Mother Complains About Happy Meal Toy

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was on msnbc the other day and read about an autistic kid that was left in a hot car and died. How the **** do you forget about someone in a car????

Usually those cases occur when the parent was under the influence, went inside their home and passed out or fell asleep. How the heck can people drink/do drugs when driving their kids around is the question I want to ask them.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I consider myself a pretty good parent, but I don't watch Lily every waking moment. She's too fast... like a baby ninja. There's a period of time between ages 2 and 5 when kids are mobile, curious, have no real sense of danger and are very creative. You just can't anticipate every which way that they can injure themselves.

QFT- I could have written that myself a few years back when my kids were littler. IMO, we all to quickly forget how quickly they get into trouble at that age. My experiences with my boys as toddlers taught me a great deal, but especially to go easier on judging other parents.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve, if this Mom can't handle a fairly harmless toy from McD's what the hell is she going to do when the Child goes to School in the real world?????Say one of Carol's schools where the teachers don't give a rats *** about weather her child ever learns to read for comprehension or not? Whos going to take her seriously now??? What would this mom do on a farm where there are real dangers like 50Gal. barrels of Round-Up and moving grain augers???
Some battles need to be fought, but this particular one????

Lori
Honestly, looking at that toy, I would probably let my two year old play with it. No small parts... nothing she could choke on. I'd bet if most of you were being honest, you would too. As I said, it's usually only in hindsight that things like this are so clear.

The only reason Lily wouldn't get a toy like that is that I'm distrustful of any toys that come out of China that she could put in her mouth. But as far as structurally, the toy looks okay to me.

All I'm saying is that it seems to me that this is a lot of armchair QB'ing, that there's a lot of mixing in irrelevance (like Mom's weight), that most of us (if we're being honest) wouldn't have thought a 4 year old would attempt to choke himself with the toy in question, and finally, that if it were your own child, you'd be pissed off, too and might act irrationally as a result. And suggesting that the the world would be better off if this kid would remove himself from the gene pool is despicable. Any references to Darwin or natural selection where a toddler is involved are completely uncalled for and in very poor taste, as far as I'm concerned.

Intellectually, I don't think the mom's got a leg to stand on here, but emotionally I completely understand where she's coming from and can't blame her one bit.

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find it more disturbing that she claims her child passed out from lack of oxygen and she didn't take him to a doctor. Of course, it's possible I'm a helicopter mom myself ;) but if my child had passed out, I would be making a phone call at least to my pediatrician to make sure things were okay.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, looking at that toy, I would probably let my two year old play with it. No small parts... nothing she could choke on. I'd bet if most of you were being honest, you would too. As I said, it's usually only in hindsight that things like this are so clear.

The only reason Lily wouldn't get a toy like that is that I'm distrustful of any toys that come out of China that she could put in her mouth. But as far as structurally, the toy looks okay to me.

All I'm saying is that it seems to me that this is a lot of armchair QB'ing, that there's a lot of mixing in irrelevance (like Mom's weight), that most of us (if we're being honest) wouldn't have thought a 4 year old would attempt to choke himself with the toy in question, and finally, that if it were your own child, you'd be pissed off, too and might act irrationally as a result. And suggesting that the the world would be better off if this kid would remove himself from the gene pool is despicable. Any references to Darwin or natural selection where a toddler is involved are completely uncalled for and in very poor taste, as far as I'm concerned.

Intellectually, I don't think the mom's got a leg to stand on here, but emotionally I completely understand where she's coming from and can't blame her one bit.

I think this is true of Adults or kids. I now look at labels to See where things are made and Avoid " made in China" like the plauge.

2nd part is understood and I stand corrected, as I should be. It was in poor taste and rather unessessary. I will consider my responses more carefully from here on in. Thank you for pointing that out Steve. :asian:

lori

Latest Discussions