Misconceptions about non-contact sparring.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That said, both Hendricks and Lawler have done plenty of full-contact sparring and fighting in the past. They have that experience to draw on, which means they already understand correct distancing, how to relax under full contact pressure, how an opponent's body reacts to contact, and what it's like to receive and deliver a barrage of full-contact blows. I don't think someone who had never sparred or fought with contact would have that success.
I think you are making a good point here. Once you have learned how to make distance and how to engage it does stay with you. Whether you ever get to relax under that sort of pressure is debatable as your always going to be hyped up.

In the end though, in a SD situation, which for most of us is a pretty rare occassion unless we are stupid, we aren't going to be attacked by a trained fighter. We are not training to take on a trained fighter and most trained fighters, particularly those at a higher level, aren't going around attacking people.
:asian:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well if we wanted to throw irrelevant around your unproven personal anecdotes kind of fit as well.

But I am sure you are awesome.
You are becoming offensive again. I'm sure Ballen can speak for himself but what is this BS you are throwing around that his personal experience is irrelevant. What Ballen and the other LEOs have is experience you and I will never have. Take a step back. Not everything has to be on YouTube. If you can't understand what is being written without seeing it in action it is a problem of comprehension. If Ballen, or any of the other LEOs started to post material that was not real or unlikely, it would be challenged immediately by a peer. You and I are not their peers. They are on the street risking their lives day after day. They walk the walk, unlike us who train for fun because we want to. I have had top police and military trainers teach me at various times. To me, their first hand experience is like gold. You don't listen, you don't learn ... simple.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How bout this? Both fighters don't spar full contact, one doesn't even spar. Oddly enough, looks like they didn't have any cardio or conditioning issues.
Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler: How Safe Sparring May Change Contact Sports | Bleacher Report

Guys, I think that the larger point is missed, though. Anyone who is fighting in an mma match is getting hit, working out the timing and technique under pressure and at full speed and power.

Is it sparring? Well, not really, but if you're a professional mma fighter, regardless of how often you fight at this level of intensity, it is not accurate to say that they never do so. The stakes are much higher in a professional mma ring, but the tangible benefits of sparring remain the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You are becoming offensive again. I'm sure Ballen can speak for himself but what is this BS you are throwing around that his personal experience is irrelevant. What Ballen and the other LEOs have is experience you and I will never have. Take a step back. Not everything has to be on YouTube. If you can't understand what is being written without seeing it in action it is a problem of comprehension. If Ballen, or any of the other LEOs started to post material that was not real or unlikely, it would be challenged immediately by a peer. You and I are not their peers. They are on the street risking their lives day after day. They walk the walk, unlike us who train for fun because we want to. I have had top police and military trainers teach me at various times. To me, their first hand experience is like gold. You don't listen, you don't learn ... simple.

I'm going to remember this the next time someone calls me out for suggesting that experience is immaterial to credibility as an expert. :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to remember this the next time someone calls me out for suggesting that experience is immaterial to credibility as an expert.
Yes. But remember you have to have credibility before you can stand on it. :p

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to remember this the next time someone calls me out for suggesting that experience is immaterial to credibility as an expert. :)

And you would still be wrong :btg:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And that is the rub I am just supposed to believe people. Or I am being offensive.

Look you can believe if you want. I will test OK?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Striking and wrestling combined is tough.
Actually, pure grappling is a hell of a lot more of a workout to me than grappling and striking...with the striking you can break off and keep distance to rest. No purpose in breaking off in pure grappling.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except I don't train to fight in a ring. So repeated fighting of fresh guys means nothing to me. I have no desire to ever fight in a ring. I train to fight to save my life should the need arise. No amount of sparing will ever prepare you for the total adrenaline dump you get in a real live fight with a real live bad guy trying to kill you. So you want to train for sport fighting that way is probably very helpful. It just doesn't carry over to real life.

Except it does in the hundreds of street fights I can't prove I have been been in but that you can't question.

Regardless if you are talking about non contact and full contact. You can easily do both and see which one is harder.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that is the rub I am just supposed to believe people. Or I am being offensive.

So come test. Everytime I put my hands on someone it has to be documented. Feel free to stop by all our reports are available to the public at my department.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Except it does in the hundreds of street fights I can't prove I have been been in but that you can't question.

Regardless if you are talking about non contact and full contact. You can easily do both and see which one is harder.
The issue isn't that one requires more energy than the others, I agree with you that full contact requires more energy than noncontact, but that's unimportant. When all your adrenaline comes, its going to drain you either way, since it'll just use all that energy at once.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It doesn't matter which one is harder. What's harder for you might not be harder for me and and what's easy for you may be hard for me. No training no matter how tough you make it will ever compare to real life the adrenaline release and fight or flight response kicks in. There is nothing in a controlled training environment that can match it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which one is harder. What's harder for you might not be harder for me and and what's easy for you may be hard for me. No training no matter how tough you make it will ever compare to real life the adrenaline release and fight or flight response kicks in. There is nothing in a controlled training environment that can match it.

A full contact fight is pretty close. But it depends what you are used to. When I did a heap of fights at work I did not adrenal dump as much. Because there is less lead up. I suffered really badly a week before.

The last street fight I got into I was pretty calm. But it varies. Straight after eating a decent injury. I was nervous as hell for a while.

A friend of mine suffered really badly in a very casual boxing match he did. To the point he was shaking and outright couldn't function. Now the thing is he street fights no problem. He also was fine on his first fight that was more serious.

Now yes I am using anecdotes but not to the point I am beating you around the head with a "I have black belt I am right. Don't question"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue isn't that one requires more energy than the others, I agree with you that full contact requires more energy than noncontact, but that's unimportant. When all your adrenaline comes, its going to drain you either way, since it'll just use all that energy at once.

Only sort of. Adrenaline is not very consistent.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So come test. Everytime I put my hands on someone it has to be documented. Feel free to stop by all our reports are available to the public at my department.

Halfway across the world?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A full contact fight is pretty close. But it depends what you are used to. When I did a heap of fights at work I did not adrenal dump as much. Because there is less lead up. I suffered really badly a week before.

The last street fight I got into I was pretty calm. But it varies. Straight after eating a decent injury. I was nervous as hell for a while.

A friend of mine suffered really badly in a very casual boxing match he did. To the point he was shaking and outright couldn't function. Now the thing is he street fights no problem. He also was fine on his first fight that was more serious.

Now yes I am using anecdotes but not to the point I am beating you around the head with a "I have black belt I am right. Don't question"
OK kid whatever you say.......

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Pretty much yes. If someone says something credible I will believe them at face value the same way I believed you when you first came to MT. But time generally sorts the wheat from the chaff. Questioning to expand an issue is a very reasonable thing to do but if you question from the point of view that the person is wrong, then that can turn ugly. And, since you asked, yes, a number of people are finding your posts offensive.

We can all make up our minds and believe what we want, but this is the internet. You can't 'test' anything. Continuing to demand evidence that doesn't exist is not reasonable.

I wonder if you are equating you job in security as 'hundreds of street fights'. If you have genuinely been in 'hundreds' of street fights I would seriously question your character and your intelligence. I would also question why you were frequenting areas where street fights are likely to occur and what transpired to get you involved in those fights.

I think it is a given that many people around here have a black belt. It sounds a bit like 'penis envy'. When you write of things like your friend's response to a fight I am more than happy to accept that. When you talk of 'hundreds' of street fights where you have beaten up on heaps of black belts, that's when my BS meter goes off the scale.

Halfway across the world?
And that is why we have to take people's word for things, especially when what is being claimed makes perfect sense.
Questioning for the sake of questioning is trolling.

Reactions: MJS

Latest Discussions