Music Videos

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend sent me this link... a cute little quiz about your knowledge of Music Videos. I got 6/10.

Also, what was the first music video you ever remember seeing? Mine was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Refugee". It was basically Tom and his band standing around singing to the camera while the camera moved around. Really lame compared to today's videos :D

http://www.channelone.com/music/2004/10/14/music_videos/

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about the 1st Video I ever saw was "Video killed the radio star" by the Buggles.
Quite fitting

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first "video" was It's Only Rock and Roll by the Rolling Stones....

way back when Brian Jones was still in the band!

Oh yea..........9/10.
jessica simpson makes me wanna puke!
so I missed that one!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I've seen lots of "videos" of rock artists (before MTV existed), I guess the first official video I remember seeing on MTV was "Cuts like a Knife" by Bryan Adams; I was at a friend's house & it was a few months before my family got cable (early 1982). I guess that's why I'll never forget seeing Bryan Adams playing that guitar in the empty swimming pool! :lol:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh good grief.. My poor old brain can't possibly remember the first one I ever saw... I have never been 'into' music videos.. prolly cuz when I actually see the performer.. I get disillusioned ;)

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Cool! 9/10. I think the first video that made an impression was Devo's Whip It! Whip it good!

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Cool! 9/10. I think the first video that made an impression was Devo's Whip It! Whip it good!
LOL! I haven't thought of that song is so long! Thanks, now I will be singing it all afternoon :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
6/10 was my score... I haven't watch M-tee-vee in a long LONG time. Videos have gotten... :idunno: too weird.

My FIRST music video(s) was the film: "Hard Days Night" by the Beatles. Then Help!, Yellow Submarine and once and only once... :Magicial Mystery Tour". THAT my friends is hard to find now-a-days.

First MTV vid I remember was probably Brian Adams' "Gonna Make You Mine."

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
I always got a kick out of "Satisfaction" by Devo and also "Freedom of Choice". The de-evolution of Man

K

Kempogeek

Growing up I remember seeing "The Monkees" on Saturday mornings. So that would have to be my first encounter with music videos. I didn't get MTV until 1985 when my neighborhood finally got cable.......I agree with you Bammx2 about J. Simpson. Whoever told her that she could sing. Unfortunately at work her remake of "Take My Breath Away" come on and have to go in the bathroom to puke. :cool: Her voice is like fingernails on a blackboard.....MACaver, MMT is available on DVD from Amazon.com but it's not recommended according to the reviews from customers. BTW, I got 10/10 even the J. Simpson question which scares the living daylights out of me. Took a wild guess on that one. Best regards, Steve

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] Her voice is like fingernails on a blackboard
icon10.gif

I had no idea she butchered Berlin!
She doesn't have HALF the talent of Terri Nunn and NONE of the looks!

ACK!

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I ended up with 5/10 which isn't exactly horrible considering I was guessing on a lot of them. I was only pretty sure on 2 or 3, and missed a couple I had narrowed down to 50/50.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey I got 6/10 too Lisa!!! And i'm right up there with you Kai, the first video i saw was "Video Killed the Radio Star"!!!!! Wow! Guess i'm really dating myself now!!!

Donna :ultracool

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
Growing up I remember seeing "The Monkees" on Saturday mornings. So that would have to be my first encounter with music videos. I didn't get MTV until 1985 when my neighborhood finally got cable.......I agree with you Bammx2 about J. Simpson. Whoever told her that she could sing. Unfortunately at work her remake of "Take My Breath Away" come on and have to go in the bathroom to puke. :cool: Her voice is like fingernails on a blackboard.....MACaver, MMT is available on DVD from Amazon.com but it's not recommended according to the reviews from customers. BTW, I got 10/10 even the J. Simpson question which scares the living daylights out of me. Took a wild guess on that one. Best regards, Steve
True MMT was NOT their best effort cinematically. But then when you're part of the psychodelic LSD crowd you aim to please. Unfortunately for them (probably fortunately for us) they only managed to please aurally not visually.

Ah, thank you. The Americanized attempt at the Beatles was a very noble effort indeed. The (hey hey we're the ..) Monkees. Led by madman Mikey Dolenz who turned out more creative genus than the producers thought the band would. But there was also (when I was a keed) this other Saturday Morning band ... anyone else (old enough) to remember these guys? heh heh

Attachments

• $bannawobblerslg.jpe
    31.5 KB · Views: 159

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
HA!!!

The Bananna Splitz!!!!
I learned to tell time cause of them!
Oh God.....strike that last remark:erg:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nalia said:
what was the first music video you ever remember seeing? Mine was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Refugee". It was basically Tom and his band standing around singing to the camera while the camera moved around. Really lame compared to today's videos
Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have kicked you around some. Who knows, maybe you were kidnapped, tied-up, taken away, and held for ransom... huh, lame?

btw, i must be getting old and mellow. i used to hate hearing great tunes used for product endorsements. like clapton doing 'after midnight' for beer and them using 'revolution' for something or other. then neil young blasted all of them for 'selling out' with "this notes for you" (anyone remember that one)...

but i gotta say, i love hearing "the weight" by the band for all those tv commercials lately... i'm waiting for the outback or applebees to pick up 'alice's restaurant' next...

pete.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
MACaver said:
I haven't watch M-tee-vee in a long LONG time. Videos have gotten... :idunno: too weird.
isn't because they've gotten too wierd...it's because MTV doesn't really play music videos anymore...unless you're awake between two and six am...then they do the insomniac thing and play rock videos for hours.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the music video that inspired my to learn the guitar was "November Rain" by Guns 'n' Roses...

Slash in the middle of nowhere ripping off that solo...nevermind that musical tastes don't really runs toward that music....but it was a cool image

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
8 for 10 .... I got lucky on a lot of guesses. I know nothing of music videos for the last 12 or 13 years.

I remember staying up to watch 'Friday Night Videos'. As I recall, it showed an hours worth of videos late at night, before the MTV era. We only had the 'BASIC' cable growing up, so even after MTV was out, I still couldn't see it for a few years.

I certainly don't remember what video was the first I saw ... but those Duran Duran videos were memorable at the time. I didn't like Duran Duran, but the images from their videos were memorable.

Latest Discussions