My first competition

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So after MANY MANY MANY years for swearing I will never pick up a rifle and shoot in competitions, I am giving in and shooting my first air rifle competition this weekend.

I figure if I start a thread about it here, I can't back out!:)

It is a standing 10 meter air rifle competition. I am borrowing the rifle because I am the only left handed shooter in my family. I am borrowing a jacket and glove.

It is the first competition of the season so I figure everybody is out of practice, right? So I won't do too badly, lol.

Anyways, was wondering if anyone had some sound advice for me.

Here are a few things I know I have to remember. Please help me if you can and expand on them.

Body Position and Grip: My stance needs to be steady and comfortable. 60 shots needs to be done in 1 hour and 45 minutes. A grip can make or break a shot. If the rifle is held too tight this can affect your grip and can tire you easily during the match.

Breathing: Hold my breath right before I pull the trigger but not too long otherwise I will fatigue.

Trigger pull and follow through: This should be one fluid motion and the movement of the finger should be the only part moving on the gun. Follow through is important because any immediate movement after the trigger is pulled could cause the shot to go astray.

That is what I have so far. If anyone can give me some advice I would appreciate it. My husband has been great at helping me get ready but any little bit will help.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't shot a firearm since I was about 12 years old, when a deputy sheriff who was a friend of my father's let he and I do it. I took one shot and definitely felt the kickback! Anyway, no advice, but good luck!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RELAX that is the key to it usualy

Breath slowly and dont force your breathing

Good Luck

let us know how it goes

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Let us know how it goes!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck!

Do lots of visualization drills at this point, do them right up to your turn at the firing line...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm so proud! You didn't tell me.

Relax and just do what you know. Enjoy yourself and please tell us how it goes.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Good luck!

Do lots of visualization drills at this point, do them right up to your turn at the firing line...

Thanks everyone. I truly am excited. My daughter (youngest) thinks it is funny that mom is finally picking up a gun.

I have heard of visualization drills. Thanks for the info Tom. It is like doing a kata of sorts, starting from the first moment you step up and set your position, load, aim, fire, follow through and reload etc.

Visualization of a perfect shot is very important.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Theres been studies that even show that lifters who visualize a lot are actually stronger...has to do with better muscle recruitment. The mind is vastly under utilized.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The visualization is one of the first things they coach us about.

We have a fantastic young shooter on the Manitoba Team that is on her way to the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne Australia in March 2006. She is 15 and has won major competitions this year. Her ability to visualize her shots is phenomenal. The concentration on her face and the "trance" she actually seems to put herself in is amazing to watch. She has such a bubbly "kid like" personality off the line but once she steps onto it, everything seems to calm and her training takes over.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm proud of you! Regardless of how well you do, going there and putting yourself on the line is a victory in itself.
:mp5:
:mp5: :CTF:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Good lick lisa. Please get some pics of you shooting.
Terry

Sorry Lisa just notice I spelled it lick instead of Luck my humble apology.
terry

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good for you...I think you'll be surprised how much you enjoy it. Remember to breathe (of course, I know nothing about shooting, but I do know nervous!:)).

What made you decide to actually compete? Do we see grappling comps in your future as well?;)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Sorry Lisa just notice I spelled it lick instead of Luck my humble apology.
terry

LOL! tis okay Terry! I understood what you meant. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just two bits of advice, since you already have a good bit of familiarity.

Relax your shoulders. When people tense their shoulders, it tends to throw off one's aim, especially when they start to fatigue.

Know the breaking point of your trigger. Gently pull it back until you hit that breaking point, and then from there, follow through with a gentle squeezing motion. You'll know when you've jerked the trigger.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Just two bits of advice, since you already have a good bit of familiarity.

Relax your shoulders. When people tense their shoulders, it tends to throw off one's aim, especially when they start to fatigue.

I have a hard time with this sometimes. Relaxing the shoulders especially if I don't find myself into a good steady position when I first pick up the rifle. I used to struggle and repetitively raise and lower the front of the barrel. I also have a tendancy to hold the rifle too long waiting to steady my shot. Apparently a lot of beginners struggle with this. What I have found is if one can't get into a good position within the first say 30 seconds or so, put the rifle down! Start again. This decreases your fatigue and allows you a chance to refocus.

Know the breaking point of your trigger. Gently pull it back until you hit that breaking point, and then from there, follow through with a gentle squeezing motion. You'll know when you've jerked the trigger.

Another good point, very true. And adjusting the trigger to your preference is important. I remember my husband using someone else's gun once and the trigger was much more sensitive then he was used to. He threw a shot or two because of it.

Thanks Grenadier for the advice.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had such a blast! These were my scores.

String 1 = 66
String 2 = 63
String 3 = 75
String 4 = 70
String 5 = 60
String 6 = 76

Each string consists of 10 shots at 10 metres.

Generally I wanted to try and shoot above 200/400 and 300/600. Which I succeeded in doing. :D I came off the line very pumped from my performance. I had borrowed a jacket and glove from other members and was using an Anschutz lever action air rifle.

I learned a lot today about the sport. Stance is extremely important and it didn't take me long to realise a good shot compared to a bad one before I even brought the target back. It is really hard to keep your hips square. What I thought was a square position the head coach later showed me was not. I don't deviate far from square but when he posititioned me, I was amazed at the difference. Although my scores range from 1's to 10's every low shot was followed by a good/better shot. I tried so hard not to let the bad shots ruin my day and tried to remember what worked as to how I was standing, where my cheek was on the cheek piece.

I was very happy with my performance and I will definitely do this again at the next match. Sorry there are no pictures as well all forgot about the camera in my purse. :)

Many of the competitors use constant air guns. I am glad I used the lever action. It forced me to slow down and contemplate my next shot. Plus it allowed me to move my arms a bit more. However, cocking the gun and lifting it 60+ times sure is tiring. The Canvass/leather jackets are very warm and your glove hand sweats like a pig!

My shooting "kata" needs some work, I was I guess not as focused at times and I should have been and would lift my rifle and start getting into position only to look through my sights and realise I had forgot to send the next target down range. Or I would squeeze the trigger and nothing would happen cause I had forgotten to close the action. :D.

My other big "oops" is my follow through. I guess I was so anxious to see what I had shot that I would immediately pop up my head once the shot was taken when I should really wait. Basic beginners nerves and mistake. During the last string, which was my best, I truly tried to reset my sites on the target before bringing the gun down after the shot was taken.

So, I wonder if I have found a new sport. I certainly can say that it was a blast and everyone was so supportive of me, helping me out before, during and after the match. They truly are a great bunch of people :)

I think I will do some investigating as to the many different air rifles available.

Thanks everyone for your support. If you have any other advice before the next match I would appreciate all I could get. Any reading material would be a great asset and if anyone has any preferences on these air rifles and has a comment about their performance, I would really like to hear that too.

Lisa

(p.s. My youngest daughter double loaded her rifle causing her to have two zeros on the first string which ended up giving her a string of 72. Her pellets then accidentally got knocked to the floor by another shooter and her hand slipped and almost sent her rifle on the ground.

Through all these mess ups, she remained calm and focused and pulled off a 512/600 with her final string being a 96. She beat her personal best by 6 points. Not too shabby for an 11 year old. :) )

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good work! Congratulations. A person always learns the most during their first competition, don't they? This is great that you have a good activity to participate in with your family.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
CONGRATZ!....sounds very good to me for your first competition
WooHOO:partyon:

Latest Discussions