Muay Thai Advice For Beginners

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've recently started training in muay thai, finishing my forth lesson tonight, and have been going twice a week to beginner classes that teach you the basics of the sport. Im not really looking to compete or even spar at the moment but wanted to take up muay thai to improve both my fitness and self confidence.

I've never been in a fight in my life, infact I dont think I've even taken a punch from anyone properly before starting these classes and I think that's another huge factor as to why I wanted to train in a sport like this. I want to test myself and see what I'm made of.

My brother and dad are both your typical manly blokes who are down for a scrap and confident in themselves whereas I've always been the chilled out let's talk it out kind of guy which is why I guess I've never been in a situation where I've needed to defend myself, but at the same time I'd like to know I could if ever i needed to.

(Sorry for all this personal stuff haha, just trying to paint the picture for you here)

Anyway, as I mentioned at the start I've really been enjoying the classes and come home everytime feeling super confident and buzzed, just wishing I could do more. I even feel proud about the bruising on my elbows and shins, wearing them like trophies after an hour doing pad work, knowing I've worked myself hard.

I've been going to these classes with my brother who is also a beginner to the sport, however tonight he couldnt make it. I was nervous to go on my own but I thought I've just got to do it, so I did, and got partnered up with someone who has been training in muay thai for about 2 years.

Straight away I noticed the difference training with someone who was experienced as the intensity of the training was multiplied which was great and pushed me more than usual. However, as we were training trips, which I've never done before, he took me out a little faster than expected which resulted in me catching some serious air time and landing flat on my back, taking the breath right outta me.

In all fairness my training partner was dead on, he sat me up and explained that I was winded and just told me to breathe. After a couple of horrendous minutes I got my breath back and continued to train for the next 30 minutes of the class but for some reason what happened tonight has just made me feel a bit weird.

I love the sport and cant wait to get back on Thursday, I know it's a rough game and I know I'm gonna get hurt from time to time, but I dunno, I just feel a bit disheartened. I cant put it into words how I'm feeling and what my issue is which I guess is why I'm writing this post.

I think really I'm just looking for any kind of advice to help me suck it up and move on and any other kind of advice that will help me on this journey. Also if anyone else has a similar story to me and how they mentally got past these hurdles would be great.

Thanks!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are gonna be fine. Keep at it. What happened is not unusual. Don’t let it get into your head and dampen your passion.

Welcome to the martial arts. We all find our own path within it somewhere.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wanted to mention: what happened to you is that you got a glimpse of the training at a higher level, that you are not yet ready for. That’s ok, nothing wrong with it. Keep at it, work hard, you will get there and you will go beyond it.
Enjoy the ride.

OP
Ryeangle

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to mention: what happened to you is that you got a glimpse of the training at a higher level, that you are not yet ready for. That’s ok, nothing wrong with it. Keep at it, work hard, you will get there and you will go beyond it.
Enjoy the ride.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. I feel better about it today, think I was just overthinking it a little bit yesterday. I'm just looking forward to getting back in the gym tomorrow and continuing my training!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been the chilled out let's talk it out kind of guy which is why I guess I've never been in a situation where I've needed to defend myself,

Very much the best way to be!

I dunno, I just feel a bit disheartened. I cant put it into words how I'm feeling and what my issue is which I guess is why I'm writing this post.

I think really I'm just looking for any kind of advice to help me suck it up and move on and any other kind of advice that will help me on this journey. Also if anyone else has a similar story to me and how they mentally got past these hurdles would be great.

Please don't feel bad, it really does happen to all of us! You are a beginner, your partner wasn't, however you will be at the same stage soon enough, as him if you stick at. Training with another beginner can make you feel that you are doing a little better than you are and when it comes to training with a more experienced person you realise that while you are learning there's a way to go yet. Don't let it take your confidence away, build on it. You've had a very good lesson from this so you are up in experience already! We always say try to train with the highest ranked person in class you can, they have the most control and experience and while you end up 'losing' in sparring etc you really do learn thoroughly and be so much better. By the way you are more liable to be hurt by beginners lol than anyone else.

What you know now is that you can be put on the deck, recover and carry on training, I bet you also now know how you ended up on the floor, so a valuable lesson, you also didn't have a tantrum ( I have had students who have the 'you can't do that to me kind :D) so you have a great attitude. All in all you had a good lesson, well done you! Keep it up and you will be that student with two years experience picking up the new student and you'll do it with understanding. Keep letting us now how you are getting on and welcome to MT :)

OP
Ryeangle

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
Very much the best way to be!

Please don't feel bad, it really does happen to all of us! You are a beginner, your partner wasn't, however you will be at the same stage soon enough, as him if you stick at. Training with another beginner can make you feel that you are doing a little better than you are and when it comes to training with a more experienced person you realise that while you are learning there's a way to go yet. Don't let it take your confidence away, build on it. You've had a very good lesson from this so you are up in experience already! We always say try to train with the highest ranked person in class you can, they have the most control and experience and while you end up 'losing' in sparring etc you really do learn thoroughly and be so much better. By the way you are more liable to be hurt by beginners lol than anyone else.

What you know now is that you can be put on the deck, recover and carry on training, I bet you also now know how you ended up on the floor, so a valuable lesson, you also didn't have a tantrum ( I have had students who have the 'you can't do that to me kind :D) so you have a great attitude. All in all you had a good lesson, well done you! Keep it up and you will be that student with two years experience picking up the new student and you'll do it with understanding. Keep letting us now how you are getting on and welcome to MT :)

Thanks so much for your response, it means alot. Just reading what you've said has made me feel tons better about the whole situation and even more inspired to get back into the gym.

What you've said is what I've been trying to tell myself to be honest, especially the part about recovering and getting back to the grind. For me that was the biggest part, I can get dropped and still get up and carry on with a positive attitude and willingness to learn and improve.

I think I just doubt myself alot sometimes, which probably stems from other things, but after having a few good lessons, when this happened, I felt like I was back to square one, which I know deep down isn't the case. If anything in reality I've learned more from this one lesson than my previous 3!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, means alot. And I'll be sure to keep you posted on how I'm getting on!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your response, it means alot. Just reading what you've said has made me feel tons better about the whole situation and even more inspired to get back into the gym.

What you've said is what I've been trying to tell myself to be honest, especially the part about recovering and getting back to the grind. For me that was the biggest part, I can get dropped and still get up and carry on with a positive attitude and willingness to learn and improve.

I think I just doubt myself alot sometimes, which probably stems from other things, but after having a few good lessons, when this happened, I felt like I was back to square one, which I know deep down isn't the case. If anything in reality I've learned more from this one lesson than my previous 3!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, means alot. And I'll be sure to keep you posted on how I'm getting on!

I've been doing martial arts for decades and can still end up flat on the floor lol, I went to do a kick, leaned slightly off and went down like a sack of spuds, I couldn't get up for a while though was laughing too much. I also do a lot of horse riding and still come off, we all do, you can't call your self a horse rider if you don't come off a few times, same with martial arts, get knocked down seven times, get up eight times! If you feel yourself going down to the floor see if you can move your head to look at where your belt would be, saves landing on your neck. If you can get someone to show you how to land Judo style ( I won't say breakfall properly, it's hard as an adult) it's very useful, not just for martial arts but walking on ice and mud lol.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've recently started training in muay thai, finishing my forth lesson tonight, and have been going twice a week to beginner classes that teach you the basics of the sport. Im not really looking to compete or even spar at the moment but wanted to take up muay thai to improve both my fitness and self confidence.

I've never been in a fight in my life, infact I dont think I've even taken a punch from anyone properly before starting these classes and I think that's another huge factor as to why I wanted to train in a sport like this. I want to test myself and see what I'm made of.

My brother and dad are both your typical manly blokes who are down for a scrap and confident in themselves whereas I've always been the chilled out let's talk it out kind of guy which is why I guess I've never been in a situation where I've needed to defend myself, but at the same time I'd like to know I could if ever i needed to.

(Sorry for all this personal stuff haha, just trying to paint the picture for you here)

Anyway, as I mentioned at the start I've really been enjoying the classes and come home everytime feeling super confident and buzzed, just wishing I could do more. I even feel proud about the bruising on my elbows and shins, wearing them like trophies after an hour doing pad work, knowing I've worked myself hard.

I've been going to these classes with my brother who is also a beginner to the sport, however tonight he couldnt make it. I was nervous to go on my own but I thought I've just got to do it, so I did, and got partnered up with someone who has been training in muay thai for about 2 years.

Straight away I noticed the difference training with someone who was experienced as the intensity of the training was multiplied which was great and pushed me more than usual. However, as we were training trips, which I've never done before, he took me out a little faster than expected which resulted in me catching some serious air time and landing flat on my back, taking the breath right outta me.

In all fairness my training partner was dead on, he sat me up and explained that I was winded and just told me to breathe. After a couple of horrendous minutes I got my breath back and continued to train for the next 30 minutes of the class but for some reason what happened tonight has just made me feel a bit weird.

I love the sport and cant wait to get back on Thursday, I know it's a rough game and I know I'm gonna get hurt from time to time, but I dunno, I just feel a bit disheartened. I cant put it into words how I'm feeling and what my issue is which I guess is why I'm writing this post.

Thanks!

First, welcome to Martial Talk. I hope you stick around.

I Love reading stories like yours. It is full of passion, newness, and that thirst for the unknown. Truly what the journey is all about.
It sounds like you have a great attitude and outlook so enjoy the ride and grab all you can from each class, no matter who you pair up with.

As far as stories, we have all had similar experiences. The reality is you should also have them again and again as many times as possible. It is how we grow and learn our craft. Good times.

OP
Ryeangle

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing martial arts for decades and can still end up flat on the floor lol, I went to do a kick, leaned slightly off and went down like a sack of spuds, I couldn't get up for a while though was laughing too much. I also do a lot of horse riding and still come off, we all do, you can't call your self a horse rider if you don't come off a few times, same with martial arts, get knocked down seven times, get up eight times! If you feel yourself going down to the floor see if you can move your head to look at where your belt would be, saves landing on your neck. If you can get someone to show you how to land Judo style ( I won't say breakfall properly, it's hard as an adult) it's very useful, not just for martial arts but walking on ice and mud lol.

It's good to know it's not just me then haha! The thing is if it happens again, I now know what to expect. Like I said in my first post I've never been in a physical fight in my life, so having someone drop me like that and getting winded at the same time was quite a shock to the system but now I know what it feels like, and look...I'm still alive right?

I'll definitely have to look into these Judo lands though. I felt myself flying all over the place after each trip haha!

OP
Ryeangle

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
First, welcome to Martial Talk. I hope you stick around.

I Love reading stories like yours. It is full of passion, newness, and that thirst for the unknown. Truly what the journey is all about.
It sounds like you have a great attitude and outlook so enjoy the ride and grab all you can from each class, no matter who you pair up with.

As far as stories, we have all had similar experiences. The reality is you should also have them again and again as many times as possible. It is how we grow and learn our craft. Good times.

Thanks man, appreciate the reply. It's crazy because I felt a little silly posting on here at first but it's hard to talk about stuff like this with friends and family who haven't ever experienced similar situations, but I'm so glad I did. You guys are like my own personal martial arts therapists haha, really appreciate it.

I think I just need to avoid overthinking and instead soak up everything, good and bad, and put it all back into my training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are like my own personal martial arts therapists haha, really appreciate it.

This is because most of us are as mad as a box of chocolate frogs! :D:D:D

Ok, so that's only me then! :p

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks man, really appreciate it. I feel better about it today, think I was just overthinking it a little bit yesterday. I'm just looking forward to getting back in the gym tomorrow and continuing my training!
It can be a bit of a shock the first time, and the first few times, that it happens. But you do need to experience that and be able to become comfortable with it and not fear it. So it should happen a lot, as you train. If your instructors and classmates are supportive of each other and create a positive environment, then you can really grow and develop some very close friendships in this process.

OP
Ryeangle

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
It can be a bit of a shock the first time, and the first few times, that it happens. But you do need to experience that and be able to become comfortable with it and not fear it. So it should happen a lot, as you train. If your instructors and classmates are supportive of each other and create a positive environment, then you can really grow and develop some very close friendships in this process.

Yeah I agree. If you'd told me yesterday that that was going to happen last night I'd have been well nervous, but if you told me its gonna happen again tonight, I'd be ready for it. Not gonna say I'd enjoy it haha, but I'd definitely be ready for it and 100% more aware during practice.

I'd like to think I'll make some friends there. That was another reason I wanted to join. I train at home alot doing light weights and try to run multiple times a week, but it's easy to plateau when training alone. Whereas I know training with people at my gym that are far more experienced will push me harder and like you said, hopefully lead to some friendships too.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You got all the advice you need, IMO, and I don't have much to add there. Just wanted to say welcome to the sport, and keep at it!

Also feel free to stick around this forum if you find yourself wanting to talk MA in your spare time.

OP
Ryeangle

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
You got all the advice you need, IMO, and I don't have much to add there. Just wanted to say welcome to the sport, and keep at it!

Also feel free to stick around this forum if you find yourself wanting to talk MA in your spare time.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. Everyones been really welcoming and helpful, I'll definitely stick around. Good to have a place where I can talk to people with experience in martial arts.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You got put on the floor and got winded....**** happens. Real training isn't like the karate kid where you do a few weeks then you're an expert.this won't be the last time you get discouraged especially if you start sparring. If you're not looking to compete don't even worry about how you compare to others. Just go in train do your thing get better then once the sessions done move on. Don't spend hours after breaking down every little scenario that happened you'll drive yourself mad and you'll get so anxious on performing well you'll lose the enjoyment. Just go in do your best and the results will come. Everyone's different maybe you'll get good really fast maybe it'll take you longer. There's no right or wrong way to do this stuff. If you want to never spar and just hit pads and do drills and bag work that's fine because that's what you are after. If you want to fight and spar all that that's fine to.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum mate :). Yeah the other guys have given great words of insight already. Training is a process, and if you have the perspective that even falling, getting hit, stuffing up is part of training itself, you can only grow :).

I totally get the feeling of being disheartened by it... I remember one training session years ago, it was a really tough one, and I reached that point where I almost passed out, vision was fuzzy, nausea, and I had to lay down. I remember feeling so upset that I couldn't continue. But later after reflection, the fact that I had the grit and perseverance to push myself to THAT level showed just an immense strength I had within me. There was literally no failure in any sense, but great fortitude that I saw I had. And after I rested a bit I jumped back in there and continued, and finished the session. I mean that's also amazing that I could even do that. Double whammy of what I learned about myself that day!

It's certainly not a step back in any way at all, but a step forward in your training, as you've reached an uncomfortable place, and knowing what that feels like and even embracing it is key. Learning how to posture yourself in those uncomfortable moments determines how much you grow. But being disheartened too is a part of training, learning and asking why you're feeling disheartened is revealing too.

Welcome again, hope you stick around mate I love your energy and enthusiasm :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
. If you can get someone to show you how to land Judo style ( I won't say breakfall properly, it's hard as an adult) it's very useful, not just for martial arts but walking on ice and mud lol.

Doing Judo will help out his Muai Thai in a lot of different ways. From maintaining good structure to timing sweeps to obviously good breakfall. It is probably worth dping all of it if he is going to supplement his training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing Judo will help out his Muai Thai in a lot of different ways. From maintaining good structure to timing sweeps to obviously good breakfall. It is probably worth dping all of it if he is going to supplement his training.

I didn't say anything about 'supplementing his training' at all, I just said learning to land is always good, which of course it is. I don't know anything about his situation financially or his lifestyle or whether he wants to do anything else so I am not going to give advice about doing any other training. All I was doing was saying it's worth learning how to land, nothing more so please don't go reading into a very small piece of advice something more than is there and making an issue out of it, there is no issue and this is not the thread for your verbal sparring.

Latest Discussions