My first competition

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Good work! Congratulations. A person always learns the most during their first competition, don't they? This is great that you have a good activity to participate in with your family.

Yes, that is so true Jonathan! What I am hoping for is that I can remember what I learned and apply it properly. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm so proud of you!!!!!! :partyon:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome Lisa! I missed the opportunity to wish you luck. :(
I would have known you'd do great though. So. cool. Congrats! :asian:

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to the next competition.

Umm.. anyone know where I can get a left handed competition air rifle... cheap :D

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Second Air rifle competition under my belt! :D

Scores: 306/400 445/600

I really worked on my shooting "kata" sorta speak today. Remembering each and every movement to try to get the "10" shot. Remembering where to place the butt of the rifle and I could tell from the minute I lifted my rifle into position if I had a good stance or not. Knowing and realising this "feeling" allowed me to have a lot less "snowbirds" (shots outside of the black rings) and my consistancy was greater. I remembered about follow through this time and didn't pop my head up immediately upon firing to see what I scored.

One important thing I had to remember was even when a shot was less then perfect to hold my position and bring the sights back to where they should have been and hold it there. I found it was practice for my brain to remember where I should have been instead of where I was. I knew each and every bad shot I took even before I lowered my rifle. I also felt every good shot and tried to remember that for the next one.

I seem to be pretty good at not worrying about the last shot and carrying on. A lot of competitive shooters I know carry each bad shot with them through the competition and it plays havoc on their confidence and leads to a poor all round performance as well. I am new to the sport, so anything I shoot is good. :D I don't have the pressure of doing well, yet. ;)

I tried a different jacket this time and it helped. It was tighter and fit better then the one I used last time. It allowed me to sink into my stance easier and my the muscles of my back and buttocks weren't as tired as they were last time.

All around I had another great time. Still looking for that left handed competition air rifle if anyone has one laying around :D

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey! I haven't seen this thread until now. Congratulations, you did great! Keep it up!

- Ceicei

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! Sounds like your hard work and attention to detail is paying off. Makes me remember learning Cross Country Skiing, which has very little relation to Downhill Skiing. It's been great to read your threads over the past months and see how much work you are putting into becoming the best you can in your pursuits. This is the best lesson you can give your children - leadership by example.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This weekend in Toronto is the Canadian Grand Prix. Air Rifle shooters from all over the world come to participate in this event. My daughter was scheduled to go as a representative of the Manitoba Women's air rifle team. Unfortunately, she has fallen sick and can not atttend so in their infinite wisdom they are sending...... me:erg:

The opportunity is fantastic. I know I will learn a lot, see a lot and probably enjoy myself immensely. The only problem is that I really don't feel "ready" for that level of competition. I am scared and excited at the same time.

This competition is huge, with hundreds of shooters participating. I just hope I can make my team proud. I wanna do well for my daughter since she can't attend.

I haven't had much practice with my new rifle. I am going to concentrate on having a good time and not on my scores.

Anyone have any advice as to how to calm my nerves, and concentrate? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
This weekend in Toronto is the Canadian Grand Prix. Air Rifle shooters from all over the world come to participate in this event. My daughter was scheduled to go as a representative of the Manitoba Women's air rifle team. Unfortunately, she has fallen sick and can not atttend so in their infinite wisdom they are sending...... me:erg:

The opportunity is fantastic. I know I will learn a lot, see a lot and probably enjoy myself immensely. The only problem is that I really don't feel "ready" for that level of competition. I am scared and excited at the same time.

This competition is huge, with hundreds of shooters participating. I just hope I can make my team proud. I wanna do well for my daughter since she can't attend.

I haven't had much practice with my new rifle. I am going to concentrate on having a good time and not on my scores.

Anyone have any advice as to how to calm my nerves, and concentrate? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Having a good time is key. We tend to be our own worst enemies shooting. I shoot skeet competitively. When I just watch the targets and have fun, my scores are great. When I dwell on a miss, its all over but the crying. You are on the right track with a "kata" or mantra. I go through my mental checklist before I call for the target. Things like gun mount, stance, break points and hold points. Its a simple repetitive process that makes a huge difference

Good luck

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa, just look at it this way - the competition is nothing compared to the plane ride so once you get there it's all downhill, right?

Breathe, relax, and breathe some more. The stars say you will return safely. *huggles*

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Lisa, just look at it this way - the competition is nothing compared to the plane ride so once you get there it's all downhill, right?

Breathe, relax, and breathe some more. The stars say you will return safely. *huggles*

LOL!

You, my friend, are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much help! ;)

did I mention I HATE to fly?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just enjoy yourself and do the basics...

relax, inhale, exhale, squeeze! Of course I am sure you already know about that. :D Oh, lay off the coffee before hand... :rofl:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Oh, lay off the coffee before hand... :rofl:

Definately! Then when you get on the plane, go straight to the hard stuff! You'll be fine. Passing out has a way of making the trip seem faster. :)

Oh, and, Good luck in the competition!

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Just enjoy yourself and do the basics...

relax, inhale, exhale, squeeze! Of course I am sure you already know about that. :D Oh, lay off the coffee before hand... :rofl:

LOL! Yeah, like THAT will EVER happen! :D

I shot a competition last weekend. I thought I was shooting the third relay and ended up that I shot the first. I had a extra large timmy's coffee on the way to the range. Talk about "shakin' " Every time I lifted the rifle and tried to put it in position, I felt like I was looking down the barrel during an earth quake :erg: I shoot Saturday at 2:30 pm and Sunday morning at 8:00 am. No coffee for me on Sunday morning, not sure anyone will want to be around me...hopefully they will have a cup waiting for me once I am off the line... they will if they know what is good for them ;)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
modarnis said:
Having a good time is key. We tend to be our own worst enemies shooting. I shoot skeet competitively. When I just watch the targets and have fun, my scores are great. When I dwell on a miss, its all over but the crying. You are on the right track with a "kata" or mantra. I go through my mental checklist before I call for the target. Things like gun mount, stance, break points and hold points. Its a simple repetitive process that makes a huge difference

Good luck

Speaking of making a difference. Last night my coach made me shoot without my rear sights. I was a little skeptical when he started adjusting my cheek piece so much. However, I was proven wrong when he returned my sights to me and the next 10 shots were 8, 9, and 10s.

He also adjusted my "kata" a little. Telling me to close my eyes before I place my head on the cheek piece and concentrate on the position of my head and where it falls on the cheek piece as opposed to looking down my sights. I was amazed that when I did this, I found myself looking straight down the sights every time. It was cool.

So much to learn. So litle time before the competition. ;)

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Lisa!

I'm terribly sorry that I hadn't noticed this thread earlier... you know me, i skim the ladies area and then right to the kenpo. It sounds like you are doing awesome! I hope you have a great time on the weekend competition. The family must be so thrilled that you're doing this together!

Peace,

Donna :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I WON GOLD!!!!! :D

Okay...so...I was the only marksman woman, LOL!

The weekend was fantastic! 194 shooters from USA, Canada, Japan and Australia, plus coaches.

I did decent considering I was fighting jittery nerves during the first match. I shot a 291/400 which is lower then my personal best. My second match was much better at 315/400 which matched my personal best.

Modarnis, I want to thank you for your post about a bad shot and dwelling on it. I shot a two during the second match. I thought about what you said and just giggled to myself. I then looked behind me to see my team mate looking like this: :erg: in reaction to my 2. It made me laugh so hard, I almost fell out of position! After that, I was so relaxed that my next two strings were very decent. Your advice, it really relaxed me and got my head back together. Instead of shooting a 40 shot match, I shot 40, one shot matches. Every shot was individual and when over, I put it out of my mind. :)

I think the best part of the weekend was having all those shooters and coaches together sharing ideas and helping and supporting each other. I had many congratulations from high end shooters for my great scores. I was truly touched by their advice and attention. I had one top Canadian coach approach me about my stance and show me how to lock my hip better. It was truly a humbling experience. I am so happy I went and I learned so much, the experience itself is priceless. Kinda reminded me of MT only in actual person. A group of people from all ranges of experience and talent coming together for one purpose, to help each other grow as athletes, have a friendly competition and ensure that everyone comes away feeling their best about the experiences. It was heart warming.

So, once again, thanks everyone for your support. I can't wait until next year! :D

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quick note. Long ago my shooting coach was having a hard time getting a students grip consistant (that would be me). He finally told me to grip the rifle like I would a rattlesnake, firm enough so I wouldn't drop it, but light enough so I wouldn't hurt it either. Fixed it in a heartbeat and it has stuck with me for all these years. The grip improved my scores better than ANY other fix I ever did (other than practice, practice, practice!!)

Scott G.

Latest Discussions