MMA versus Kung Fu Video!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a MMA versus Kung Fu thread but more what can happen when you are taken to the ground and hopefully point to the importance in having good grappling skills.

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what snapped at the end?

edited : exactly what snapped

I'm fairly new to grappling myself, but it doesnt seem like the KF guy was given all that much opportunity to tap.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard a "watch your eyes" in there, so his chance to tap might have dissapeared due to what he was trying. Hard to tell but he could have been trying to use eye gouges, in which case he's got nothing to complain about on "not getting time to tap"

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah i heard that too. If thats the case, then yes, I agree.

i'm curious as to what kind of rules were in place. Personally I wouldnt spar with anyone who intended to use eye gouges (or who kept the option open), no matter how superior my skills were. Just seems careless. I even get pissed when someone tries the can opener on me.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What exactly was the "kung fu guy" doing? This is deffinitely a video that proves serious complete training is needed, including ground game. Man I love seeing those "kung fu vs" videos with the KF guys wearing this stuff :rolleyes:

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is a pretty old clip. The MMA fighter is a pro. the Kung fu instructor had a standing $25,000 open challenge. So not only did he get his arm broken he lost $25k

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
The "Kung fu guy" looks like hes awful confident, perhaps not taking into account that the guy hes fighting is a pro. Plus if hes that eager to prove himself (betting 25k) then he probably needs an ego-deflation. Does anybody have an idea what style the kung fu guy practices?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like some unrealistic stuff to me...just my humble opinion though. That really has no bearing on his style really.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i didnt feel either one of them was in control more than the other. once you go to the ground you can sit there forever, u can do this stuff all day long...

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Looks like some unrealistic stuff to me...just my humble opinion though. That really has no bearing on his style really.

I know, its not the style thats fighting and all, I was just curious. I cant really tell by his stance, although it looks like an external style maybe? Hung Gar?

It looks like he kinda went blindly into his attack to me and maybe he didnt expect it to go to the ground?

Pretty stupid IMO

dok

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i didnt feel either one of them was in control more than the other. once you go to the ground you can sit there forever, u can do this stuff all day long...

I have to respectfully disagree. The guy who took it to the ground was clearly in control from the moment he had the other guy off balance.

As to doing it all day long - this was a fairly short clip. Its true if both people have comparable skills and there are no outside distractions you can grapple for a long time... but as brian pointed out this just goes to show what a discrepancy in skills can mean.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone could tell the kung fu guys style from that clip. He had no real stances and just launched some rediculously telegraphed kick only to be taken down and held there.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
poor guy....he did get his arm broke but I do think the MMA guy went easy on him.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
poor guy....he did get his arm broke but I do think the MMA guy went easy on him.

Going easy on him would have been making him tap out.

What else was he going to do after breaking his arm? Jump up and start stomping on him?

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know how anyone could tell the kung fu guys style from that clip. He had no real stances and just launched some rediculously telegraphed kick only to be taken down and held there.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Indeed, my thoughts exactly. Going straight into trying to kick someone who's likely going to grapple, didn't seem to me to be the best tactic to choose. Also didn't feel his opponent out. In fairness, he wasn't really given the choice either. Lol... Oh well, one lesson learned.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin

Going easy on him would have been making him tap out.

What else was he going to do after breaking his arm? Jump up and start stomping on him?

He could have mounted, and thrown punches and elbow to his face. he could have stayed where he was and used knees.

when he pushed his knees to the ground, it would have been very easy to slip to his back, flatten him out, and choke him unconcious.

notice he checked the kick but did no other striking?

I'd say he went easy on him.

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember seeing this a while back. If I remember correctly the guy is/was a san soo teacher. There were no rules and the san soo teacher didn't want tapping because he said it was unrealistic.

Latest Discussions