Monkey or Mantis...?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so my Sifu is offering a special 3 month training special for either Monkey style kung fu or Mantis style (both of which part of the Kung Fu system as passed down by Grandmaster Sin Kwang The), with the idea of mastery of the system in mind, and I'm honestly not sure which path to choose. I personally would have liked to go with Mantis because it's close range grappling and breaking techniques appeal to me, yet my sifu says that Monkey is better because it's more physically demanding.

Now I'm caught between two extremes; my own martial ideas and philosophies, and the advice from my Sifu, a man I've trusted greatly for quite some time now. So any advice from my fellow martial artists would be greatly appreciated.

-Nyro

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know nothing about the mantis or monkey forms of Shaolin-Do Kung Fu.

However having once spared a Southern mantis guy I can say it is a rather impressive style that is VERY good a fighting.

Having seen Northern Mantis I will say it looks equally as impressive.

Also I use to train with a monkey stylist and the flexibility that he had was absolutely amazing, the most flexible martial artist I have ever seen actually. And although we never really had a full out spar I was quite impressed with the ways in which he could hit (hand strike and kick). He would look entirely off balance or far from being in a position to strike and let me tell you he would surprise the living daylights out of me with this stuff. Also he was fast, at least as fast as the Southern Mantis guy I spared once, possibly faster. But not ever really having a full all out sparing session with him I can not be sure.

I have no idea if that helps but that is my take on Mantis and Monkey styles.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you extremely athletic and acrobatic? If not go with Mantis. Monkey has a lot of acrobatic techniques and may not be suited to everyone.

I'm kinda fond of Mantis because of its unusual, low stances (not that I actually like getting down that low if I can avoid it) and the fact that it was the style taught to Imperial guards during the Ching Dynasty.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What exactly is taught in the 3 month course? you cannot learn the complete system, maybe you will learn a form or two, but have you had any basics yet in either of these systems? To learn a complete system, it usually takes years. Once learned, each system can demand years of dedication to really master.

If it is just one form, and not the complete system, then perhaps you can learn its gross movements in 3 months. But if it is just one form, taken out of context of the complete system, you are probably selling yourself short because you need the foundation that the basics provide, plus the complete system, thru the forms. This is what makes your kung fu good, learning something as completely as possible. Picking and choosing, and taking things out of context can often provide limited results. Just food for thought...

Other than that, some good comments have been made by the other posters.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it is just one form, and not the complete system, then perhaps you can learn its gross movements in 3 months. But if it is just one form, taken out of context of the complete system, you are probably selling yourself short because you need the foundation that the basics provide, plus the complete system, thru the forms. This is what makes your kung fu good, learning something as completely as possible. Picking and choosing, and taking things out of context can often provide limited results. Just food for thought...

This is a good point. Both styles< as far as I know, are quite complex and are complete styles in and of themselves.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is a good point. Both styles, as far as I know, are complex and complete in their own right.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the duplication guys. Just had some sort of glich on my end for a moment there and thought the post had not gone through.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so my Sifu is offering a special 3 month training special for either Monkey style kung fu or Mantis style (both of which part of the Kung Fu system as passed down by Grandmaster Sin Kwang The), with the idea of mastery of the system in mind, and I'm honestly not sure which path to choose. I personally would have liked to go with Mantis because it's close range grappling and breaking techniques appeal to me, yet my sifu says that Monkey is better because it's more physically demanding.

Well.... here's the deal. Considering your school's background, I'd save my time & money. Reason being, they're neither a monkey or mantis school, don't train solely & completely in monkey or mantis techniques, theories, conditioning, etc... Before you say it, I know your school & I know your system firsthand.

Not saying they can't tech you how to fight & defend yourself, but putting your hand in a mantis claw doesn't make it mantis nor does hopping about saying "See how this looks like a monkey?" make it so.

3 months in most CMA schools will barely scratch the surface of the basics involved to get you going on the right path to understand what's ahead of you. I'd say if you want to play monkey or mantis, then go find a monkey or mantis school. Otherwise

Now I'm caught between two extremes; my own martial ideas and philosophies, and the advice from my Sifu, a man I've trusted greatly for quite some time now. So any advice from my fellow martial artists would be greatly appreciated.

-Nyro

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What exactly is taught in the 3 month course? you cannot learn the complete system, maybe you will learn a form or two, but have you had any basics yet in either of these systems? To learn a complete system, it usually takes years. Once learned, each system can demand years of dedication to really master.

Other than that, some good comments have been made by the other posters.

This is very good advice above.

I would also ask why your teacher prefers monkey over mantis. I studied Chow Gar and thought it was quite an impressive system.

One more thing, there are many different styles of praying mantis and even more hybrids, which one is he teaching?

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well.... here's the deal. Considering your school's background, I'd save my time & money. Reason being, they're neither a monkey or mantis school, don't train solely & completely in monkey or mantis techniques, theories, conditioning, etc...
I'd have to agree here. If the special course is offered as a bonus and is at no additional cost to you, then go for it. However, if you are required to pay for it, clfsean is right...you won't even scratch the surface before it's gone. Without training in monkey/mantis moving forward, you'll quickly lose any gains you made during the "promotion". What do you really have to gain?

Latest Discussions