Mummy 3 (with Jet Li & Michelle Yeoh)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
.... you've got Michelle Yeoh wallpapers on your computer don't you? C'mon admit it... :wink2: :lol:

she IS a pretty lady... for you Exile... from one admirer to another.

(oh yeah... read the text in the 5th picture (black-n-white photo black shirt)... a tough lady, an admirable lady.

Oh and some trivia ... (while we're on the subject)... from IMDB.com
In 1985, she began making action movies with D&B Films of Hong Kong. She was first billed as Michelle Khan, then later, Michelle Yeoh. Never a trained martial artist, she relied on her dance discipline and her on-set trainers to prepare for her martial arts action scenes.
One of the only female stars whom Jackie Chan lets do her own stunts.
Miss Malaysia [1983]
Fought her way to the top in the male-dominated genre of Hong Kong action films, where she has been known for years as the "queen of martial arts". (oh the irony of that!)
Has a Bachelor's Degree in Dance from the Royal Academy of Dance (London, England).
One of the highest paid Chinese-language actresses in the world.
Highest paid actress in Asia.
Released a single CD in 1993, "Love Quite Like a Comet", from her movie Xin liu xing hu die jian (1993).

All those pictures...... you are trying very very hard to get me into a whole lot of trouble aren't you? :disgust: :uhyeah:

I will be going to see mummy 3, I have to, I saw mummy 1 and 2.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ruh-oh! This quote from IGN http://movies.ign.com/articles/765/765359p1.html?RSSwhen2007-02-16_093800&RSSid=765359 may not go over too well with Exile...

Dang!! You're right, MA-C, it doesn't!! :(

And thanks very much for those most excellent shotes of MY... you know, everyone who wrote about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon made much of that young actress, what's-her-name, Zhang Ziyi, and how drop-dead gorgeous she was and so on... but I just don't think she held a candle to Yeoh. Not even close. In a way, that was fine, because MY's character had far more emotional depth and complexity, this sense of radience tightly controlled and concealed... and you can see in those pictures that MY is stunning enough herself. Very much appreciated! :asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I thought Jet Li was retired? Hm. Must have run out of money before he reached nirvana.

D.

Actually, he "retired" from doing martial art epics, like Fearless, Hero, and the like. He is apparently perfectly capable of giving us another "Cradle 2 the Grave." Oy.

Lamont

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought Jet Li was retired? Hm. Must have run out of money before he reached nirvana.

D.
Li said he's done with Epic historical dramas (Hero, Once Upon A Time In China, et al) and wants to continue acting. Him run out of money? Hardly. At the risk of stereotyping, asians tend to be very frugal and thus Li will be very nicely well off when he finally does retire... if ever. I can see him continuing with acting even into his 80's.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.... you've got Michelle Yeoh wallpapers on your computer don't you? C'mon admit it... :wink2: :lol:

she IS a pretty lady... for you Exile... from one admirer to another.

(oh yeah... read the text in the 5th picture (black-n-white photo black shirt)... a tough lady, an admirable lady.

Oh and some trivia ... (while we're on the subject)... from IMDB.com
In 1985, she began making action movies with D&B Films of Hong Kong. She was first billed as Michelle Khan, then later, Michelle Yeoh. Never a trained martial artist, she relied on her dance discipline and her on-set trainers to prepare for her martial arts action scenes.
One of the only female stars whom Jackie Chan lets do her own stunts.
Miss Malaysia [1983]
Fought her way to the top in the male-dominated genre of Hong Kong action films, where she has been known for years as the "queen of martial arts". (oh the irony of that!)
Has a Bachelor's Degree in Dance from the Royal Academy of Dance (London, England).
One of the highest paid Chinese-language actresses in the world.
Highest paid actress in Asia.
Released a single CD in 1993, "Love Quite Like a Comet", from her movie Xin liu xing hu die jian (1993).

If she would give me the time of Day I would spend it with her. ;) :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang!! You're right, MA-C, it doesn't!! :(

And thanks very much for those most excellent shotes of MY... you know, everyone who wrote about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon made much of that young actress, what's-her-name, Zhang Ziyi, and how drop-dead gorgeous she was and so on... but I just don't think she held a candle to Yeoh. Not even close. In a way, that was fine, because MY's character had far more emotional depth and complexity, this sense of radience tightly controlled and concealed... and you can see in those pictures that MY is stunning enough herself. Very much appreciated! :asian:

I agree exile, Yeoh's Character was much more intense and in my opinion better looking as well. :D ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst I agree utterly at the heightened attractiveness of a 'woman' rather than a 'girl', give Zhang Yiyi time.

Remember that she does have the advantage that Jackie Chan has taken her under his wing and has been training her for the more athletic and martial scenes.

In years to come I feel she will take on the mantle of Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung Man Yuk as she matures.

Right now tho'. Ms Yeoh has that frissable mix of sexy and capable that stirs the heart - the dojo fight from Crouching Hamster Hidden Wombat (sorry, I don't call it that but my missus does :eek:) is the only film scene that I've watched again and again and again (including at slow speed so I can actually see what she's doing).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sure....right.... both of you try to take the high road and discuss her acting (although it is good).. I am NOT buying it

I agree exile, Yeoh's Character was much more intense and in my opinion better looking as well.

Well Michelle Yeoh was Miss Malaysia in 1983 after all.... NOT that I am impressed or anything... or would actually know such things..:uhohh:

You know all of you seem to be trying to get me into a WHOLE lot of trouble here

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was speaking to two Chinese girls I know from HK about Zhang Ziyi. They thought that Michelle Yeoh, and Gong Li for that matter, was better looking. It was interesting to get that inside the culture perspective on this sort of thing.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, while Yeoh and Ziyi are both beautiful these girls are just as fine Qi Shu and Zhao Wei

But we're talking about the movie the Mummy here... :D lets not get (too far) off topic :uhyeah:

Attachments

• $zhao_wei_6.jpg
    $zhao_wei_6.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 154
  • $shu-qi.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 161

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, while Yeoh and Ziyi are both beautiful these girls are just as fine Qi Shu and Zhao Wei

But we're talking about the movie the Mummy here... :D lets not get (too far) off topic :uhyeah:

Yes, but can they kick butt?

Do they do martial arts?

Are they dangerous? :EG:

Now.. if I get in trouble over this I blame you.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, but can they kick butt?

Do they do martial arts?

Are they dangerous? :EG:

Now.. if I get in trouble over this I blame you.
Yes

Yes

Yes

Doubtful you'll get in trouble.

Rent the movie "So Close" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300620/ (one of my favorites), that'll answer your questions about them. The gal that played the cop is equally fine and kicks major butt as well.
The movie is best IMO with the (original) Cantonese soundtrack/audio and Engrish subtitles. :asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, laugh at me if you will, but what I think is so spectacular about Michelle Yeoh is the warmth she projects. You remember that first scene in CT,HD when she's informed that the great hero Li Mu Bai is there, and her face lights up like the sun... it was hard for me to believe that she was acting then. And that gives the mask of circumspection she puts on when she meets him again and he tells her how something pulled him back from his meditative detachment at the Wudan monastery all the more—and she is pretty sure she knows what it was, even if he doesn't (or won't admit that he does)—so incredibly eloquent. Very few actors could have carried that off, I think. I watched Casablanca again, for maybe the 100th time in my life, a couple of months ago and found myself comparing Ingid Bergman's performance in that movie with MY's in CT,HD, and damned if I didn't find myself thinking that MY's was the better of the two. Because from the very first scene, you can see what Bergman's character is thinking and feeling so transparently that it's implausible that Rick doesn't see it too, and yet it's imperative for the narrative line that he not realize she's still in love with him. Whereas the way MY's character keeps that emotional intensity under wraps, so you just see flashes of it, but you can still tell it's there, is far more effective for the plot—and the emotional effect, when finally, as he's mortally poisoned, she pleads with him not to die—`give me a reason to hope!'—is correspondingly almost unbearable in its intensity and anguish.

I really don't know that the film is so much about the martial arts, whatever people say about it, as it is about the folly of emotional camoflage—just as I always thought that Saturday Night Fever wasn't really about disco, that that was just the vehicle, that the real point of the movie was the way in which charisma and power over others carries with it a burden of responsiblity for their fate that charismatic, powerful people do not want to accept.

All right, I'll stop raving now....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, laugh at me if you will, but what I think is so spectacular about Michelle Yeoh is the warmth she projects. You remember that first scene in CT,HD when she's informed that the great hero Li Mu Bai is there, and her face lights up like the sun... it was hard for me to believe that she was acting then. And that gives the mask of circumspection she puts on when she meets him again and he tells her how something pulled him back from his meditative detachment at the Wudan monastery all the more—and she is pretty sure she knows what it was, even if he doesn't (or won't admit that he does)—so incredibly eloquent. Very few actors could have carried that off, I think. I watched Casablanca again, for maybe the 100th time in my life, a couple of months ago and found myself comparing Ingid Bergman's performance in that movie with MY's in CT,HD, and damned if I didn't find myself thinking that MY's was the better of the two. Because from the very first scene, you can see what Bergman's character is thinking and feeling so transparently that it's implausible that Rick doesn't see it too, and yet it's imperative for the narrative line that he not realize she's still in love with him. Whereas the way MY's character keeps that emotional intensity under wraps, so you just see flashes of it, but you can still tell it's there, is far more effective for the plot—and the emotional effect, when finally, as he's mortally poisoned, she pleads with him not to die—`give me a reason to hope!'—is correspondingly almost unbearable in its intensity and anguish.

I really don't know that the film is so much about the martial arts, whatever people say about it, as it is about the folly of emotional camoflage—just as I always thought that Saturday Night Fever wasn't really about disco, that that was just the vehicle, that the real point of the movie was the way in which charisma and power over others carries with it a burden of responsiblity for their fate that charismatic, powerful people do not want to accept.

All right, I'll stop raving now....

Nice try :uhyeah:

But I do agree with you on this

Latest Discussions