movies categorized by MA style?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Billy Jack had Bong Soo Han as martial arts coordinator. Bong Soo Han is a Hapkidoist, but what I remember from the movie was that most of the moves looked more like TKD stuff. I guess it was harder to tell with his boots off.

The three American Ninja movies were of course supposed to use Ninja moves. I think it was a mix, but I don't know anything about Ninjitsu, so maybe everything in the movie was Ninjutsu. I did enjoy many of the moves shown.

OP
M

MyrddinEmrys

White Belt
Reaction score
I think we can make this thread twenty pages long. I'm game if anyone else is. :)

Fine by me.

Kingdom of Heaven, 2005, has a few things I've seen in medieval sword fighting manuals, such as the sword over the head stance and in one of the battles you see someone holding the sword with finger over the guard near the blade. I don't know about the rest of it, but I don't remember it being too bad. My understanding is that longswords most likely weren't used in that time period, but the film makers were aware of this and chose longswords because they look cooler.

A lot of older movies set in the middle ages or with pirates have fencing of a more modern variety, but I don't know how the fight scenes compare to actual rapier fencing (since that's usually what they're using as far as weapons are concerned).

A Knight's Tale, 2001, has lots of jousting in it. Again, I don't have much knowledge on how it compares to actual medieval jousts.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Perfect Weapon - Kenpo
Passenger 57 - Shotokan Karate
Pray for Death - Ninjitsu
An Eye for an Eye - Whatever it is Chuck Norris does.
The Protector - Whatever it is Jacki Chan does.

Just to name a few.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just seen on FB ( the all knowing lol) that it's Kali that used in Deadpool.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then there's the movie The Presidio. I guess this would be Thumb-Fu. Damn good Thumb-Fu, too!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am so disappointed that no one has yet mentioned Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I was amazed at how even the most outlandish flitting through the trees was made to seem so normal. Obviously some type of Kung Fu, but I wouldn't have a clue what. When I saw it the first time in a theater, it was in Chinese and sub-titled in English. That allowed me to pay more attention to the incredible music of Yo Yo Ma. That was an experience.

Also, nobody has mentioned House of Flying Daggers. Not in the class with CTHD, but still I found it delightful, and some of the scenes were extremely well choreographed.

Latest Discussions