Movie Star Martial Artist, what Style and Rank are they?

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Hi guys,
I need your help in this matter.

I always get asked about curtain Martial Artist/Movie stars.
Mostly they want to know what style and rank.
Here is what I have gathered so far.

If there is anyone out there that knows different please let me know.

Chuck Norris –
6th Degree Black Belt in Tang So Doo
8th Degree Black Belt Grand Master recognition in the Tae Kwon Do system
Founder of Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way").
Also practiced Judo, Shito-Ryu Karate, and Brazilian Jujutsu

Jean-Claude Van Damme –
1st Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate

Jeff Speakman –
6th degree black belt in American Kenpo Karate
7th degree black belt in Goju-ryu Karate

Steven Seagal –
7th Dan in Aikido

Wesley Snipes –
5th Degree Black Belt in Capoeira

Dolph Lungren –
2nd Degree Black Belt in Karate (I don’t know what kind of Karate)

Jet Li –
Shaolin Wushu
Tai Chi

Jackie Chan –
ChinaDramaAcademy

Bruce Lee –
Wing Chun
Jeet Kune Do

I am sorry to do this But it is Dolph Lundgren.
And he is 3rd dan in kyokushin kai.
http://www.dolphlundgren.com/

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Hi guys,
I need your help in this matter.

I always get asked about curtain Martial Artist/Movie stars.
Mostly they want to know what style and rank.
Here is what I have gathered so far.

If there is anyone out there that knows different please let me know.

Chuck Norris –
6th Degree Black Belt in Tang So Doo
8th Degree Black Belt Grand Master recognition in the Tae Kwon Do system
Founder of Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way").
Also practiced Judo, Shito-Ryu Karate, and Brazilian Jujutsu

Jean-Claude Van Damme –
1st Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate

Jeff Speakman –
6th degree black belt in American Kenpo Karate
7th degree black belt in Goju-ryu Karate

Steven Seagal –
7th Dan in Aikido

Wesley Snipes –
5th Degree Black Belt in Capoeira

Dolph Lungren –
2nd Degree Black Belt in Karate (I don’t know what kind of Karate)

Jet Li –
Shaolin Wushu
Tai Chi

Jackie Chan –
ChinaDramaAcademy

Bruce Lee –
Wing Chun
Jeet Kune Do

Dound this site with images on Dolph.
http://www.gmrmedia.com/dolph/gallery/karate.html

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
The martial art that Matt Damon uses in the movie the The Bourne Supremacy according to the dvd extras is Kali. It would be interesting to see if he practices any MA in real life.
I believe you are right about his training in Kali Sir, I was told he did private lessons at the Inosanto Academy after hours before and during the filming of Bourne Identity. I am not sure if he kept up with anything other than working with a coreographer for The Bourne Supremacy. What I saw from the first movie, it was stuff straight out of the Inosanto curriculum. RESPECTS to you. PEACE

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An Update:

I believe Chuck Norris is now a 9th Dan in his own art of Chun Kuk Do.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
An Update:

I believe Chuck Norris is now a 9th Dan in his own art of Chun Kuk Do.

I don't know what he ranks himself in Chun Kuk Do, but on the cover of last month's Black Belt magazine, he has a black belt on that says "10th Degree" (July 2006 issue).
According to several websites, he has a 10th degree in Tang Soo Do and an 8th degree in taekwondo.

AoG

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
chuck norris learned jkd from bruce lee in some garage sessions i heard from a bio

with respect
painstain

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
painstain said:
chuck norris learned jkd from bruce lee in some garage sessions i heard from a bio

with respect
painstain

Sort of. He and Lee worked out a few times and traded ideas on techniques and training.

Still, the thread is about ranking and styles. Norris was never given any rank in jkd and jkd is not his style.

One that note, Lee only certified a very small handful of people to teach jkd. On the other hand, Bruce Lee certified many people to teach Jun Fan Gung Fu.

AoG

MetalStorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not sure what she has but im pretty sure Hilary Swank has marttial art training and did not see her mentioned here.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I know they're not all movie stars, but a list of celebrities who grapple:

Ed O'Neill- I know for sure is minimum a purple in BJJ, but I do believe I heard he got his brown. One thread on here claimed he got is black, but he trains under Rorion Gracie, and as far as I know Rorion has yet to promote anyone to black out side of his own family.

Maynard (lead singer from tool)- Is a purple belt in BJJ.

Joe Rogan- Is minimum a purple in BJJ, though he may have recieved his brown.

Chuck Norris- I believe he obtained a BJJ black belt from the Machados.

Richard Norton- I believe also is a Machados Black belt.

Gene LaBell- Judo Gene is, well, Judo. Don't know his dan ranking though.

This last one I heard somewhere but I don't know if true:

Salma Hayek- I heard was a blue in BJJ.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not a movie star, but drummer Carl Palmer (of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer) studied karate for 14 years and taught for three more before giving it up. He said it led to needing hand operations or something. He held Shodan rank and a teaching certificate from Tokyo University. (I heard years ago he was a black belt, and found this info onhis website today).

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
William Shatner- Supreme Grand Master of Kirk-Fu. Seriously though, he did study karate for a long time, though I don't know what it was.

Well, after more than two years, I have an answer. In the April 1974 issue of "Fighting Stars: Celebrities in the art of Self Defense" magazine that I just recieved in the mail today, it features William Shatner on the cover and in an indepth interview. He was, at the time of the article, an Orange Belt in EPAK under screenwriter and EPAK black belt Terry Bleecker. I don't think he ever got to black belt himself. Other MA background on Shatner from the article:

"The actor is a veteran boxer who, when time permitted, spent many long, arduous hours in the gym working with punching bags and sparring."

The article goes on to say, "Aside from the boxing and stunt techniques, I'd only had a few lesons in judo many years before."

The article says Shatner had been studying karate for two years at the time of the interview, and that his slow progress was due to his busy schedule.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, after more than two years, I have an answer. In the April 1974 issue of "Fighting Stars: Celebrities in the art of Self Defense" magazine that I just recieved in the mail today, it features William Shatner on the cover and in an indepth interview. He was, at the time of the article, an Orange Belt in EPAK under screenwriter and EPAK black belt Terry Bleecker. I don't think he ever got to black belt himself. Other MA background on Shatner from the article:

"The actor is a veteran boxer who, when time permitted, spent many long, arduous hours in the gym working with punching bags and sparring."

The article goes on to say, "Aside from the boxing and stunt techniques, I'd only had a few lesons in judo many years before."

The article says Shatner had been studying karate for two years at the time of the interview, and that his slow progress was due to his busy schedule.
Tom Bleecker.

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite TV shows has espionage, martial arts fight seens, and a kick-*** 'hot chick' pulling it all together. The show ALIAS starring Jennifer Garner should not be overlooked :). I'm not sure what MA training Jennifer Garner had but I think it's obvious that she has had some. Some of her kicks (in slow motion) actually look really good.

Anyone know who helped her and whether or not she still trains even though her show was cancelled?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of times I think things like this are from dance training that looks good on film but might not be an effective technique.

Latest Discussions