Music to train to

Malleus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I had a search of the forums for any similar thread, and couldn't find one. Regardless, it may not be in the appropriate place, if so, apologies.

Does anyone here have a favourite playlist with which to train to? Given that at the moment I'm training alone until I get summer exams out of the way, and am concentrating on conditioning moreso than technique, I find it great to have an iPod set up with some psych-up tunes. Obviously, this wouldn't be appropriate in an instructional environment, but if you're on your own in the gym or even practicing kata or shadowboxing, give it a go!

Personally, I find a lot of my stuff to be aggressive/energetic music (though none of this 'Drowning Pool' stuff, or similar.) I'll spare you the obvious stuff like Survivor's Eye of the Tiger or Jackson's Beat it. A few more obscure tracks follow:

(Dance Parties Distant-65DoS)[Postrock/mathrock-but with one hell of an electric edge.]

(Hysteria-Muse)[I liked them before they became popular, and amn't impressed anymore. /hipster statement]

(Ocean-John Butler Trio)[Amazing acoustic, and one I listen happily to outside of a training scenario. Give it a minute to kick in :) ]

(Weapon of Choice- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)

(Propellor-Tubelord)[Trippy video- And I had a nice chat with the band, sound fellas.]

(Laughing all the way to the plank- Elle Milano)

(Cassius-Foals) [Boppy]

(A Little Bit of Solidarity Goes A Long Way- ASIWYFA)[Post rock instrumental]

(Basis of Everything-Delorentos)[Irish and class]

(Great Expectations-Gaslight Anthem)[I see these boys play London this summer! Springsteen-ish]

(Deadwood-Dirty Pretty Things) [Hyper and anthemic]

So theres 11 songs with a bit of diversity thrown in. Many more where they came from. How about yourselves? Any favourites you'd like to share?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the dojo, no music. Sometimes sensei puts on some kind of funky dance music for calisthenics, it's a killer workout. Most times, nothing.

In the gym, it's another story. I plug my Sansa Clip into my head and rock it on out on the elliptical or treadmill. Playlist is way too long and varied, eclectic like me. Some recent choices:

Wrinkleneck Mules
Drive By Truckers
Kid Creole
The Streets
Nazareth
5 Chinese Brothers
Mountain
King Crimson
USMC "Jody" Marching songs
Kate Bush
Queen
Pink Floyd
The Tubes
Sir Mix-A-Lot
Presidents of the United States of America
Green Day
Black Flag
X
Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry
Strawberry Switchblade
The Pillows

It kind of goes on like that. What can I say? I'm a complicated dude.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No music in Dojang...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Generally, I do not put on music when I train at the dojang. At home, I put it on just for ambiance. In that case, I listen to what I generally always listen to:

Anime sountracks, classical, anything with Taiko drums. As for specifics...

Barren Cross
Chuck Berry
Black Sabbath
The Commodores
Michael Crawford
Charlie Daniels
Deep Purple
Neil Diamond
Bo Didley
Al DiMeola
Dio
Dokken
Robin Ford
Heart
Billy Idol
Judas Priest
Yngwie Malmsteen
Nightwish
Elvis Presley
Ratt
Rush
Joe Satriani
Billy Squier
Brian Setzer
Stryper
Tarja (sans Nightwish)
ZZ Top

...and an assortment of other music that happens to interest me. The above is certainly not exhaustive; just the most frequent.

On the occasions that I do use music specifically as a training aid, I am fairly picky. Generally, the only thing that I really use music as a training aid for is forms. I do not use it to get psyched up, so I do not pick songs based on how 'pumped up' they can get me.

Eye of the tiger, interestingly, does meet one of my criteria, which is to have a steady and defined rhythm and beat that can be used to time movements to, though this not generally the sort of music that would use as a training aid. Generally, my usage as a training aid rules out some of what I do like; music with varying time signatures for example (that kills a good amount of progressive rock and jazz).

For training aids, I tend towards more classical music, partly because the pieces tend to be longer and because they are played more precisely. One good example is Ravel's Bolero. Not a piece to rev you up, but it is rhythmic, long, and being classical, executed with precision. Waltzes also work well, so Straus is a good choice, and a lot of Tschaikovsky's work meets my needs.

Some of the pieces from Musorsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Yngwie Malmsteen's Concerto Suite, and anything Bach or Beethoven also make my list.

Daniel

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tried to donwload a virus but it turned out to be German techno... :idunno:
(kidding!)

Robyn - Konnichiwa Bitches

Shaun Baker - Xplode 2 (great vid!)

Eminem - Without Me

Bubbles - Bidibodi Bidibu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw5OqBZeJ_o&feature=related

Mo Do - Eins Zwei Polizei (cheesy enough to take my mind of pain...LOL)

Benny Benassi - Satisfaction

Du Hast remixed

Last edited by a moderator:

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score

Slav

White Belt
Reaction score
When I'm training in a gym there is no music there. But when I'm doing it at home I prefer hard-rock (Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Metallica) It's strange but it may influence the training. For example if I choose Bob Marley - I will be somehow lazy :)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At class, there's always traditional Chinese music playing. Mostly, I can't hear it over the groans, though.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess I will be the one who shows some love to rap.

Jedi mind tricks: very hard hitting rapper that makes you want to destroy a heavy bag in half then throw it out the window and run down the stairs and still beat it down in the middle of the street

Immortal technique: his rhymes about revolution and injustice gets my adrenaline spiked

unforunately thats all for rap, i dont like rap that much

For rock, I'd add system of a down (the immortal technique of rock), nine inch nails, rage against the machine.

Latest Discussions