Music and Martial Arts

do you listen to music while in class or teaching class

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you listen to music while taking class or your instructor plays music. I have been to schools that do this but I would rather not what are your thoughts.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hhhmmm... no we don't. I wonder what the appropriate music for submission grappling would be? I think it would be kinda weird. Oh but I know one guy who claims to do capoiera (sp?) to Dancing Queen by AbbA :p

(sorry FWA, I couldn't resist ;) )

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No music in regular class.

In sparring class we frequently play music. The students get to rotate what they bring in so it includes Rap, Techno, Rock, various alternatives, asian music.

It's fun and I get to learn new artists that I might want to listen to.

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
110% of your consitradion is needed to do your Art, so NO MUSIC DURING CLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In regular classes we use music only for the warm-ups, and I think it helps people stay motivated. We don't play music during sparring, but I think sparring would also be a good time because the distractions bring a touch of reality. Occasionally we will use music for forms. Terry, I promise only after the form is ingrained.:)

Fight with attitude

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nalia said:
hhhmmm... no we don't. I wonder what the appropriate music for submission grappling would be? I think it would be kinda weird. Oh but I know one guy who claims to do capoiera (sp?) to Dancing Queen by AbbA :p

(sorry FWA, I couldn't resist ;) )
LOL! I hate you.

I was going to listen to dance music when we had almost no one in the dojo but Andrew Green got really mean and stuck his elbow in my ribs and said your not going to do any capoiera.

Other then that they play rap during class :(

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If where just doing basic catastilics we might play some music if it is convenent

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I could see some reasons, but we don't use it. I think that it might be a good distraction to have music blaring really loud after a form has been practiced for a while to see if the student really learned it well enough and can do it without thinking about it. On the other hand, if I walked into a school for the first time and they were playing rap or country music, I'd probably never join. Not everyone likes the same stuff, so that could get annoying.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a class doing kick boxing and we would play music. Its good to workout to the beat and when you have to 100's of something it keeps you motivated and pumped. Plain exercise doesn't have to be boring.

We also use music for musical form and have to practice that at times. But generally, no, we don't have music on. Its difficult for new people to concentrate for form or even for learning new technique when everyone is keeping up the beat. And if it is a larger group, instruction is hard to hear.
But if it is just workout, and everyone knows how to do front, round, side, axe, crescent etc., I don't see the reason why not. TW

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i like to have native american music or japanese flute music playing when i train.

peace

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Sifu, and the instructor I am currently training with both have music playing in the background during class. Oddly enough they both listen to a local rock station (different towns same type of station).

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes we have background music playing - usually turned off during instruction.

R

Ronald R. Harbers

I voted No. But I do like to listen to "Eruption" by Van Halen right before I begin training. Really get's me going!:)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, but usually just on Saturdays (which is an informal class) or sometimes during sparring on Tuesday nights.

B

blackbeltedbeauty

I do when training by myself but not while teaching. One of my arts is centered around music (my own art, guey lee do) so I listen to it when I'm on my own but not during teaching. :)

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i like to use soft chinese music during tai chi class to calm the mind and regulate the energy in the room. i've introduced this a few times in kenpo classes where i've taught forms with similar intent, to help develop fluidity, whole body unity and internal awareness.

it is important to avoid becoming dependant on the music, just as you shouldn't become dependant on doing your forms only at certain times of the day or night, or in specific locations, or facing the same directions...

pete

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My old instructor played music during drills or sparring. But if we were actually learning something, he wouldn't play music. He'd play anything from rock to techno .... something with a fast beat.

My instructor now doesn't play music, except for the Tai Chi class (chinese music). EEKKK LOL