Motivation time :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Average career lengths in pro sports are quite short. Key word being "average." You'll get a bunch of people playing for many years, and many more playing a year then getting cut, permanently injured, etc. who'll bring the average way down...

Report: Average length of NFL careers decreasing

I'd assume the NFL would be the shortest due to the high injury rate (NFL has a 100% injury rate, though I don't know how that statistic is measured).

Boxing, MMA and golf aren't reliable in length of career in years because the athletes don't stick to a regular schedule like team sports do.

And Mike Tyson's career length is skewed as he spent several years in jail during that stretch and had a few other periods of inactivity.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong; on the contrary I agree with you. The average player who actually plays day in and day out and has a career worth mentioning has a career far longer than the statistical averages.

Also factor in the time they spent at lower levels.

bear in mind we are also using this to determine the career of a martial artist.

So pretty hard to compare anyway.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no not plenty, a few freaks maybe. It's a fact that there is a massive drop of in physical performance in your early 30s, for a few that might not happen till there mid 30s, but it happens to them all.

Which is nice. But not even close to the whole story.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so what is the story,

That the more skill plays in a role the longer the lifespan of the athlete at a top level of competition.

That there are sporting champions who are not at the top level of competitions. Who compete far past their prime.

And martial artists are rarely top level athletes.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your quoting an average career length for sports men, but you have absolutely no idea what that average is. All you've managed to say in two long posts, is sports men who don't retire early have a longer career than those who do. Well duh.

. Nb there are more sports in the world than the NFL, quite why you are obsessing about them I'm not sure. Very few people outside of America care tupence about the nfl

Wow. You really need to learn to read and more importantly be able to actually put some thought into what's written. Not just here, but practically every post you've made on the forum.

Do you think the NFL is so isolated from the rest of the sports world? Do you think that no other sport has many players that have extremely short careers and never really play, while the majority of the players we think of play for a long time? Did you miss the part where I said "...and most other sports?"

But the most obvious part of my rambling was statistics are skewed and misleading. I cited the NFL's averages through a link and discussed why the averages in that sport nor any other sport aren't reliable.

Read posts or don't. I don't care. But what you're doing is pretty stupid - skipping lines, not interpreting anything beyond a kindergarten level, and telling people they don't know what they're talking about and you do.

Not sure if you recognize a pattern with your posts and how everyone reacts the same way towards you. You're right and everyone else is wrong. Educate us all.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That the more skill plays in a role the longer the lifespan of the athlete at a top level of competition.

That there are sporting champions who are not at the top level of competitions. Who compete far past their prime.

And martial artists are rarely top level athletes.
all true, but fighting is a very physical sport, sure they can carry on practising, but past say 34 your physical atributes are in declined and your,skill can only compensate so much

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. You really need to learn to read and more importantly be able to actually put some thought into what's written. Not just here, but practically every post you've made on the forum.

Do you think the NFL is so isolated from the rest of the sports world? Do you think that no other sport has many players that have extremely short careers and never really play, while the majority of the players we think of play for a long time? Did you miss the part where I said "...and most other sports?"

But the most obvious part of my rambling was statistics are skewed and misleading. I cited the NFL's averages through a link and discussed why the averages in that sport nor any other sport aren't reliable.

Read posts or don't. I don't care. But what you're doing is pretty stupid - skipping lines, not interpreting anything beyond a kindergarten level, and telling people they don't know what they're talking about and you do.

Not sure if you recognize a pattern with your posts and how everyone reacts the same way towards you. You're right and everyone else is wrong. Educate us all.
and my point is your quoting stastics you have never,seen and so have absolutely no idea what the,average career length is.
if this is an incorrect assumption on my part please quote the stastics you keep referring to

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
all true, but fighting is a very physical sport, sure they can carry on practising, but past say 34 your physical atributes are in declined and your,skill can only compensate so much

There is a whole division of sports for over 40s.

You can compete untill you are 70ish.

Australian Masters Games

A bit of Judo for fun.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and that's why they have over 40s as they can't compete with the under 30s

You can represent your country in masters division. Does your under 30 instructor compete at an international level?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can represent your country in masters division. Does your under 30 instructor compete at an international level?
you can represent you country playing tennis in a wheel chair, it doesn't mean you won't get trashed by someone with two good legs

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and my point is your quoting stastics you have never,seen and so have absolutely no idea what the,average career length is.
if this is an incorrect assumption on my part please quote the stastics you keep referring to

What sport are you talking about? Pro MA? Which MA? MMA? Boxing? ????

And again genius, the stats won't be highly reliable, for the reasons I cited above. If pro MMA's average is 3 fights, it means very little. 1000 people may have fought once or twice, while 20 people fought 20 or so fights.

I'm done. Pretty sure you'll take that as you've proven me wrong. If that helps you sleep at night, feel free.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What sport are you talking about? Pro MA? Which MA? MMA? Boxing? ????

And again genius, the stats won't be highly reliable, for the reasons I cited above. If pro MMA's average is 3 fights, it means very little. 1000 people may have fought once or twice, while 20 people fought 20 or so fights.

I'm done. Pretty sure you'll take that as you've proven me wrong. If that helps you sleep at night, feel free.

all sports,( except golf) that's what we were taking about, before you rushed in and started quoting stats you had just completely made up on the spot

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you can represent you country playing tennis in a wheel chair, it doesn't mean you won't get trashed by someone with two good legs

Yeah but the wheelchair marathon guys clean house.
Three-time Paralympic Gold Medallist Kurt Fearnley finishes third in Boston Marathon

By the way Kurt funley started competing at an elite level at 17 and is still competing at 36. So another one of those guys that have a 20 year sporting career.

Not sure how your comparison fits there.

Does your instructor represent your country. What level of competition does he fight at?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but the wheelchair marathon guys clean house.

Not sure how your comparison fits there.

Does your instructor represent your country. What level of competition does he fight at?
no he is the wrong nationality to represent my country and to far away to represent his country

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no he is the wrong nationality to represent my country and to far away to represent his country

Which sport does the nationality matter. Specifically which sport can't he represent his country in.

And what level does he compete at?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
all sports,( except golf) that's what we were taking about, before you rushed in and started quoting stats you had just completely made up on the spot

You're right. I made up the website I linked to regarding NFL career length.

Or was that your habit of reading one out of every 5 lines and saying someone doesn't know what they're talking about again.

Sorry I didn't look up every sport and posts stats. Nothing's stopping you from doing it, except intelligence.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bear in mind we are also using this to determine the career of a martial artist.

So pretty hard to compare anyway.

Bear in mind we're also dealing with a guy who's...

Never mind. We're not supposed to insult people here. Even if it is 100% accurate.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're right. I made up the website I linked to regarding NFL career length.

Or was that your habit of reading one out of every 5 lines and saying someone doesn't know what they're talking about again.

Sorry I didn't look up every sport and posts stats. Nothing's stopping you from doing it, except intelligence.
your back obsessing' about the nfl, no one was discussing the average length of a career in the NFL, why do you think the information was in anyway illuminating

the topic under discussion was at what age are you to old to complete, go on explain how your stats in anyway relate to that topic