Vacation?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, this week I'm on vacation. So far I've gotten up early, fixed Erica's lunch (for a change), gotten my son on the school bus, helped a friend pull his truck out of a logging road back to his house, cut some brush, cut some timber, sectioned it out, loaded it into my truck and hauled it home, and done some mod work here... and I've only been up for 7 hours. I still need to unload, split and stack the wood, get my son off the bus and go train tonight. I'll be cutting timber all week long to help a buddy with an access road across a mountain top. I'll need to go back to work to get some rest.;)

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup, you always need a vacation from your vacation. Can you say Workaholic?

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, you always need a vacation from your vacation. Can you say Workaholic?

Not just yet... I'm still too winded from working. ;)

I never remember my father taking more than a couple of true vacations when I was growing up. There was always something that needed doing and as a child I got dragged into the grunt work of living. We grew a huge garden and heated with wood much of the time. It's just the way I was raised I suppose. I'll take a couple of hours to rest and shower and then start on stuff here inside the house. I'll also sharpen my chainsaw and axe and machete while resting so I'm ready for tomorrow. I'm always happiest when I'm doing something productive.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, that sense of achieving something is always worthwhile. However don't get so wrapped up in the 'doing' of your life that you forget to live it.

I know you don't need to be told this but it's always good to be reminded that the soul sometimes needs to just kick back and soak up the beauty of the world.

I have a favourite rock outcrop at the top of a hill at the head of a wooded valley where I go when I need to refresh my psyche. I shall be going there tomorrow (day off work (thanks to my kindly boss)) whilst my missus is with her mother.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, that sense of achieving something is always worthwhile. However don't get so wrapped up in the 'doing' of your life that you forget to live it.

I know you don't need to be told this but it's always good to be reminded that the soul sometimes needs to just kick back and soak up the beauty of the world.

I have a favourite rock outcrop at the top of a hill at the head of a wooded valley where I go when I need to refresh my psyche. I shall be going there tomorrow (day off work (thanks to my kindly boss)) whilst my missus is with her mother.
Even when I'm working I remember to take in the beauty of my surroundings. That's why so much of what I do is outdoors. The road we're cutting gives a beautiful view of the entire valley. It is truly breath taking to look out over everything while taking a water break.

DAMN!!!

I just want a vacation.

I have not had one in 2 years.
I went ten years "selling back" my vacations. I'd just work through them and get the extra paycheck. I made the mistake a couple of years ago of actually taking one and realized that the time off work to get things done and spend with my family was worth more than the extra check.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

It is always good to have a vacation even if
you are doing some work during it. (I envy
you right now)
icon14.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Even when I'm working I remember to take in the beauty of my surroundings. That's why so much of what I do is outdoors. The road we're cutting gives a beautiful view of the entire valley. It is truly breath taking to look out over everything while taking a water break.

I went ten years "selling back" my vacations. I'd just work through them and get the extra paycheck. I made the mistake a couple of years ago of actually taking one and realized that the time off work to get things done and spend with my family was worth more than the extra check.

I did much the same, I went about 12 years without one until 2 years ago and now I KNOW what I've been missing

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally for me vacations are a must have. I cannot live without them. Particularly if I have the opportunity to go somewhere tropical! Then I can let the wild tropical side of me run wild!
icon10.gif

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff, it could be argued that your working vacation is the road to longevity. As long as you have it in your bones to move them, do so vigorously.

You sound like my husband. Even when we're camping and relaxing, he's thinking about something that's got to be done at home and we're usually home for no longer than five minutes when he's at it again.

Me? I just want to go out in the boat on the lake right to the middle or into a cove, tie up/anchor down ... and float.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it's done nothing but rain the last two days so no wood cutting. No one home during the day except me and the dog and cat. Yesterday I cleaned closets, installed two new electrical outlets and spent more time than usual here. Not sure what I'll do today but I'm sure there's something in the work shop I can tinker with. It's days like these that scare the hell out of me about retirement. I've still got a loooong time before that but I've always been the "stir crazy" kind and don't see that changing.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm on vacation this week as well. All I have done is drink. It's like a real vacation only I'm still home.

:)

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried the staycation in the past and worked more than I do at work. So for me it is the beach...turning cell phone on once in the evening to check for emergencies...and not taking the computer. It is a great way to get away from it all.

Latest Discussions