Keeping confidence in your training?

spiderboy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have some questions for anyone who trains in a MA for self defence but has never had to use it to defend themselves.

How do you keep confidence in the practicality of what you are studying and learning despite having never used it in ‘real time’?

For those who have had to defend themselves, how did you do – recognise any of your training in the heat of the moment?

It is something I think about regularly, having never had to use my training in real self defence. This isn’t a situation I want to ever change, but I sometimes wonder if I could cut it if the mess hit the fan. For the record, I have every confidence in my Art and my Instructor - it is myself I worry about!

How do other people out there train as ‘real’ as possible?

Lots of questions, any answers appreciated!

Respectfully,

Alex

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think most pople go through I process of askingthemslefs the same questions you have posted. If you have never been in a situation where your knowledge was needed it is sometimes hard to know if you can respond.
If you can answere yes to most of the questions I ask you will most likely be ok:
are your reflexes fast ( not really important as long as you react)
can you get hit/kicked and still keep going
are you willing to fight to defend youslef, your family. friends
do you act institivly when doing self defence techs
Do you have faith in what you have been taught and belive it can help you survive

thats a few of the things that can let you know if you will do ok in the street

your mindset has more to do with "bing ok out there" than anything else

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
spiderboy[SIZE=3 said:
For the record, I have every confidence in my Art and my Instructor[/SIZE]

I have no real words of wisdom...You have confidence?? You've trained hard??? The skills will be there when you call upon them..I had trained for only 6 months when I had to defend myself in a barfight..It was as though I was on auto pilot..I reacted without hesitation..So will you..

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Real confidence comes from realistic training. Are you breaking a sweat? Are you doing drills even when you're very tired? Are you being stressed in class? Are you putting on the gloves and seeing if stuff really works?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Real confidence comes from realistic training. Are you breaking a sweat? Are you doing drills even when you're very tired? Are you being stressed in class? Are you putting on the gloves and seeing if stuff really works?

My thoughts exactly!!! We can stand around all day doing our stuff in the air, but that certainly is not going to give the same feeling as getting out there and doing it!!

Mike

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never had to use my physical training in a SD situation per se, but I have been in two situations where I attribute my training to keep me from having to resort to physical SD. So, in essence, my training already paid off. I believe it was because I was totally unintimidated by the situations and remained calm. That unnerves people and it's not something you can fake. If it had gone farther than that, so be it. I have a good deal of confidence in my ability to protect myself and think it showed.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I essentially answered that question here.

Prior to having used my skills in a real situation, there were times I had wondered. But I knew I trained hard. I saw that my skills were at the top of my class and comparable to those I met from other schools. We were taught to believe in ourselves, as much spiritually as emotionally.

After the first fight, where I had 10 opponents and walked away without a scratch, I certainly had a true sense of what I was capable of. Everything was smooth and instantaneous, just as I'd trained for 12 years.

I don't recommend looking for fights to boost confidence of course. I think your awareness of self will gradually grow until you no longer consider such things very much at all. You simply train as hard as you can because you are a warrior of spirit and body. That's when it won't matter anymore.

Reactions: MJS

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, As you get older...sometimes a little more wiser?

These are my thoughts: The whole purpose of training is not to fight, but to build confidence, awareness, be more caring of others and self, belief in ones princlples of doing the right things, to learn to be a good person.

Hopefully these things will bring you into a better life and know better people...you will also learn not to look like a victim, act like a victim, and not become a victim!

Yes there are situtions we cannot control and things happen, better to give way to the dog, then get bitten by him!

Over 30,000 people die each year because of there EGO's/pride - trying to fight back,

Keep training hard...be proud and humble......than you may find yourself with a long life................hope this helps..........Aloha

Reactions: MJS

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First, don't go starting a fight just to test your skills. I have had my share of fights and there are very few where I didn't get at least bruised. I think the best way to gain confidence in your skills are in combinations of one-step realistic SD training and medium-to-heavy sparring. The one-step reaction training is what will help you react correctly to surprise SD situations and create some muscle memory. The sparring will get you ready when the other guy is running his mouth and you are preparing mentally to scrap. Train hard, and I think eventually you won't have that question.

IMHO

OP
spiderboy

spiderboy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their posts, some helpful words of advice. I have no intention of going out looking for trouble to test myself, i'm a fairly passive guy who just loves his training. But what people have said here has helped - thank you.

Alex

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
a lot of the folks here have already given some great advice!!! Well worth thinking about.

It doesn't sound like you're out looking for a fight, but you want to know that what you are training for has taken root. Very understandable, and something that many a martial artist frets about as they come up in their art! Good character is wonderful and MUST be a central element of ones martial arts 'upbringing'....but these ARE still fighting arts and the core reasons for joining a martial arts school are MANY. Character development tends to be a happy side-effect. Effectiveness in fighting is good. Seeking fights....that's bad.
But I think you already know this, from what you've said.

Here's just some of my general thoughts on gaining the confidence that, when the going gets rough....you'll be ABLE to deal:

1. Train for realism. Learn to discern between techniques/movements that look good, ones that work well in the ring and ones that actually give you the upper-hand in a high stress fast paced encounter.... these three things are Not the same; they are different. QUESTION what it is you do and why it is you do it. What's the tactic? Is it realistic? Would it give you the upper hand in most situations? Could you easily reproduce that kind of technique while under sudden and intense stress? Is there some way that you could achieve the same objective quicker or easier?
There's LOTS of lessons w/in the arts we train in, many of the best are just below the surface and must be Earned...but they make a big difference down the road!!!
((Bear in mind: not all elements of an art have to do with "combat reality", many things, like forms, have to do with the refinement of your motion and more subtle lessons and conditioning, and the ongoing perfection of the absolute basics is a must as they are THE building blocks of Everything else we do.... don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Somethings produce exact skill sets, other refine and sophisticate HOW you do what you do and still others engender certain qualities...etc. Don't assume that just because you don't yet see what the 'usefulness' of a thing is that it doesn't have any. It might be the very thing to unlock lots of your ability later. you never know.))

2. Train hard. Never let up. If you are training with at least ONE of your reasons for training to be able to survive a violent attack, then learning perseverance is concern 1. Push yourself. I've heard that the words "Kung Fu" can be translated as "Hard work".... see.....the ancients knew that good results only come from Hard work!! So do some. (ok... do a lot)

3. Train frequently. You will respond the way you train, period. The MORE you train, the more your reactions will occur w/out the need for conscious decision making...it will become a matter of sensitivity and spontinaity.

4. Don't be afraid to get hit. It's a common ailment!! ...and for good reason, we SHOULD have an aversion to pain and discomfort; it's a safety mechanism. But on the same token, we need to be in control of our 'need' for safety. You can train safely and still receive some good contact. Sparring is good...........to a point. But dont' make the most common mistake of training to improve your sparring, spar to improve your training. When the "ring" becomes the focus of your training it looses it's positive effect on your ability to survive a REAL encounter. Take your core tactics in your art (not sure what yours is) and express it while padded up. Also: While drilling on self defense encounters and two person drills (anything where you are exchanging contact with another person........or two) agree before hand that you'll both take 'some' contact. Don't punch infront of your targets!! If you train to stop your fist before a target, ever, then you are TRAINING AND PRACTICING MISSING!!!!!! You don't want to get good at missing and make THAT your ingrained response. Can't emphasize that enough. I'm NOT saying to waylay each other. NO NO! Don't break your toys or you'll have nothing to play with. ;) But I am saying that 'some' contact is very good. Keeps you from getting that "STUN" effect that many streetfighters expect their hits to produce. If contact makes your cringe and cover or even just causes you to hesitate or blink... they have you. Period. Learn to face the contact and give some too. It's difficult to learn about the proper projection of force "at, on, in and through" a target if you always stop at the "at" part.

5. Make good use of focus mits and a heavy bag. NOT one of those free standing bags....but one you can really make GOOD contact with. Focus mits (on the hands of a good partner who will challenge you but not out-pace you) will work to highten your ability to guage distance and strike while in motion. Also....if your partner really knows what they are doing and how to move the mits, then they can challenge you defensively as well by lashing toward you with them intermitantly.....making you weave/dodge...etc. as you strike. These are a Great training tool, good for conditioning as well. Then the HEAVY bag.... one of my favorite tools! There's nothing that helps you become confident of the power you can deal out like actually DEALING it on something that can take it. But don't just train your normal punch, get those crosses, uppercuts, hooks, jabs, backhands, palms, hammerfists....etc. Work ALL of your tools. Don't neglect your feet on the bag either. Punches and kicks to the air are fine and we should all do them to make sure that our form is just right and whatnot. BUT: We must fine tune our tools/weapons to be able to strike while moving and move while striking....and to be able to deliver the fofce at, on, in and through a target!!! These two training tools are GREAT!!

6. Study the human anatomy and find it's liabilities. You may have good strong/swift basics, you may train with contact and work your skills a great deal.... but if you don't chose the BEST targets for your weapons, then you'r only doing half as well as you could. Study the techniques of your art, scrutinize what their effects would be on the attackers body... chances are you'll learn a lot about the weaknesses of the human body. There's a whole study of the structural liabilities of the human body and how to make the best use of these in combat..... learn this and train with this in mind. PICK your targets, don't just make an "Upper body shot".... say what you're hitting "Floating ribs", sternum, clavicle...etc. Having strong weapons (punches, kicks...etc.) is great, but having 'weak' targets to exploit can make even a weak strike POWERFUL. Definitely something to think about. ((Side note: if you like, there's also the study of how to affect the body through the use of pressure points. This is contraversial as not everyone thinks this works or is efficacious. Find out for yourself. Personally, I find it a Very interesting study. Do a search on the word "Kyusho" and you'll probably find things out. Discern your sources though, some are good, many mediocre....lots O' Bad. Like I said: Find out for yourself First hand, it's the only way.))

7. Diversify your skills. If you are a grappler, learn to fight with your hands and feet as a striker. If you are a 'striker'...learn to grapple. If your art emphasizes kicks, learn to punch....if your art emphasizes hands, learn to kick. If your school emphasizes the "hands on" aspect (great) then study and learn and appreciate the good that's to be had from forms and the like.
PLEASE NOTE: I'm Not saying "leave your art". Not at all!!!!! What I am saying is that you should Keep your art and love it for all your worth.... but fill the gaps. NO art is "complete". I know I'll probably catch some guff from that statement, but I believe it.

8. Study weapons. The study of weapons can VERY often have a good effect on your empty hand work and can really lend some insights and depth............besides, training with weapons is a good idea anyway.

Well....I really didn't mean to get THIS long winded.....but you know me....

take it easy, give it hard...

Your Brother
John

PS: IF you like this post.....throw a brothter some positive points.
Didn't know I'd written ALL this....should result in SOMETHIN....
ha!!

S

Shane Smith

I maintain my confidence by engaging in realistic bouting at speed with intent and by out-performing my opponents on a consistant basis. I feel that a competent martial artist must be able to perform competently on demand.Once you can do that, you'll have confidence. Intense adversarial freeplay with protective gear is a must.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I remember I was in class once in my far away youth and overheard this conversation between a senior student and a younger one about to spar for the first time:

"Honestly, well,,, I'm kinda scared"

"Of course you're scared, You'd be completely insane if you WEREN'T scared. Just GET SCARED FORWARD."

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Confidence in your training needs one more thing that I'm sure has been mentioned yet. The confidence to walk away. Timing, reflexes, solid technique are all very helpful things in gaining confidence in one's skills. But so is having enough confidence in oneself to be able to walk away from a fight. I don't think this can too over-valued in one's MA training.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the biggest confidence builders for me has seeing techniques work when doing heavy contact sparring. Seeing my teacher use a technique successfully, using it myself, and seeing my students use it successfully is a real confidence builder. Some heavy contact training builds your confidence and also gives you an idea of your limits as well as your capabilities.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The fear/adrenalin factor is a hard to train for! Actully facing your worst nightmare....so many possible situtions/and muliply attacks too..

Two things: Go out a pick fights...fast way to learn....also STUPID TOO!

Second: Keep up your training/train very hard and as real as possible. Most people will not engage in a real fight...hopefully talk and walk away first.

For most of us who will never really get into a street fight...sure we all wonder many times...what if's .....but life goes on...just be prepare...hope for the best....enjoy life.......Better to be train in the martial arts...than not be prepare.....simple huh? .........expect to get hit,kick,smash,club,jump, and so on.... in a fight? ...but fight back.....there are no rules....someone will walk away...the other? ...SO IF ATTACK....FIGHT BACK....does it matter who wins? ...along as you know you tried your best .........Aloha

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look at how you train. develop a attitude of not giving up. Many M/A practitioners really think they are much better then they really are. It is a sad truth You have an instructor other fellow students you train and deal with. You train most sparing M/A type of your style at your scool Not much real life resistive action based on non structured street performance. Those different methods that you would face on the streets. distance control changes. Speed changes attack aproach changes. It is not like clas where you can work together that person meaned to Fight you.So people get beat because they well played at fighting not looking at the minds side which is intent. I does not mean you go out and fight You just train hard learn from that the tools you can use well THOSE are the simple tools not the fancy pretty stuff You practice and I look good doing this or that. because no fight is pretty. And do not let people tell you the tools will be there when needed. Thats a joke. They are not there if You and your art is not part of you. Style is the way you learn the tools After its all you how you can use them That alone is what you need in any fight Reaction drills train to respond work the different ranges. keeping it simple And learn from each spar be it contact or not what you can put together well and what you are weak at. But remember M/A is also about learning to fight so you never have to fight. Then you will only fight when you must.

Gman

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with Robert.

The not giving up thing is really important. The willingness to actually *harm* another person when you're in an ugly situation is also really important (if you half-*** your punch because you don't really want to hit someone, you're going to be in trouble).

Training hard, and definitely sparring (not point sparring) really helps with this. Also, it helps you realize you can take a punch or three.

Latest Discussions