Mir answers steroids rumors

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-28-2009 09:15 AM:

Manny Pacquiao, Derek Jeter and LeBron James -- you name the athlete, there isn't one single major sports icon who's above being accused of performance enhancing drug use. The groundwork for suspicion has been laid the last 35 years and now everyone is under scrutiny. That certainly includes fighters especially the heavyweights. The UFC's big boy ranks keeps getting bigger and bigger. Frank Mir felt like he had to keep up with the Joneses so he added 21 pounds from July to December for UFC 107 fight against Cheick Kongo. Once the scale read 264.5 pounds and Mir still looked pretty lean, the rumors flew on message boards. Mir chuckles at the allegations.

" I'm not gonna steer that route. The UFC drug tests the hell out of us. I get randomly drug tested all the time because I'm with the UFC. I'm sure there's a way around everything but that's a lot of stress."

Mir said it would be too much to deal with before a fight. He told Cagewriter that he was incredibly lean with low body fat at UFC 100. After the fight, he immediately ballooned up to 265 pounds. He worked with elite former Strongman contestant Mark Philippi to add the bulk and strength the right way. Mir is hoping to be walking around at 280 pounds by his next fight.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.