Mir's cockiness has Kongo steaming mad

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-11-2009 03:55 PM:Cheick Kongo is a good natured giant. That was until the last few weeks when Frank Mir's trash talk pushed the 6-foot-4, 230-pounder over the edge. Mir said Kongo is a one-dimensional fighter with a terrible ground game, calling him the worst submission artist in the heavyweight division and that he wanted rip off Kongo's arm to scare Brock Lesnar.

"Your takedowns suck. Your takedown defense sucks," Mir said.

That's fine but for some reason, Mir also chose to mock on Kongo's English during Countdown to UFC 107:

"He doesn't speak english. If he does, not very well," said Mir. Mir, 30, also took a shot at Kongo's English again during Thursday's UFC 107 press conference saying he didn't want to trade words because of the language barrier. That was the final straw for Kongo (2:53 mark):

"He was a former UFC champion. That's good. He did a good job. Irespect that. But as a person? No. I can't let anyone judge or treat melike a piece of [expletive]. And he did."

Mir's language comments come off as a little juvenile and speaks badly for Americans by mocking on someone who in fact is multilingual.

Now the question is, will this backfire? Mir (12-4, 10-4 UFC) said he doesn't think he's made mistake by angering Kongo. In fact, he suggested a charging Kongo (14-5, 7-3 UFC) will help.

"For my style of fight, the most difficult thing for me is someone who backs up and jabs," said Mir. "Cheick Kongo is taller than I am. He has a longer reach. If he were to move backwards it would be very hard for me to take him down."

Mir spent most of the press conference leaning back with a smirk on his face. He and B.J. Penn also traded smiles a few times as if they were the bullies enjoying listening to Kongo get upset.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I hate it when people who are suposed to be "champions" or at least former ones do the head game stuff. If you were a good enough fighter you wouldn't need to be playing games. GSP doesn't talk smack unless pervoked. Neither does Anderson Silva or Mechida(not sure about the spelling there).

On the other hand...Mir was right. There's just no need to be a jerk about it.

Latest Discussions