What is the Most Difficult Belt Rank?

• WHITE

• Middle GUP Ranks

• Upper GUP Ranks

• BLACK

Results are only viewable after voting.
M

MartialArtist

Testing for black. VERY STRICT. Not so lenient where anyone can pass by doing forms sloppily, showing some kicks, and doing some breaking and a little bit of sparring. It took me about ten years to get my black belt, which was still very fast traditionally. Maybe they were getting sick of me and just wanted to see me happy, who knows?

V

voxtemporalis

For me, my hardest belt was the white belt. I tend to be very, very shy, and for me to go to class and interact with people that I didn’t know, in a new environment, and doing things that would potentially make me look stupid was sheer terror. To compound that, our classes are separated by belt color, and when I started I was the only white belt so I had private lessons; I couldn’t fade into the background. During that first testing, I was a mass of nerves…and sweat.

Thankfully, I’m much better now. I go, I kick, and I ki-hap my head off! :p

M

MartialArtist

Black is one of the easiest belts to get in a McDojang. Traditionally, I'd have to say ee-dan but times are changing, and it's still pretty easy to get. In a McDojo, I'd have to say that white belt is the hardest belt because you don't really know what to expect.

R

Ruan Long

At my first start in taekwondo, I thought that I'd never go up to be a higher rank because they that most students drop out as soon as they start. My fear was the greatest pain I experienced when I was a white belt. It came to me that sooner or later I will feel pain so that was fear. But soon after when I unexpectedly got my first injury, it wasn't so bad at all, much better than fear. Persistance and the ability to admit your mistakes is a giant step to wisdom for a white belt.

R

RCastillo

1st Black for me in TKD, because it was a very comprehensive test, about 2 days worth!:asian:

F

FlashingDaggers

I knew you would say that lonekimono :) I agree because it's where you learn the foundations.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can relate. One of my current students was brown belt in ITF-style several years ago. I made him start again as a yellow belt because his technique was nowhere near it should have been, aside from the fact that he to relearn how to execute techniques. Now he is a green belt and very good. His side kick is 100% better.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Good lord girl:confused: , You are going to start running out of arts and dojo's if you keep up this pace.;)

Hehehehe I did it again LOL. I'm "homeless." NY Dojangs suck (well I haven't found a good place to train yet). I want my TSD dojang!!!!! :( I can't move back to NJ, though. The Judo club was cool. Maybe I'll go back there :rolleyes:

Anyways, to say on topic hehehehe ..... black belt will be the hardest for me. Mainly the mental part of it. If I ever get that far :idunno:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought black belt was the hardest, but it was a jump from the high red to a 3 hr. test. It wasn't hard mentally. Sure you can will yourself to keep going - but if the legs at the end of sparring get so tired you can't lift them, let alone control - you know you're out of energy. Then...you get to do the breaks. But that, in retrospect, was easy compared to the 2nd Dan test. And that is as it should be. I have found nothing is easy in Taekwondo - its alot of work, practice, joy and pain and well worth it.

T

TimBreuning

I'd say the degrees just before first black.

Maybe that's why so many students stop at that point.

/Tim.-)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blue belt is where most dtugents dro for the cirriculum changes and instructor really start to pick up the intensity.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say red belt for these reasons:

1. Red belt is the time when you start to seriously think about black belt. As a result, you must begin to develop black belt technique. It is not enough to be able to do the technique, you must be able to do it well. In order for you to test for black belt, you must show you have black belt-level technique.

2. You're instructor does not consider you a beginner, and does not treat you as one. You are treated as an advanced student. He is less forgiving of your mistakes. Previously, if your stances, basics, kicks, and form needed work, it was acceptable because you were a junior student and didn't know any better. Now they must improved.

3. Senior students (black belts) are less merciful. Before, they'd go easy on you because you were a low ranking belt and didn't know to make defense or get back. As a red belt getting ready for black, you tend to be targeted by Dan students who want to see what you are made of and whether you deserve to wear the same belt they do. Free fighting gets more painful around this time. I've seen red belts get bloodied and knocked around.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
At our Dojo White and Black are the hardest...and its got more to do with the heart and mental fortitude of the MA'ist than the actual critiera.

But in my limited experience, the hardest rank is the one you are going for at the time!

T

Teh Tot

I would have to say white belt because you are just starting out, and dont have any idea of what you're doing. You've never gone through a test before and you might not have all the balance and coordination needed to gracefully execute all the tecniques, and you are thinking that you look kind of funny. As you go up through the ranks, you feel less awkward and develop the strength to perform the harder breaks and the balance to look gracefull while doing them. true it is a bit intimidating when you're in front of a panel of high level black belts. but you know your stuff and can do it.

The test is only as hard as your mind makes it.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Definitely blue belt so far. That test was an hour an a half of blood, sweat and tears (mostly sweat and tears!). All others were easy in comparison, but I haven't yet tested for 1st Dan...

K

Knifehand

Yeti said:
Definitely blue belt so far. That test was an hour an a half of blood, sweat and tears (mostly sweat and tears!). All others were easy in comparison, but I haven't yet tested for 1st Dan...
None of the tests have been hard for me. I just practiced and practiced, worked out, trained and sweated a lot.

Everything i've done has not been hard, but rewarding.

Current Belt: Yellow, just passed my Orange Belt test

Digger70chall

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ah i had to vote for white belt since it's the only one i've tested past. I know sometimes i would get frustrated doing a hundred snap kicks over and over again, then practicing front stance for half an hour, all while seeing the higer belts doing their flashy jump side kicks and spinning back kicks. It took a month or so for me to realize i was actually getting better at the basics and that it would just improve my technique down the road. Now at yellow belt i'm glad i practised so many hours of roundhouse kick :)

A

ArtlessArt

I'm getting fairly close to my blackbelt, and things have definately taken a turn for the tougher. I'm expected to not only know, but demonstrate, techniques that are rather tough. The forms have definately taken a step up as well, they're much more intricate and a lot of new stances. Not to mention, the blackbelts DO stop taking it so easy on me in sparring. So for me I'd say this pre-blackbelt phase is much tougher than the beginning and middle stages thus far. When I'm closer to the blackbelt I'd imagine I'll have a different point of view. :)

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
At our Dojo White and Black are the hardest...and its got more to do with the heart and mental fortitude of the MA'ist than the actual critiera.

But in my limited experience, the hardest rank is the one you are going for at the time!
I totally agree, obviously having little expereince myself and being a green belt, the last three belts I have tested for have all been hard.

Latest Discussions