Mo-zilla Blues

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First major hiccup with Mozilla, and it was a potential doozy.

My wife opened up her profile this morning to find her set home page was now mozilla.org instead of our ISP's site. I took a peek and found her bookmarks deleted. He e-mail files also appeared to be gone. Further research showed her bookmark file was killed, but her e-mail files were still there, but inaccessible. Basically, Mozilla's profile manager still had her profile set up, but had severerly b0rked the files within the profile folder.

To make a long story short, I was able to restore her e-mail files with a lot of creative (and frantic) copy-n-pasting and got most of her bookmarks back from an old backup.

Here's what I think the cause was: something locked up the computer while she had the Mozilla profile manager up. In frustration, she did a hard reboot. Since her profile was highlighted and she didn't shutdown correctly...*poof*.

I think I'm gonna break out my old Apple ][e. Less problems with that thing.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They switched us to Mozilla at work. Importing old folders/preferences/etc. didn't work so well. :(

E

Elfan

I also had issues importing settings (ie bookmarks woudn't import so I spent a day checking and doing it manually, then I check later and they imported fine, double grr) but I have been generally happy with it since then. A few stabiility issues but I'm not sure thats mozill'a fault, MS' or my own.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Mozilla 1.4. After some annoying problems, I've got it running and it's been workin' like a champ. Got the 3rd party spellchecker installed and luckily had no problems with profile migration. However, I did have a backup of my profile folders on hand just in case :)

When upgrading from 1.3.x to any 1.4 release, not only do you have to uninstall the previous version of Mozilla, you need to delete the Mozilla folder, which will still be on your hard drive. You may lose some plugins, but some themes and other helper applications cause 1.4 to puke. After installing 1.4, it's a simple matter to reinstall your desired plugins.

But just in case, make a backup copy of your profile folders.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions