Multiple Styles ?

L

legend29

I'm what most would call a OJKD man, I never even thought about other styles except for a couple trial classes for different arts just to see others views on fighting. I take JKD on a weekly basis by private instructions.

I only took trial classes of other arts when my JKD instructor had to cancel on me for different reasons. Well two weeks ago my instructor had to cancel again and I found myself at a local Muay Thai school. I just figured I'd try it out for a workout like all the others, but as I worked out with the class I started to love it. I'm now addicted to Muay Thai. I love the physical atributes, the pain of my workouts and the tactics that i didn't know existed. I also figured Muay Thai to be just a sport martial art, but after attending several classes now I realize that it is so much more. It is very effective for the street as well as the ring.

Now here is my delima, I can't afford to keep doing both JKD and Muay Thai, but I love them both. Even if I could afford to do both ( which I can't )there are both striking arts with different approaches to fighting. I'd be afraid by studying both I would halt my progress in both because of the differences in stances, vertical punch vs horizontal punch, kicking with the lead leg as opposed to rear leg, ect. Plus I'd probably make the mistake of doing JKD at the Muay Thai school, and vice versa.

Does anyone have any experiences with this type of situation ? If so any advice would be appreciated. Please feel free to share any stories that might help me to better pick between the two.

Richie

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since you can only afford to train with one, you will need to decide on which is important to you: 1) your experience, time in training, and the people involved with your old style JKD (some may call this loyalty), and 2) your new found love with Muay Thai.

Basically, if I were in your shoes and I find I enjoy Muay Thai more than JKD, then I would go with Muay Thai. Finding something you truly enjoy and fits with your concept of efficiency would be a large factor in making the decision.

Now, if you could afford to take both, then the issues of studying the styles and the pros/cons of training would be an issue.

- Ceicei

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
JKD was also meant to be an idea set or guiding philosophy that could be present in any martial artists training; JKD was more the philosophy than the moves, with "Jun Fan" (KF or modified KB-xing) being the technical expression of the immediate lineage of the philosopher. Reading Tao of JKD, BL clearly liked the idea himself of appreciating and imcorporating training from/with other martial arts. Training in Muay Thai with an opened mind about simplicity in application IS training in JKD. Follow your heart, and the rest will just make sense.

Luck!

D.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
legend29 said:
I'm what most would call a OJKD man, I never even thought about other styles except for a couple trial classes for different arts just to see others views on fighting. I take JKD on a weekly basis by private instructions.

I only took trial classes of other arts when my JKD instructor had to cancel on me for different reasons. Well two weeks ago my instructor had to cancel again and I found myself at a local Muay Thai school. I just figured I'd try it out for a workout like all the others, but as I worked out with the class I started to love it. I'm now addicted to Muay Thai. I love the physical atributes, the pain of my workouts and the tactics that i didn't know existed. I also figured Muay Thai to be just a sport martial art, but after attending several classes now I realize that it is so much more. It is very effective for the street as well as the ring.

Now here is my delima, I can't afford to keep doing both JKD and Muay Thai, but I love them both. Even if I could afford to do both ( which I can't )there are both striking arts with different approaches to fighting. I'd be afraid by studying both I would halt my progress in both because of the differences in stances, vertical punch vs horizontal punch, kicking with the lead leg as opposed to rear leg, ect. Plus I'd probably make the mistake of doing JKD at the Muay Thai school, and vice versa.

Does anyone have any experiences with this type of situation ? If so any advice would be appreciated. Please feel free to share any stories that might help me to better pick between the two.

Richie

IMO, you dont seem to be having much luck with the JKD, in which case, I'd change over to the MT. Then again, I'm a big fan of crosstraining, but I do believe that one should have a solid base in 1 art first, and then if they want, go ahead and look at something else. Both arts, IMO, are great! As I said, if you train in one art long enough, you should have a fairly easy time going from one to the other.

Good luck in your choice!!

Mike

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JKD is not a style. JKD is a process of refining and extracting the essentials of other styles or methods of fighting. SInce it is a process, there is no end product, but a continuously improving YOU, as expressed in your continously improving ability to excel in combat and in improving yourself.

I don't want to get into a pissing match with OJKD folks. To each his own or her own. "Your way is not my may. My truth is not your truth." What I have expressed is just my interpretation of JKD. I would like to think that I got it right. But I don't think the OJKD got it wrong. Rather, it is my view that the OJKD group didn't get the complete truth.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your thoughts are on Muay Thai then I think you should make the change. There is something about it you are drawn to and if you don't explore it then your JKD training will be interrupted by thoughts of wanting to do Muay Thai.

You mentioned you love it and are addicited to it. I think those feelings are crucial to excelling at whatever art you pursue. How can you go wrong when you love what you're doing?

JMO

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, I stand corrected about JKD. Thank you.
Good points for keeping both to enhance the study of martial arts.
- Ceicei

Latest Discussions