Music for the masses.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did answer the question. Kelly has been touring and her voice was shot when you saw her. It happens to every singer who tours that much. You are complaining about a stressed voice not her at peak form.
Sean

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ToD, it's not often that I will post a jokey reaction to another members words but ... are you serious?!

The Runaway's may well have been a 'gimmick' purely for the fact that they were an all-girl rock band but I think Lita earned the right to a little respect (and I'm not even a particularly big fan).

Regardless of that, Kreth's point is a perfectly valid one. The only 'modern' band that I've seen in recent times that could carry their songs live was 'Evanescence'.

Recently, I've also seen Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Rush and Whitesnake. One and all were, without exception, superb - that's what a few decades of experience and actually starting out with some talent will get you :).

I'm a guitar player rather than a singer so I actually tend to be more impressed by vocalists as it's something I cannot do and the trend has seemed to be towards technically massaging a pretty persons voice with technology rather than developing people who can write and perform. I guess that I'm biased in this regard tho' as my dad used to be a touring singer before he settled down with my mum, so I suppose I've absorbed his attitudes :eek:.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ToD, it's not often that I will post a jokey reaction to another members words but ... are you serious?!

The Runaway's may well have been a 'gimmick' purely for the fact that they were an all-girl rock band but I think Lita earned the right to a little respect (and I'm not even a particularly big fan).

Regardless of that, Kreth's point is a perfectly valid one. The only 'modern' band that I've seen in recent times that could carry their songs live was 'Evanescence'.

Recently, I've also seen Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Rush and Whitesnake. One and all were, without exception, superb - that's what a few decades of experience and actually starting out with some talent will get you :).

I'm a guitar player rather than a singer so I actually tend to be more impressed by vocalists as it's something I cannot do and the trend has seemed to be towards technically massaging a pretty persons voice with technology rather than developing people who can write and perform. I guess that I'm biased in this regard tho' as my dad used to be a touring singer before he settled down with my mum, so I suppose I've absorbed his attitudes :eek:.
Lita Ford? If she weren't a Runaway it would be Lita Who? I can't believe you are actually comparing Kelly to Lita and siding with Lita. She just doesn't have the Range... period. Yes Lita Ford has worked hard miliking her fame for every drop its worth, but when it comes to ability... well lets just say upstarts like Charolette Church are better. Its not fair but its true. You may as well say Lita is better than Kate Bush, because, at least, she toured. In Bizzaro World... maybe.
Sean

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, no my friend, I'm not doing a comparison.

I may have heard the name of Kelly Clarkson but I could well be misleading myself because of the existence of Kelly Osbourne and Jeremy Clarkson :eek:.

I hadn't realised that you were focussed on Lita Ford rather than a more general discourse on the decline of actual talent in modern music; my apologies.

If you're a fan of Ms Clarkson then it's not for me to say whether you're right or wrong, especially as I've never heard her.

If she's the output product for a 'hit factory' tho' I'm willing to bet that the likes of Judie Tzuke, Carly Simon, Amy Studt, Chantal Kreviazuk, Kirsten, Beverley Craven, Vanessa Carlton, Natalie Imbuglia or Dido would fare well by comparison (but then I do appreciate female singer/songwriters, so my opinion gets somewhat skewed).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, no my friend, I'm not doing a comparison.

I may have heard the name of Kelly Clarkson but I could well be misleading myself because of the existence of Kelly Osbourne and Jeremy Clarkson :eek:.

I hadn't realised that you were focussed on Lita Ford rather than a more general discourse on the decline of actual talent in modern music; my apologies.

If you're a fan of Ms Clarkson then it's not for me to say whether you're right or wrong, especially as I've never heard her.

If she's the output product for a 'hit factory' tho' I'm willing to bet that the likes of Judie Tzuke, Carly Simon, Amy Studt, Chantal Kreviazuk, Kirsten, Beverley Craven, Vanessa Carlton, Natalie Imbuglia or Dido would fare well by comparison (but then I do appreciate female singer/songwriters, so my opinion gets somewhat skewed).
You would do best to take Dido off the list. I haven't heared of most the artists you mentioned but Carly Simon would fall short on ability but not songwriting... I mean, she is Carly Simon for God's sake.
Sean

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi again, Sean

Just a quick update as I've had a browse around YouTube for Kelly Clarkson songs as I thought as she'd centred a bit in our posts I ought to know what she sounds like.

Not too bad I have to say. I know that 'output' is always going to be as perfect as possible but,other than being a little narrow ranged, Kelly's got a capable voice it seems. If I have a criticism it's that she sings from 'the palette' rather than 'the stomach' which makes her voice a tad 'thin' (and possibly what's damaged her 'pipes' if she's oversung). Not a terrible fault tho', Ms Craven has the same atribute (because she's a pianist first I suspect).

Altho' I personally sing like a ruptured bullfrog, I have near perfect pitch (Nature's so cruel sometimes :D) which means that if someone is off even a little, I notice ... and if they are bad it is actually physically painful for me (see previous note about the cruelty of Nature :)). Kelly didn't hurt me, so that's to the good :tup:.

I listened to 'Because of You' and 'Addicted'. She reminds me of someone else in her style and I can't put my finger on who at the moment, to my annoyance. It might be Gaye Advert (from an old punk band called, oddly enough, "The Adverts" :D) but I wouldn't put money on it.

Anyhow, the long and the short of it is, I think, that our tastes differ somewhat but I'd still recommend you dig out a few songs by the lasses I mentioned. You never know, you might find something you like.

I'd particularly recommend Beverley Craven for 'nice', emotive music ... quick search of the Net for a link ... crikey! ... gets all excited ... she's doing a new album ... cue me running around the room with my shirt on my head :lol:.

http://www.beverleycraven.net/news.html

Latest Discussions