Most comfortable firearm/holster for conceal carry.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was taught the first rule of gun safety is to never point it anything you don't want to shoot. This is why I just can't bring myself to appendix carry..
I get that point but the reality is the barrel isn't pointing at anything in the appendix position. Most men's Ummm "twig and berries" are centerline on the body. The barrel at least for me the barrel rides in the area of the crease where the hip joint is so it's not really pointing at anything. If you think about where your appendix is it's off to your right side. That's where my grip on my pistol sits a good 3 to 4 inches away from the centerline and not pointing at my twig or berries. As im sitting here typing if for some reason my weapon fired the round wouldn't even touch my skin Id have a hole in my jeans and some powder burn on me but that's about it. Same as the 3 or 5 o'clock position if it were to fire it would just put a hole in my pants and burn my butt a little lol.

Drawing and Holstering are the most likely time for a negligent discharge and at least how I draw from the appendix as Im getting a nice high firm grip Im rolling my wrist towards my body as I draw. That pushes the barrel away from my body so again if it were to go off id have a hole in my pants but nothing else. However, looking at how I would draw from the 3-5 the mechanics of the draw for me naturally rolls my wrist away from my body which pushes the barrel into my body (which I never realized before until now and is something I need to fix)

Again I don't really care how anyone carries as long as they do. I wish more people would.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I never answered the 1st part of the question my current go-to carry pistol is the sig p365.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that point but the reality is the barrel isn't pointing at anything in the appendix position. Most men's Ummm "twig and berries" are centerline on the body. The barrel at least for me the barrel rides in the area of the crease where the hip joint is so it's not really pointing at anything. If you think about where your appendix is it's off to your right side. That's where my grip on my pistol sits a good 3 to 4 inches away from the centerline and not pointing at my twig or berries. As im sitting here typing if for some reason my weapon fired the round wouldn't even touch my skin Id have a hole in my jeans and some powder burn on me but that's about it. Same as the 3 or 5 o'clock position if it were to fire it would just put a hole in my pants and burn my butt a little lol.

Drawing and Holstering are the most likely time for a negligent discharge and at least how I draw from the appendix as Im getting a nice high firm grip Im rolling my wrist towards my body as I draw. That pushes the barrel away from my body so again if it were to go off id have a hole in my pants but nothing else. However, looking at how I would draw from the 3-5 the mechanics of the draw for me naturally rolls my wrist away from my body which pushes the barrel into my body (which I never realized before until now and is something I need to fix)

Again I don't really care how anyone carries as long as they do. I wish more people would.
Could you share a photo?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you share a photo?
LOL I was actually thinking about it when I typed that to make it easier to explain but was hesitant due to the massive amount of crotch shots it would be. But yeah let me take a few pics.

OP
Instructor

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I was actually thinking about it when I typed that to make it easier to explain but was hesitant due to the massive amount of crotch shots it would be. But yeah let me take a few pics.
Shouldn't be an issue so long as you keep your pants on. LOL.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shouldn't be an issue so long as you keep your pants on. LOL.
So it's actually harder than I thought to take pictures of yourself at that angle I'll need to get my tripod out of my office to take a good pic. But here is my carry set up. Pretend the TV Remote is your area of concern. The orange highlighter is the bullet path if it were to fire.

20210924_142032.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it's actually harder than I thought to take pictures of yourself at that angle I'll need to get my tripod out of my office to take a good pic. But here is my carry set up. Pretend the TV Remote is your area of concern. The orange highlighter is the bullet path if it were to fire.

View attachment 27340

Yep...no thank you.....move that inside the pants and there is a good chance my junk is getting hit.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uh....awkward but your picture suggests otherwise.
How many times have you shot yourself in the past? How many times has a gun gone off in your holster? If you are that worried about shooting yourself perhaps you shouldnt carry at all. I personally dont plan on shooting myself anywhere no matter where I carry. Nor have I ever seen anyone shoot themselves while carrying as long as they are using a quality holster and practice even minimum safe handling procedures. I have seen ummmm wanna be gangsters shoot themselves pleanty most didnt have a holster at all or used cheap neoprene holsters and they had little to no formal training. And among them zero shot off their genitals

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that point but the reality is the barrel isn't pointing at anything in the appendix position. Most men's Ummm "twig and berries" are centerline on the body. The barrel at least for me the barrel rides in the area of the crease where the hip joint is so it's not really pointing at anything.
Well, nothing other than your femur. Your pelvis. Your femoral artery...
At 3-5, it's pointed at the fat pad on your butt.
While rare, I've seen people with ND's in both. The ones carrying 3-5 go home. The ones appendix carrying go to the OR. The difference in risk is small, but real. It can be mitigated but not eliminated by training. If that higher risk is acceptable to you, then go for it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, nothing other than your femur. Your pelvis. Your femoral artery...
At 3-5, it's pointed at the fat pad on your butt.
While rare, I've seen people with ND's in both. The ones carrying 3-5 go home. The ones appendix carrying go to the OR. The difference in risk is small, but real. It can be mitigated but not eliminated by training. If that higher risk is acceptable to you, then go for it.
It's acceptable by me and countless others who have far greater training and experience then I do. So I guess we are back to agree to disagree. But I would say you should actually get a quality appendix holster and give it a try you would see the barrel placement isn't going to hit anything important other then atmost skim the inner thigh.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's acceptable by me and countless others who have far greater training and experience then I do. So I guess we are back to agree to disagree. But I would say you should actually get a quality appendix holster and give it a try you would see the barrel placement isn't going to hit anything important other then atmost skim the inner thigh.
I don't think I do. As I said, I've already seen multiple examples of ND wounds in pretty much any carry method you care to use. I don't really need to shoot myself to know what injuries are likely to occur.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think I do. As I said, I've already seen multiple examples of ND wounds in pretty much any carry method you care to use. I don't really need to shoot myself to know what injuries are likely to occur.
If you are that worried about shooting yourself you probably shouldnt carry at all.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are that worried about shooting yourself you probably shouldnt carry at all.
You really seem like you're reading a lot of stuff that I never actually wrote. Why is that, do you think?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really seem like you're reading a lot of stuff that I never actually wrote. Why is that, do you think?
Every post you make is about shooting yourself or damage from guns going off on thier own for no reason. Seems to be an unhealthy fear of being shot by your own gun. Kinda odd to me. You also seem really concerned about how I carry which is touching and all but im good.

Latest Discussions