Mir sends a message putting Kongo to sleep

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-13-2009 12:54 AM:Frank Mir wanted to rip an arm off to send a message to UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar. Cheick Kongo got to leave the cage with all his limbs but it was only after a short nap. Mir had talked about Kongo having the worst submission defense in the heavyweight division but it was the former champs' striking that set up his nasty finish. Mir faked a jab and plowed through with a huge left flooring the big Frenchman. While Kongo was scrambling to regain his wits he left his exposed on the ground. Not a good move against a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. Mir got him in a guillotine choke and never let go. Kongo refused to tap and was snoring 22 seconds later. Mir bounces back from his UFC 100 loss to Lesnar with a win at 1:12 of the first round.

Mir wants another shot against Lesnar but he wasn't about to trash talk the champ. Lesnar is recovering from what style largely a mystery illness that may require major surgery:

"On a personal level, I really do hope that Brock gets healthy. He's a father and husband," said Mir, who has split two fights with Lesnar. "Get healthy so that I can redeem myself. I will hurt you and that will be the last of it."

Since July, Mir has been consumed with the loss to Lesnar atUFC 100. The 265-pound Lesnar overpowered Mir and showed greattechnique. Mir, 30, worked heavilywith former World Strongman competitor Mark Philippion adding bulk and was able to bump his weight from 245 to 264.5.Against an athletic striker, some thought this might be the wrong fightto add all the weight. But Mir didn't appear to lose any speed and hehad more than enough power on the ground to nearly decapitate Kongo.

Mir wasn't very gracious with Kongo before this fight. He spent months blasting Kongo's one-dimensional game and said that he wanted end his career by ripping an arm off. It looked like Kongo snapped mentally a bit during Friday's weigh-in when he refused to look at Mir during the faceoff. When the fight started, he was far from an aggressive striking machine. He was tentative and didn't react to Mir's fake right.

"He had a very erect stance. My boxing coach Jimmy Gifford noticed that. I knew if I slipped my head to the right, he would stay erect."

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions