MT member thwarts knife attack!

James Patrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should post this information, but I noticed that our friend and colleague had posted this over in Self-Defense Forums. I liked his post so much that I copied and pasted it here.

Basically, MT member Paul Janulis ("Tulisan") thwarted a knife assault last week friday. On top of running his company, he does other side jobs, one of them being an on call for a delivery company. It was while working with the delivery company that this happened.

Anyways, it was nice to see methods that we researched and trained successful under the test. It is also good that Paul is alive and unscathed. We should applaud Paul for being able to put his training into action, and for chosing to not be a victim.

Thanks Paul....we are all lucky to have you!

Sincerely,

James Patrick

Today, 11:06 AM
Ian Kinder
user_online.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_150469", true);
Adapt, innovate and overcome

Staff Member Assaulted
Hey guys, I thought you might find this interesting…

One of our staff members, Paul Janulis, was assaulted by two young men on Friday, 4-14-06 in Pontiac Michigan. He was driving a truck for a company that delivers food to private homes. While standing along side his truck he noticed a sudden movement out of the corner of his eye. When he turned to face the movement he was confronted by a young man who was apparently reaching to grab him and hold an object to his throat, an object which he later learned was a box cutter. He slammed the hand with the object into his truck using the method made popular by Krav Maga, which is simply to (a) grab the weapon or weapon hand with one hand and push it away from your body and then (b) hit or employ a weapon with your other hand. The attacker made a sound when his hand hit the truck and dropped the object. Paul attempted to hit him but was not able to connect with a solid blow because the attacker was already in the process of pulling away. At this point the second assailant moved towards Paul aggressively, so Paul turned to face him and draw his gun, which was concealed on his waist just behind his strong side hip. Once he achieved a holster ready (hand on gun ready to draw) both aggressors ran away, which ended the encounter.

We are all very glad that Paul was not hurt and that he prevailed against this assault. This event is representative of so many real encounters in that it does not fall in to neat “this vs. that” categories, that things happen fast and change without warning and that the level of awareness of the combatants is severally affected by the speed of the engagement and the perception of the threat. This last issue is important because the level of awareness and presence of mind that is often expected from defenders is unrealistic. It also reinforces many of the other principles we stress to students, that:

1.) Fights rarely go perfect, even when things ultimately go well
2.) Even if you are armed, you may not be able to deploy your weapon (so don’t be depended on it)
3.) To be truly prepared, you must be able to escalate the level of force further and faster than the aggressor(s) (so arm yourself if appropriate)
4.) When possible, use your environment to our advantage

It also reinforces the value of the Krav method listed above, which is far simpler than most popular alternatives.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way to go Paul!! It's great when the training just takes over. Glad it did for you.

Jeff

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear Paul's all right.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you were alert Paul, and that no one got hurt.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nicely done, Paul. :asian:

I'm really glad to hear you came through an exceptionally dangerous situation safe and unscathed. Your training has paid off, this time.

James, thank you for sharing this. :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I have had situations happened to me before (mostly when I was younger), but I usually don't put that out there for a number of different reasons. However, friends have convinced me that this particular story offers valuable lifesaving information for others. So, for that, I am glad that Ian and James put it out there. I hope that the story helps people out somewhere along the line.

Thanks again,

Paul

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good job Paul! Glad you are safe!

I think your story really depicts the surprise nature of a real attack and how it is over rather quickly. Typically there is no squaring off and no challenges, it just happens and happens fast.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah Paul calls me and asks "Guess what happened to me?"

Rich: "You were attacked or attempted to be robbed"

Paul: YEP!

Rich: Are you ok?

Paul: Oh yeah I am ok.

Rich: Are they ok and did you hurt them and is this your only phone call?

I had to ask just in case he needed to be bailed out. ;)

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know Paul, I just gotta ask...

Were they visually impaired? Did they not see the size of you? I mean really? YOU ARE HUGE MAN! That pic in your profile shows you aren't exactly scrawny. That should be a deterrant in itself! :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Rich: Are they ok and did you hurt themand is this your only phone call?

I had to ask just in case he needed to be bailed out.
:rofl: