More People Should Follow Bruce Lee's Instructions

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interested question. Should the person who starts a thread be able to express his own opinion or not?

If the answer is

- yes, it makes no sense for someone who starts a thread so he can argue with everybody.
- no, it also makes no sense for someone who starts a thread that he doesn't participate into discussion.

Many times, we have discussion like:

A: Should we ...?
B: You have asked the question. But you have not expressed your own opinion. What's your own opinion on ...?
A: My opinion is ...
B: You are wrong ...
A: %$#@&
B: @#$%^

When you start a thread, if you

- respond to people's posts. you may get into argument.
- don't respond to people's posts, people will say that you are self-center, and you ignore others' opinions.

The funny thing is if you continue discussion, even someone who:

- agrees with you may end with disagree with you.
- disagrees with you, you may end with a high blood pressure and heart attack.

IMO, any continue discussion can be a bad idea. Always let others to have the final words will be a good idea.
Sure, an OP can state an opinion. It’s a good way to start a discussion over the topic, especially if you’re looking for alternative views and thoughts that country your own position.

Of course, that only works if it’s actually a discussion. If it’s an argument, there’s usually nothing to gain.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bubishi to my knowledge does not allege a single author, so no one incorrectly attributes quotes, unlike the mess that is the TAO.
The Tao is a bit of a mess, though one issue is folks blaming Lee for that mess. I have lots of quotes and learned thoughts in my notebooks, whether, MA, business, personal growth, or whatever. Since they were thoughts I collected for my own perusal, I didn’t bother with attribution for most of them. But that’s not problematic unless someone distills those notebooks and publishes the result.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Secrets? Who told you I have secrets? Was it Steve? That's ridiculous. I bet he's the one with the secrets.

Pay no attention to those folders on my desk with labels like "death touch", "true enlightenment", and "invulnerability." That's just personal stuff. Boring personal stuff. Nothing secret about it.
Only secret I have is between me and my witness relocation handler. Wait... I mean...

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well you are an excellent example of a poster who has brushed me off when I wanted answers. In post #478 in my "Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive" thread you said it was not your place to educate me, when all I wanted was answers. That goes against the philosophy of "He who knows not and knows that he knows not, he is simple, teach him." And not to single you out, there are other posters on this forum and on other Internet forums that have done the same thing and there are in fact many people in the world who do the same thing.

Well I asked, so I can own it. I will re read it and see if I can give some context.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Secrets? Who told you I have secrets? Was it Steve? That's ridiculous. I bet he's the one with the secrets.

Pay no attention to those folders on my desk with labels like "death touch", "true enlightenment", and "invulnerability." That's just personal stuff. Boring personal stuff. Nothing secret about it.
You will never get to be a real boy…

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well he isn’t alone in that category, E.P. Sr. stole the vast majority of the contents of one of his early books from James Wing Woo.
On the other hand, you have a book like Kodokan Judo, which was compiled by a committee( as it states in the book), where the early edition don't state an author, yet later edition credit the book to Jigoro Kano, who died 17 years before the first edition was printed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well he isn’t alone in that category, E.P. Sr. stole the vast majority of the contents of one of his early books from James Wing Woo.
If I'm remembering right, didn't the two of them live/train together and write that book together? It's just only one of them was listed as the author on the book itself.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I'm remembering right, didn't the two of them live/train together and write that book together? It's just only one of them was listed as the author on the book itself.
Actually it’s a longer story. But in the end more than 80%of the book is Woo. Parker stole it, gave no credit, signed the publishing deal without telling Woo, kept the proceeds and never acknowledged the facts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, you have a book like Kodokan Judo, which was compiled by a committee( as it states in the book), where the early edition don't state an author, yet later edition credit the book to Jigoro Kano, who died 17 years before the first edition was printed.
That's how good he was.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
When Parker was looking for Chinese gung fu influence to add to his martial art his friend brought him up to S.F. To the Hop Sing Tong where Lau Bun taught. James Wing Woo lived with T.Y. Wong at that time who also taught members at that time. Woo was introduced to Parker there by the mutual friend who brought Parker to S.F. from L.A. Woo was convinced to come to L.A. and help teach at the school Parker had there. The book idea came not long after. After the split, a number of the students (many of whom are notables of the 1960s) decided to go with Woo and they opened a school that used to be a morticians building, followed by his Students constructing a Kwoon (where I met and trained with Woo) for Woo on his property in Hollywood. Sifu James Ibrao, Sifu Leo Whang, Sifu Rich Montgomery, and quite a few others that were there tell the story consistently this way. Interestingly, a certain sect of kempo refer to Sifu Woo as Grandmaster, which he publicly scoffed at, the rest of kempoists have never even heard of him even though he is the original source for some of their material. He spoke about it during training once, and again during his interview with Jess for Nei Jia Quan. Simo Eve did not spare words or emotion when it came up in her presence. That’s probably more than you wanted to know…

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You gave no indication of that though. You asked a question, then immediately challenged the other posters statements. Based on the quote, there's also nothing indicating the fool is not open to being shown they are wrong-it's just a lot of effort on the teacher to prove it. I believe I've spent 2 pages saying that exact point.
Well my challenges were just educated guesses on my part. If Im wrong then Im wrong.
Your actions also show that you are unwilling to be corrected, just fyi. You ask questions, but will argue with anything that disagrees with you constantly, continuing to ask questions but not accepting any answers (and often misinterpreting them, even as they tell you you're misinterpreting it). That's likely why people have stopped answering you specifically.
Well maybe Im learning too, as Johnny Lawrence said in the second season of Cobra Kai.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does the OP want to share his opinion online with some "random forum strangers" (a new term I have just learned)?

Your thought?
Could be specifically to see if there are other views. Or because they hope to educate others. Or because they like to talk. Or because…

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why does the OP want to share his opinion online with some "random forum strangers" (a new term I have just learned)?

Your thought?
Why not? People do stuff like that on the internet all the time. That's part of what posting on forums is all about.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee made plenty of notes and copied plenty of quotes - his library was extensive and contained books on all kinds of different topics and interests of his. At the end of the day, he was just a man like all the other martial arts celebrities we know of. There are plenty of myths and misquotes attributed to the old masters too. Many martial artists I have met worship their martial heroes and try to emulate them - then again lots of people are inspired by the music of Mr. Elvis Presley.

And then you have those tribute acts where individuals dress, act and sing like Elvis :cool:

In the martial arts world, we have plenty of tribute artists too. I have seen people acting and talking like Bruce Lee, Aikido guys growing beards and getting into weird Japanese religions to be more like Morehei Ueshiba.

One of my early Karate Sensei's removed all the chairs from his home and cut the legs off his table to try and make his home more like a Japanese persons. In the early days a lot of people in martial arts mixed up the myths with the reality 🤣

Last edited: