Mirroring Techniques

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the school where I train we have a comprehensive test at 3rd brown which includes being able to do all the techniques up to and including the 3rd brown list right and left handed. The way I found that worked best for me (someone else already mentioned it) is to just pick one or two moves at a time and then do them with the other side. Another way that I've seen it done is to use the "mirror concept" some of you mentioned in connection with teaching kids (I do this too btw), have a training partner do the technique "right-handed" and you face them and mirror it. by doing the tech.'s slowly at first and taking turns with your partner you can pick them up pretty quickly.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Another way that I've seen it done is to use the "mirror concept" some of you mentioned in connection with teaching kids (I do this too btw), have a training partner do the technique "right-handed" and you face them and mirror it. by doing the tech.'s slowly at first and taking turns with your partner you can pick them up pretty quickly.
I like the idea of doing it with a training partner as opposed to initially starting out trying to use it to teach someone else...let them know it's more for my benefit to start. Thanks Kenpotex :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
As a requirement for second black, I am challenged to begin mirroring my techniques. I went back here on MT and read an interesting thread by tshadowchaser entitled - left-right? and the thread debated the necessity of doing this. There were some interesting arguments on both sides. However, as this is a requirement for me I don't have the luxury of deciding whether or not it's something I'd like to do, or personally find necessary, although I'm hoping I will find benefits to doing this.

For years now I've been training these techniques one sided and now have to rethink how I do them. To help me prepare for this I mirrored a few techniques in my personal form for my black belt. It was simply confusing - a major brain drain! :confused: This is something that we are expected to learn on our own, and right now I think I'm dreading the process, and am already putting off starting it. I'm wondering if anyone who teaches this or has self taught technique mirroring has any insights, ideas, suggestions, or recommendations on how to make this process a little less painful. :)

Thanks,
MJ :asian:

Like Shodan said, standing IFO the student and doing the tech. is a great way to learn it on the other side. While some are easier to do than others, the majority of them can be done with ease. This is especially helpful when teaching children. I had a hard enough time teaching them standing along side of them, but they picked up the tech. much easier if I was facing them.

This is also a good drill to do during regular class time. Many students are quick learners, so giving them a challenge by doing the techs. on the left, will keep the mind thinking. At times during a tech. line, the student would often face an attack that they had not learned a defense for. By learning the tech. on the opp. side, they just gained an extra tech. IE- A left/right lapel grab or left/right punch--Delayed Sword.

Mike

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
This is also a good drill to do during regular class time. Many students are quick learners, so giving them a challenge by doing the techs. on the left, will keep the mind thinking. At times during a tech. line, the student would often face an attack that they had not learned a defense for. By learning the tech. on the opp. side, they just gained an extra tech. IE- A left/right lapel grab or left/right punch--Delayed Sword.

Mike
:) Thanks Mike!

I suppose that since they eventually need to learn it this way it's a good idea to get them thinking on it a little sooner than black.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah,
The reason for the drills are to assist you in the flow, the flow then comes.
Right-left, left-right, it will not matter after you are into training with both
sides with equal emphasis. I believe it will help both sides to become very efficent.
What dictates what side will dominate, will be what the attacker or your opponent will do. Your training should rise to the occasion, if you have not trained to accomplish this then you are lacking. (my opinion) Regards, Gary

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GAB said:
mj-hi-yah,
Right-left, left-right, it will not matter after you are into training with both
sides with equal emphasis. I believe it will help both sides to become very efficent.
What dictates what side will dominate, will be what the attacker or your opponent will do. Your training should rise to the occasion, if you have not trained to accomplish this then you are lacking. (my opinion) Regards, Gary
Gary when we work drills, like timing drills, we usually will start with the right side and then work also the left side. Making the switch to the left is always a challenge for me. I have to really stop and rethink the drill, but then with practice it does begin to flow, just not as quickly as on the right. I kind of agree about what dictates which side will dominate. If it is pure reaction than the action of the opponent will dictate the reaction, but if I meet their action with my own action than I think my dominant side usually will naturally take control. I hope this makes sense :) ... Now I will say that perhaps training my left side more completely might change that, but I am not there yet to make a personal judgment on it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
:) Thanks Mike!

I suppose that since they eventually need to learn it this way it's a good idea to get them thinking on it a little sooner than black.

You're welcome! :asian:

I usually didnt introduce this until the middle ranks, due to the fact that the beginner has enough to worry about, without having to worry about now trying to do the tech. on the opp. side.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GAB said:
mj-hi-yah,

Lets keep in mind that the idea of this thread is taking a right side tech. and doing it on the left. In the Kenpo system, there are techs. that address both left and right attacks.

We need to crawl before we walk. We need to walk before we can run. The same can be applied to stick work in the FMA. Take the basic disarms. They are all done on the right side, so of course, its going to take time to get them on the left side.

Mike

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I usually didnt introduce this until the middle ranks, due to the fact that the beginner has enough to worry about, without having to worry about now trying to do the tech. on the opp. side.
Mike,
I was thinking that too...the confused :erg: look on a beginner's face is enough to tell you when they've had enough. I think the middle ranks are a good place to start, especially because of the concern of performing techniques on a belt test. It's scary enough in the beginning without having to worry about which way to start.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We practice techniques on both sides starting at green belt. As mentioned before, repetition is the key. I'm comfortable doing the techniques either way. That being said, I must agree with Prof. Shuras, my natural tendency is to react with the right sided response. Recognizing that, we train the techniques on each side against both right and left attacks. Naturally, some techniques are more amenable to this than others.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark L said:
We practice techniques on both sides starting at green belt. As mentioned before, repetition is the key. I'm comfortable doing the techniques either way. That being said, I must agree with Prof. Shuras, my natural tendency is to react with the right sided response. Recognizing that, we train the techniques on each side against both right and left attacks. Naturally, some techniques are more amenable to this than others.
Thanks for sharing Mark!:)

I've gotten lots of great ideas on this, but it's also very interesting to see how different people approach this task in terms of when they begin.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-h-yah,

You are welcome, since this is the time you have come upon this problem, would'nt it have been nice to have started this numerous years ago, before it is so entrenched that you are now a black belt, agonizing over it and feeling like a white, who is left handed and trying to do the stuff the way the righties do?

JKD and Guro Dans Kali are nice arts, you would like the information you will find in them, invest in a couple of books and a wealth of information will be at your disposal. You will never look at the Art of Kenpo in the same light.

Regards, gary

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My last suggestion for learn the opposite side of things is to do mundane tasks around the house with your left hand instead of the right. It wil seem awkward at first but once you get it, practicing the opposite side also becomes a little easier.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel that there are two essentials to this kind of work:
1. Persistance. Get at it and stay at it. Don't try to do too much at one time. Take three techniques and work at smoothing itheir execution in the "off" side for about 2 days, then take the next three for two days. Once you get an entire belt level of techs down...spend a week of going over every tech each day on its off side. Then move to the next belt...and so on.
BE persistant. Keep at it. Eventually you will really see some results.
2. Patience. This is HOW you stay persistant.

I feel this process is very good. It takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you reevaluate what you already know...but on the flip side.
I think you'll find that your ability will double.

You'll be glad you did.

Your Brother
John

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GAB said:
mj-h-yah,

You are welcome, since this is the time you have come upon this problem, would'nt it have been nice to have started this numerous years ago, before it is so entrenched that you are now a black belt, agonizing over it and feeling like a white, who is left handed and trying to do the stuff the way the righties do?

JKD and Guro Dans Kali are nice arts, you would like the information you will find in them, invest in a couple of books and a wealth of information will be at your disposal. You will never look at the Art of Kenpo in the same light.

Regards, gary
So true Gary! I wonder how Kenpo impacts the left handed person. It would be interesting to see how many left handed people there are studying Kenpo and how they feel about it. I myself have taken it for granted being right handed. I think you and others may be onto something in terms of beginning this sooner. I'm still learning new techniques as well and need to balance the time I spend on the new things I'm learning with the time I spend on this task. I'm hoping it will be time well spent though as I think I'll learn more about the techniques in having to tear them apart to reverse them.

What does JKD stand for? Also if you have any favorite references for either of these I'd be interested in having you post them.

Thanks,

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
My last suggestion for learn the opposite side of things is to do mundane tasks around the house with your left hand instead of the right. It wil seem awkward at first but once you get it, practicing the opposite side also becomes a little easier.
Not a bad idea Rob, I might have to pin my right hand down though, and I think I'll leave the check writing to my right or no one will get paid :lol:

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I feel that there are two essentials to this kind of work:
1. Persistance. 2. Patience. This is HOW you stay persistant.
Thanks Brother John! :)

I agree persistence and patience are key in learning anything.

It does take you out of your comfort zone too. I think that's a great way to describe it!

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a groups of 7 people that stayed together throght the ranks of orange, purple, blue, and green 3 ladies and 4 gentleman. They all tested on the same days, they always arranged to meet for extra practice together. 1 of the ladies and 2 of the gentlemen were left handed and Kenpo seemed more awkward to them for Yellow, Orange and Purple, but suddenly everythings seemd to click for them, and they seemd to pick up almost every technique effortlessly after that. The trainied themselves to just do what was required of them and not think about what hand it was. Once they started Long 3 later on they seemed to grasp teh material much faster the other four people. You have t get past thinking you are doing it on the opposite side and just do the technqies. Brother John was completely correct in saying don't do too much. Do a few techniques at a time.

For doing mundane tasks with the opposite hand start of with things like sweeping and mopping dusting etc...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GAB said:

Regards, gary

I agree with Gary on that one!!! Since I've been training in the FMA, I've noticed an improvement in my Kenpo as well as the grappling. It definately improves hand/eye coordination.

Mike

Latest Discussions