Brave Girl/Woman Escapes Kidnappers After 8 Years

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was on the yahoo site and I read about this brave young (now) woman who was kidnapped as a 10 yr. old child and after 8 years escaped her captor when he was distracted by a cell phone call. Story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060906/ap_on_re_eu/austria_missing_girl
By WILLIAM J. KOLE, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 6, 3:06 PM ET

VIENNA, Austria - The young Austrian woman imprisoned for 8 1/2 years in an underground cell "thought only of escape" during her entire ordeal, and once tried to jump out of her captor's car, she told a magazine and a newspaper in interviews published Wednesday.

Natascha Kampusch, who bolted to freedom on Aug. 23 while her captor busied himself with a cell phone call, told the Austrian weekly magazine News she repeatedly asked herself: "Why, of all the many millions of people, did this have to happen to me?"

The interviews hit the newsstands a few hours before a TV interview with Kampusch, now 18.

"I thought only of escape," she told the magazine two weeks after she won her freedom by taking advantage of a phone call that distracted Wolfgang Priklopil. She ran to neighbors, who called police.

Priklopil, 44, killed himself within hours of her escape by jumping in front of a commuter train.

In a separate interview with the mass-circulation daily Kronen Zeitung, Kampusch said she once tried to jump out of Priklopil's car, "but he held me back and then sped away." She did not say when that failed attempt occurred.

"I always had the thought: Surely I didn't come into the world so I could be locked up and my life completely ruined," Kampusch was quoted as saying. "I always felt like a poor chicken in a hen house. You saw on TV how small my cell was — it was a place to despair."

News printed a large color photograph of a pensive-looking Kampusch on its cover, showing her with piercing blue eyes and a pink kerchief covering part of her strawberry blond hair.

The magazine said it interviewed Kampusch at Vienna's General Hospital, where a cardiologist examined her for possible heart trouble. She said she had suffered throughout her captivity from heart palpitations that at times made her dizzy and rendered her memory of some events "fuzzy."

Kampusch also said she often did not get enough to eat. Another Austrian magazine, Profil, had reported that at the time of her escape she weighed just 92 pounds — exactly her weight when she was abducted off a street while walking to school as a freckle-faced 10-year-old.

Kampusch called her escape "completely spontaneous."

"I was there behind the gate to the garden and I felt dizzy. I realized for the first time how weak I really was," she said.

But Kampusch added that she felt well enough — "physically, mentally and no heart problems" — to attempt another escape.

Once out on the street, "I saw a window open and someone busy in a kitchen, and I asked the woman to call the police," she said.

Fact that the guy killed himself may not be justice enough since he isn't around to explain exactly why he held on to this girl for so long. But at least there's one less scumbag in the world.

The courage and strength of this girl is without question one of the greatest I've read/heard about in years. That she held on and sought escape continually speaks of her mind-set not to give in. Undoubtedly she'll need therapy to help get over painful memories. But as the article states she has managed the transition to freedom smoothly. This is probably because she fought for it for so long.
One part I found sad was how she "tried in vain to catch people's eyes while her kidnapper boldly took her shopping..." and how no-one would look at her or recognize her. That didn't deter her to keep trying to escape until that great day where she managed to accomplish her goal.
I wish her well in her future. Hope that the media will leave her well enough alone after the furor and the hype has died down.

Photos: Natascha Kampusch at 10 yrs. old and now 18 (magazine cover) and the kidnapper Wolfgang Priklopil

Attachments

• $kidnappee 01.jpg
    $kidnappee 01.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 225
  • $kidnappee 02.jpg
    $kidnappee 02.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 252
  • $kidnapper.jpg
    $kidnapper.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 243

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fact that the guy killed himself may not be justice enough since he isn't around to explain exactly why he held on to this girl for so long.

I think that maybe the press is showing a bit of self restraint. And I applaud them for it if they are. I can imagine a reason why this guy would hold her for so long. But if it is true, she would be very shamed by the knowledge getting out even though it was not her fault.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for her. I am happy that she got away. I just cannot believe that someone could be so cruel and uncaring and do this to another human. (even though I know this is a reality) Fortunately he has removed himself from the gene pool. (even though his punishment was surely not severe enough
icon8.gif
) I just hope she can pick up the pieces of her life and reunite with family and enjoy her freedom!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Disgusting coward threw himself in front of a train. He has stolen half of this girl's youth, and traumatized her constantly through her formative years. May she have the strength to reintegrate into society gracefully.

When I first heard this story, I cannot describe the rage that welled up inside of me, yearning to physically punish that beast. His cowardice digusts me completely.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's wonderful that she finally got away... I do feel sorry for the person driving the train, even though Priklopil deserved death - although a good long time in prison first to think about what he did would have been better. Still, society no longer has to pay for his incarceration or trial.

I just hope that Ms. Kampusch can get over her experience sooner, rather than later... but what a horrid way to grow up. My thoughts are with her, and my respect for her actions in never giving up. :asian:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh gee, I am glad she is away from the captor. Once in Haiti we uncovered a sweat shop where a bunch of kids 4-8 were working. The Marines did a good thing that day, we shut that mother ****er down.
icon10.gif

I love when mean and stupid people disagree. It made my day, I just cannot tolerate people like this man and other's I had run into oversees.

This jerk killing himself was him taking the easy way out. I feel so sorry for this girl.

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
me to. Adn the poor woman probably was sexually/physically abused the entire time and doesn't want the public to know. This story makes me feel sick

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saw it on the news the other day. It is just another example of where our society has went to and why we need to protect our own.