My new book on Iron Skills training has just been published!!

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

tigercrane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to know Dale's opinion on Cotton Palm training vs Iron Palm. Is it a myth or reality that both use chi as a premise but the latter is more externalized?

It seems as though most Southern styles have various methods of iron palm training and iron shirt training routines.

Conversely, Northern styles (aka long fist) are more oriented towards using different types of Jing to develop striking power without hard conditioning.

I have to say that Dale's breaking of coconuts is impressive! :)

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now ... aren't power and iron skills training two different things? That is, power is (or could be said to be) generated from whole-body utilization (speed, momentum, integration) and iron skills conditioning is about toughening the body to resist impact at the points of impact?

OP
D

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Reaction score
Excellent.

Brother Dale. how are things going in Fla.?

Things are good, brother. If you are in the Tampa area ever give me a ring at 813-237-0350 That is my office phone.

OP
D

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Reaction score
Now ... aren't power and iron skills training two different things? That is, power is (or could be said to be) generated from whole-body utilization (speed, momentum, integration) and iron skills conditioning is about toughening the body to resist impact at the points of impact?

Some of the training methods are training strength as well as impact training. You cannot put stress on the muscle and osseous tissue and expect it not to thicken, remodel and strengthen. Science proves that stress on these structures increases their thickness and strengthens the actual tissues. Wolfs Law and Davis' Law.

Let me know how I can be of service.

OP
D

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Reaction score
I'd like to know Dale's opinion on Cotton Palm training vs Iron Palm. Is it a myth or reality that both use chi as a premise but the latter is more externalized?

It seems as though most Southern styles have various methods of iron palm training and iron shirt training routines.

Conversely, Northern styles (aka long fist) are more oriented towards using different types of Jing to develop striking power without hard conditioning.

I have to say that Dale's breaking of coconuts is impressive! :)

There are many methods to train the hands, arms, legs and body.

How I was taught: Relaxation, and Structural training starts first. Then you move on to focus training with visualizations. Then bag hitting, and then more relation and visualization along with medicinal application.

It is not all about whacking the hands for thousands of reps.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But we've been told you can't learn from books. ;):D

You can't. Not really. But books can certainly be a useful adjunct to good instruction.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.