- Mar 27, 2012
- Reaction score
- Hendersonville, NC
Sure, an OP can state an opinion. It’s a good way to start a discussion over the topic, especially if you’re looking for alternative views and thoughts that country your own position.Here is an interested question. Should the person who starts a thread be able to express his own opinion or not?
If the answer is
- yes, it makes no sense for someone who starts a thread so he can argue with everybody.
- no, it also makes no sense for someone who starts a thread that he doesn't participate into discussion.
Many times, we have discussion like:
A: Should we ...?
B: You have asked the question. But you have not expressed your own opinion. What's your own opinion on ...?
A: My opinion is ...
B: You are wrong ...
When you start a thread, if you
- respond to people's posts. you may get into argument.
- don't respond to people's posts, people will say that you are self-center, and you ignore others' opinions.
The funny thing is if you continue discussion, even someone who:
- agrees with you may end with disagree with you.
- disagrees with you, you may end with a high blood pressure and heart attack.
IMO, any continue discussion can be a bad idea. Always let others to have the final words will be a good idea.
Of course, that only works if it’s actually a discussion. If it’s an argument, there’s usually nothing to gain.