MT member "KID" Tests for his Green Belt In Tangsoodo

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tonight, the MT member Kid tested for his green belt in Tangsoodo. I'm going to post some highlights from the test later. Needless to say, he passed...and did well.

The purpose of this thread is for learning, not for flaming. Keep the comments positive.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a quick vid of Kid grappling JDwindsurfer. Notice the move that Kid puts on his partner. Pretty slick...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Tonight, the MT member Kid tested for his green belt in Tangsoodo. I'm going to post some highlights from the test later. Needless to say, he passed...and did well.

The purpose of this thread is for learning, not for flaming. Keep the comments positive.

Great job, Kid! Congratulations. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!!!!:partyon: :partyon:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a clip of jdwindsurfer and Kid Sparring...

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I was really nervous all day for this test. Infact my whole day was filled with finals for school, and this test topped it all off. i was really proud of the move that I had pulled on jdwindsurfer, infact as I set myself into it I was smiling. Ohh but let me tell you, I learned an important lesson. Just cause I was in superior position the match was not won, jdwindsurfer fought me every inch and he is an excelent ground worker. Sparring was really fun also, I was seeing more opening than I ever had before, and I was sneaking strikes in there. It was like a video game and I had just gone up a level and I got to raise all of my stats.

kid

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Here is a quick vid of Kid grappling JDwindsurfer. Notice the move that Kid puts on his partner. Pretty slick...

Here is a little advice...now that I've had sometime to think about it. You got good position right away and I think that it was good that you were aggressive, but once you got there, you started to spaz (this isn't on the video). Spazzing is common for beginners to do because of the urge to win and because you haven't learned to relax yet.

I would suggest that once you get good position like that, work some techniques and force yourself to settle down. Your partner is getting a real good lesson in how to get out of a bad position and you are getting a good lesson in applying the techniques on a resisting opponent.

Never forget that every sparring session is a two way street. If your partner gets out of your rear guard and now you have to scramble and get position again, great. There is absolutely no shame in tapping and you can win (as in learn) in this situation by losing.

Just go with the flow and save the "all out balls to the wall stuff" for the street. ;)

Novitiate

White Belt
Reaction score
Grats On your Belt!
You earned it and punched through.
You have a lot of natural ability and I think Kyosa pushed your limits to teach you of your own power.
Fire on Fire makes a Bonfire or a forest fire. (etymologicaly bone fire)
within this distinction is wisdom
for one must remember
the forest is only so big

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics from early in the test. Kid is showing some basic kicks.

Attachments

• $Chambered Front Kick2.JPG
    $Chambered Front Kick2.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 152
  • $Inside Outside Kick.JPG
    $Inside Outside Kick.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 151
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is where Kid recieves his belt from his teacher. The ceremony involves his teacher removing the belt, tying it in a knot, explaining the symbology of the new rank, and tying the new belt around his waist.

Attachments

• $You can never go back.JPG
    $You can never go back.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 163
  • $The Importance of a Green Belt2.JPG
    $The Importance of a Green Belt2.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 150
  • $You earned it.JPG
    $You earned it.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 157
  • $winter to spring.JPG
    $winter to spring.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 149
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are a couple more videos from Kid's test...

Attachments

• $Required Ill Soo Shik 4.AVI
    315.6 KB · Views: 107
  • $Required Ill soo shik 5.AVI
    254 KB · Views: 99

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
This is where Kid recieves his belt from his teacher. The ceremony involves his teacher removing the belt, tying it in a knot, explaining the symbology of the new rank, and tying the new belt around his waist.

Oh that is AWESOME!!

Congratulations, Kid!! Great work!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
getting a belt promotion is always a great thing. Congratulations to you are in order.

Latest Discussions