Wooden Sprung Floor

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To lighter matters. I began practicing Taekwondo on a wooden sprung floor in the 1980s and resumed training on such a floor last year.

I've always preferred a wood floor for basics, forms training and was wondering how many of you out there are still "old-school" and practice on sprung wood.

My dojang has such a floor in the main training area where do most of our training. We have a Zebra puzzle-mat surfaced sprung board floor in a secondary area, where we do sparring and ground/throwing self-defense.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "sprung" floor. Generally, a spring floor is something you see like in a gymnastics studio; the floor is literally on springs to help give you lift for jumps. Wouldn't that be a problem for making and assessing stances, stepping, and more.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "sprung" floor. Generally, a spring floor is something you see like in a gymnastics studio; the floor is literally on springs to help give you lift for jumps. Wouldn't that be a problem for making and assessing stances, stepping, and more.

Sorry! The more accurate description is "floating floor" like you might find in a dance school. In the old days the wood would be laid on a sub-surface made of spaced rubber or metal sprung panels.The wood floor I have is laid on a 1/2 or 3/4 inch special foam/plastic material sub-surface that is in turn laid above the concrete base. The wood panels are joined together with metal clips. This might explain it a lot better than I can: http://www.exerflex.net/groupexer.htm.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love that kind of flooring. I thought all gyms had floors like that till I moved to the US.

I think they are so much kinder on the joints than the concrete floors.

We have puzzle mats on concrete in the school, just not the same...

On the other hand, any of you ever got to walk on astro turf in a dome stadium? AWESOME!!!

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I'm rich (HAHAHAHAHHAHA) I'll have my basement finished with sprung flooring and mirrors. Private Dojo!!!!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor's school has a wooden floor like the one you describe. I love it when training there. I have trained in schools with mats on the floor several times and don't care for it. Give me wood any day.

Pax,

Chris

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the late 1980's I taught once a week on a sprung wooden floor. It was my favorite class of the week. Now teaching on tile over concrete, I miss those days!

Latest Discussions