MMA vs TaiChi

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good training won?

Look up the Art jimmerson. (probably misspelled that) story.

Anyway it was one of the early UFC guys who got flogged.

Came back 20 years later and won a MMA fight.
Really.. I thought he only fought once and that's when he had the one boxing glove on.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you're all overlooking something. The MMA guy was wearing pink shoes. Nobody ever lost a fight while wearing pink shoes. Bet he even clicked his heals together three times, too.

But on a serious note. Anybody here ever gotten their *** kicked? Doesn't necessarily mean anything about either guy's Art.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
NYtimes story about the fight:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/world/asia/mma-martial-arts-china-tai-chi.html

So much for nobody caring about this story eh?
Of course the media will report it since it's a cool sounding headline but do you really think anyone who reads it will genuinely care...any non martial artist probably even bother looking at it and any martial artist will simply quickly read it give the video a quick watch then move on with their life.

This seems to be the happiest day of your life seeing that I mean you posted an article about it in a thread you started about the same thing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah yes the comment sections of news websites. Totally full of honest insite right? Just like a YouTube comment section those things are filled with keyboard warriors who spend their time watching to much ufc in their basements while wearing tap out t shirts. Basically a bunch of trolls.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've actually got a number of friends who are big into the tai chi world and other martial arts and I thought I'd see if they'd heard of all of this and they didn't have a clue and when I explained they just shrugged and basically said "hey **** happens who cares that's life"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah yes the comment sections of news websites. Totally full of honest insite right? Just like a YouTube comment section those things are filled with keyboard warriors who spend their time watching to much ufc in their basements while wearing tap out t shirts. Basically a bunch of trolls.
People often participate in things that they like or care about. That is all that is needed. It doesn't matter if it's honest insite or not. It only matters that people care enough to comment and offer opinions, assumptions, and observations. Do you know why we don't go to a forum to talk about ant fungus? it's because we don't care about it. The fact that this discussion is on it's 6th page shows that there are some people who care about it enough to comment.

I guess the the other Tai Chi teachers and well known traditional martial artist who have comment and given their opinions are also trolls. Keyboard warriors or not someone spent time to type their comments on the matter.

I've actually got a number of friends who are big into the tai chi world and other martial arts and I thought I'd see if they'd heard of all of this and they didn't have a clue and when I explained they just shrugged and basically said "hey **** happens who cares that's life"
That's because they have no interest of defending the Tai Chi guy. He's not representative of what they do. I have no interest in defending the Tai Chi guy either but I used what happened to him as a lesson to my students and about their training so they don't go out and think that they can fight when they don't even take the sparring classes.

I want them to be safe when it comes to self-defense and not to make assumptions about their training thinking that they can do more than what they train for.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used what happened to him as a lesson to my students and about their training ...
Agree! If you have trained MA all your life. In one fight, your opponent just knock/take you down within 10 seconds. What can be worse than this?

That clip can teach us many things:

You should develop

1. ability to run your opponent down.
2. skill to deal with your opponent's run down skill.
3. effective knock/take down skill.
4. footwork and move in circle and not just standing still as a sitting duck.
5. ...

If that Taiji guy has hay-maker skill, the outcome could be different.

- Spin your body,
- Move yourself out of your opponent's striking path,
- Knock down your opponent's straight punch, and
- Hay-maker on the back of your opponent's head.

When your opponent comes in and tries to knock your head off, if you just swing your arm into a 45 degree downward hay-maker, you will be surprised how effective your hay-maker can be.

Last edited:
OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course the media will report it since it's a cool sounding headline but do you really think anyone who reads it will genuinely care...any non martial artist probably even bother looking at it and any martial artist will simply quickly read it give the video a quick watch then move on with their life.

This seems to be the happiest day of your life seeing that I mean you posted an article about it in a thread you started about the same thing.

I've never seen the national and international media report on a youtube video of a fight between two martial artists from MMA and TMA. There's been several such videos over the years, and none of them have garnered the attention that this one has.

There was just a video of an Aikido teacher getting schooled by a MMA fighter. That one didn't go anywhere as viral as this one has.

I also don't think this situation is over. People are challenging each other left and right, and big wigs are putting big money down to see who comes out of top. It's going to be an interesting few months over in China for martial arts enthusiasts.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I also don't think this situation is over. People are challenging each other left and right, and big wigs are putting big money down to see who comes out of top. It's going to be an interesting few months over in China for martial arts enthusiasts.
Xu Xiaodong only challenges Taiji guys. He still shows respect to TCMA styles such as:

- Da Chen Chuan,
- Tong Bei,
- Baji,
- WC.

IMO, only a 100% Taiji guy's challenge (with no cross training) will be able to end this discussion. Any other challenge will not be able to save the Taiji reputation.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But on a serious note. Anybody here ever gotten their *** kicked? Doesn't necessarily mean anything about either guy's Art.

Of course not. Never happened. I'm like the '72 Dolphins.

.... OK, she left. I can tell the truth now that my wife's not looking over my shoulder reading what I'm typing...

Absolutely, it happens on a quite regular basis. It's just that we don't actually leave each other as bruised and bloody any more like we used to do. You get caught now... you grin, laugh,and say, "Hey! Ya got me! Man, I'm gonna..." and you go into the next mini-bout, or round or whatever.

Back in the day, when young and stupid... yep. It has happened to everyone who has trained. And if it hasn't, you've not been training right. Knocked out, chocked out, tapped out, thrown out a couple of times, but those don't count since you can't score outside the competition surface in judo...

Yep.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is true, but my classmate (the guy from China) told me that both are going to be arrested for an unsanctioned fight. He said it as if he heard it on the news. Has any heard this? If it's true then both will be losers.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure if this is true, but my classmate (the guy from China) told me that both are going to be arrested for an unsanctioned fight. He said it as if he heard it on the news. Has any heard this? If it's true then both will be losers.

Reminds me of that time Beavis and Butthead made that YouTube video calling out all Tae Kwon Do fighters to come challenge him for 500 bucks.... In the Portland airport.

Yeah what can possibly go wrong fighting in an airport?

Reactions: JP3

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reminds me of that time Beavis and Butthead made that YouTube video calling out all Tae Kwon Do fighters to come challenge him for 500 bucks.... In the Portland airport.

Yeah what can possibly go wrong fighting in an airport?
ha ha ha.. yeah. they gave that up. First it was any TMA could accept, then it changed to only TKD, and the last time I checked it was only WTF TKD. Those guys are a mess. I don't think anyone ever accepted their challenge.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xu Xiaodong only challenges Taiji guys. He still shows respect to TCMA styles such as:

- Da Chen Chuan,
- Tong Bei,
- Baji,
- WC.

IMO, only a 100% Taiji guy's challenge (with no cross training) will be able to end this discussion. Any other challenge will not be able to save the Taiji reputation.

Wow the Tai chi guy is 42? wow.. by the way he was moving I thought he was way older than that. I'm freaking 44 going on 45 and I move with more life than he did.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. yeah. they gave that up. First it was any TMA could accept, then it changed to only TKD, and the last time I checked it was only WTF TKD. Those guys are a mess. I don't think anyone ever accepted their challenge.

I think they did but they said no you train mauy Thai as well so it won't count.

So they just keep moving things goal post.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
none of them have garnered the attention that this one has.

I imagine with political and everyday news being so dreadful that anything that takes people's minds off it, is welcome. Fights between two fleas would probably make the news at the moment.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I imagine with political and everyday news being so dreadful that anything that takes people's minds off it, is welcome. Fights between two fleas would probably make the news at the moment.
There's a lot of tension in the world. Things that were kind of "hidden in closets" has just poured out and everyone is crazy.. Even north Korea's leader is saying. "you guys are nuts." lol.My guess is once the tension releases then everyone will come back to their senses.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like I said before in the end did he really win? Because to me if you are asking for police protection, loosing your job, everyone hate you, perhaps even getting death threats you didn't win you lost. Martial arts isn't about just winning a physical fight it is about surviving and going home at night. So ya that taiji wantabe may have lost a fight but he gets to sleep well at night, gets to spend time with his family and walk outside while this mma guy can't even take a **** without someone wanting to get at him.

Latest Discussions