Minneapolis Taekwondo

cat101

White Belt
Reaction score
All,

I've just moved to Minneapolis from Nevada and am looking for a new dojang to attend. A little bit about myself - I've been practicing TKD since the age of 6, and competed until 21 years old. I'm now almost 30 and have taken a few years off training, but would like to find a good dojang that 1) my daughter (4 years old) can attend to learn and earn her black belt and 2) I can train on strictly olympic style TKD training twice a week. Ideally, i'd love to be apart of a competition sparring team, where I can help coach and be a practice dummy for the young guns who are trying to work their way up the sparring ladder. I live in Maple Grove, the west side of Minneapolis.

Anybody have any suggestions? While i only have two days to dedicate, I come from a time where practices aren't just 45 mins-an hour. I'd be willing to dedicate 3-4 hours to really get my team trained.

Kind Regards,

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry I can't be of help, but welcome to MartialTalk, Cat101. Hope you enjoy your time here. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the thing to do is start with an internet search to identify some schools, visit them to identify which ones are compatible with your goals and your availability, and start some discussions with the owners and teaching staff.

The internet is a place to start, but might not be the only place to look.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Places you my not find easily on the internet are Programs at the local Park Districts, and community Centers like YMCA / JCC. You might have to check their on line catalogs or call them.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With your goal of studying WT/KKW-style TKD with your child and helping to coach a competition team in mind, I looked on Google and found a couple of schools that might meet your goals:

This looks like a business-savvy chain of schools, and that can be hit or miss (sometimes, chain schools' business success comes at the expense of the quality of their training), but they have a photo of an adult competitor in a Daedo electronic hogu on the home page, which suggests that Olympic competition training is a priority for them.

According to their class schedule, they have both a sparring competition team and a poomse team, and their homepage has a photo of some kids at a tournament.

OP
C

cat101

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This is all quite appreciated. I will say, I guess I was hoping for a 'hail mary' -- someone who is local in MN who knows of a school that is not easily found on the internet but trains quite hard. Essentially, that's what my old dojang was, a school that had 5-6 serious competitors that would train 3-5 hours a day every day before/after regular class hours.

I'm going to try these two dojangs and see what occurs at them. Thank you all again!

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This is all quite appreciated. I will say, I guess I was hoping for a 'hail mary' -- someone who is local in MN who knows of a school that is not easily found on the internet but trains quite hard. Essentially, that's what my old dojang was, a school that had 5-6 serious competitors that would train 3-5 hours a day every day before/after regular class hours.

I'm going to try these two dojangs and see what occurs at them. Thank you all again!
Did you find one you like? I used to live pretty close to there and liked the gym I trained at with my children. However they are not competition heavy and sparring mostly happened a couple times a year. They were talking about changing that before I left but I don’t know if they did or not.