My second Dan Journey

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Second Dan Journey.

Good morning to ll my journey to one of my bigest dreams of my life began with a 6 hour trip in bus to Mexido City this past Saturday, mostly young people, children and moms and their families rode that bus. All were excitement inside that bus.
Afther cheking in the hotel I went to dinner with all the folks to then proced to take a warm bathtub and go to bed to rest cause next day will the DAY.

I think the hot bath eased me a little and start to fall sleep when I got a telephone long distance call, it was my wife for wishing me luck for the examination, we chated for about half an hour, I saw some TV and went to sleep ,but at 5:30 am I was awake I could not sleep anymore so I stayed on bed till 6:30 am thinking and thinking.

I took a light breakfast and went to the dojang and got ready, we did a light warm up, indications was given and we waited for the examinators (6).

We were dived in blocks, children, young and then adults, most of the people were there for their first dan black belt or first poom, two for second dan (including me), one for third and one for fifth dan.

The first part went right, I do all my techs, poomsae and one steps sparring and idan chaguis very well, I have a litte mishap with koryo but fixed quickly, I felt right my feet were okey.

The second part I do it flawlessly, breaking two one inch each boards with a powerful side kick and then two one inch each boards with a spinning back kick, my breaking was clean with timing and well executed. I knew after this part my left feet was hurt (because of the fasciitis plantar) but I blocked my mind to keep going.

Third part of the examination was the most demanding, it was kyorugi (full sparring) I sparred with the 5th degree black belt, it was a tough match, this man kicked hard and was very quick with his feet, he connected me solid kicks and some of them were blocked, something really bother me was in every clinch this guy grabed me by the lower part of the hogu so I can’t pull him away and kicked him, it was a very difficult fight, this guy hurt himself badly on his instep don’t know why, I did not get hurt but finished breathless because of the Mexico City altitude, I had barely one minute to recover myself and then againg kyorugy with another guy a second dan black belt, this time even I could not breath very well I did a better combat.

I ended the examination breathless the examinators went behind closed doors to deliverate.

At the end I’ve got a good review/citation of my examination by the head examinator Professor Ernesto Moran 8th degree black belt and one of the pioneers of the Mexican tae kwon do. Prfesor Moran said to me he was very proud because I did such a good examination, I proved to be a good TKD man and that I am a good example for the youngers.
All six examinators gave me thumbs up and congratulations and big hugs.
After a nice meal watching the soccer game finale I went home, reaching my family at the bus station at 10:00 pm of Sunday.

Manny

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience for the rest of us to learn and draw inspiration from. Congratulations.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Manny. I've no doubt all the praise was well deserved.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Second Dan!! That is outstanding & well deserved.

:partyon::partyon::partyon::partyon:

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you very much, it was dificult but not impossible, this achievement means a lot to me, and sharing with you guys is one of the nicest things I ever did.

Last night my sambonim gave my my new black belt. We started with a very demanding class given by Boris one of my sambonim sons, Boris is a 5th degree black belt and has signed a contract with the goverment of ISRAEL to go there and train people I wish him good luck in his new journey.

The class was very demanding plus we have all our families watch us cause they went to see the black belt ceremony, afrher finishing and hidrating we proced to the ceremony. I got a nice full embroided 3 inch wide black belt with my name in one side and in the other side the name of the organization (Hwarang Tae Kwon Do), the cermony was very nice and again I got a nice citation this time from my master.

I am in the process of getting the pics to make a photoalbum, I will post them soon as possible.

Manny

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bout time.... and to think, not to long ago you said you were happy being a 1st dan forever......

Congrats.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
bout time.... and to think, not to long ago you said you were happy being a 1st dan forever......

Congrats.

People change, circumstances are not always the same, I was wrong I must admit it.

Thank you.

Manny

Latest Discussions