New guy needs advice ?

L

legend29

Hello, I posted in the JKD forum a simular question, but I feel I should have worded it different and see what you more experienced guys/girls think. I've been in OJKD since August, 03 so here is my questions.

1) I want to also study Muay Thai, or even JKDC, but with my beginner status, do you guys think it's too soon to be doing multiple arts ?

2) Would it be possible to learn multiple arts at the same time ( I can only train in OJKD once a week. I have the rest of the week to train, but no one to train with unless I join another school. )

Thanks for any help !

OP
S

Shinzu

hey there.
in my experiences it is always better to get a good foundation of one art before proceeding on to the next.

not to say this can't be done, but one step at a time is better.

if training time is not enough, see if you can hook up with another student to train on those odd days where there is not class. maybe at your house, or a private area. this will help you get more practice and keep your interest going.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get a good foundation in one art. Train solidly in it for a few years. Then, feel free to supplement with additional training later on.

I've seen a lot of people try to train in more than one art, and it hasn't worked well for most. They have the basics of several arts, yet master none. Having three yellow belts in different arts isn't going to help you much.

Also, the basics in the different arts can be very different. As a newbie, you don't want to get confused. Focus on one thing at a time. Learning one art is hard enough.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above posters as well. Having a good base art is important. There are so many different things out there, and by doing more than one, especially if you're new to the arts, might be a bad thing for you. Crosstraining, IMO, is an excellent thing to do. However, as i said, having a foundation is also very important.

Good Luck on your search.

Mike