When someone beats you at your own.

Soldier

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am just wondering, have anyone been in this position.
You are a Korean and someone who is non-Korean beats you in TKD.
Or you are Russian and someone beats you in Systema.
TM, Kung fu etc.
I am just wondering, do you feel like your home have been invaded or you don't care?
If you have been there, it's interesting to hear how you felt.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm American and got my butt kicked at baseball all the time when I was younger. Didn't really matter, I never really liked baseball in the first place.

We are all human, and just because you are born in a certain area of the world doesn't give you any special affinity for a certain task over someone else.

What would really bother me is if a non-American became the fattest person in the world...than we truly would have been beaten at our own game...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
What would really bother me is if a non-American became the fattest person in the world...than we truly would have been beaten at our own game...
Perish the thought....

I was told by my Sabumnim that Koreans definately do not like to loose in TKD against other nationalities. But, you create a sport, make it world wide, and the world embraces it and eventually beats you, seems like "you made your bed, now sleep in it" to me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me it is a case of each teacher trying to make their students better than they are so I see no discrace in being beaten by one of my students students. Now i was born in the USA so unless one of my students starts teaching in a different place I do not have the problem discribed .
I have also been told that the Koreans do not like to get beat by non Koreans but. Hey things happen,.
I do understand the national pride thats way Americans will not have a World Series with Japan

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is the dedication (read: amount of practice/training/effort put in) to the (martial) art not the nationality/race that determines how good a person can be in it.
Segal is one fine example that I can think of. An american (italian american at that) kicks butt in aikido and has japanese students... go figgure that one. Simple, he put the time/effort into it.
Your race or where you were born, your social status, religion, whatever, doesn't have a damn thing to do with how good you are/can be.
:asian:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Soldier said:

I came from two Korean parents (although born in the USA), and yes, I have lost to people in various Tae Kwon Do matches (both non-full contact and full contact), during my time in the style. Some were losses to other Koreans, while some were losses to other nationalities, including Americans.

I feel no shame in this, since my losses were to either superior talents and / or those who trained harder and smarter. If someone can defeat me in a match, then I'll sleep well at night knowing that I gave it my best, and someone beat me when I gave my best. Well, that, plus I slept better at night after having downed several rounds of stout ale!

The only time I feel shame in losing, is when I haven't given it my best, and that has nothing to do with race, color, creed, etc.

I am just wondering, do you feel like your home have been invaded or you don't care?

An opponent is an opponent, is an opponent, regardless of race, color, creed, etc. If I lose to someone, I don't really think much of what listing his race is, unless he lists his race as "Master" or something otherwise unwholesome.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
An opponent is an opponent, is an opponent, regardless of race, color, creed, etc. If I lose to someone, I don't really think much of what listing his race is, unless he lists his race as "Master" or something otherwise unwholesome.
AMEN!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soldier said:
Or you are Russian and someone beats you in Systema.
TM, Kung fu etc.
If you have been there, it's interesting to hear how you felt.

I'm sure that there will be some feelings that are hurt. No different than a sports team. If the home team gets beat by the visiting team, I'm sure they're going to feel a bit down.

Everyone has their good and bad days!

Mike

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:

I'll get right on it.. Taking one for the team!!

Buffet ho!

Latest Discussions