acts out of positive intent. Thanks for reading.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read within quotes above i wrote my reply within the blue on accident
Some context that may or may not be relevant is not too long before this is when he started to divulge some of the more esoteric elements to what we are doing. Also that i had gone to a Native American ceremony and he could tell something shifted about me and confronted me to ask where I had gone.
I intend the utmost respect and understand these are sensitive issues. I only wish to understand what happened and am saddened that i will probably need to stop practicing this art that i have grown passionate about.
If, overall, you like and trust your instructor, maybe chalk it up to you being in a little bit of an altered/heightened sensitivity due to that earlier ritual, and let it drop with him.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hi Hawthornetea,

With who are you training? Just curious of the lineage .

My Instructor was GM Ted Buot and I am good friends with GM Bobby Toboada.

Thanks

OP
H

Hawthornetea

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Hawthornetea,

With who are you training? Just curious of the lineage .

My Instructor was GM Ted Buot and I am good friends with GM Bobby Toboada.

Thanks
I'd rather not say as there seems to be a connection..if there's anyway you can help me figure things out through dm id appreciate it.

Latest Discussions