Mind is Power

M

muayThaiPerson

The mind is what makes the fighter or Martial Artist REALLY strong. You can be stronger, bigger, and faster, but it doesn't hold up to a dedicated mind and will. The mind or will of a fighter is what makes the fighter. Without the mind, the body cannot function. And without a strong mind, a fighter cannot fight, let alone win.

To build your mind you need to study. This doesn't mean go back to school, or sign up for another class or bury yourself in your homework...though it can. When we say mind, we think brains. This is true, but there is a lot more to it then that. An educated mind is a powerful thing, but a dedicated mind is unyielding.

Philosophy has been around since man was man. Studying it and using it helps your mind expand and helps you develop a strong mind. Learn about philosophy and read some articles about it above.

Almost all fighters deal with certain mind blocks that they must overcome. One of them is fear. Fear can break a fighter, but it can also be their best ally. Learn about how to use it and make it your ally above.

Confidence deals with fear as well, but confidence is more like fearing yourself. You must have 100% confidence in your abilities and your skills. If you don't you will never become great. Develop your confidence above.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read it often--in fact I just started a new philosophy book last night (Greek Mathematical Philosophy in this case)--and think it's quite important. One of the things I love about traditional arts is the typically detailed philosophy, both of strategy and of ethics.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MTP: Where are you quoting from?

I agree that much of martial arts is in the mind. It's necessary to discipline the mind and then instil the habits of the mind into the body, through structured training.

When my practice suffers it's usually because my mind is not right.

OP
C

chufeng

Personally, I think it is important to go out of your mind at least once a day, preferrably for more than 20 minutes...

Do this after reading something philosophical and you get added benefit.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

i had more confidence in sparring after i read this and its good to be reminded of philosophy after a while

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Any of you guys read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius? There's some good stuff in there. Every time I read it I get something new - considering I've read it four times now and keep coming back to find something new. Either it's a good book or I was too dumb to pick it up the goods the first three times I read it. :D

Respectfully

OP
J

J-kid

Took a wal but i no longer fear it. Infact dosnt worry me much anymore this was one of the things i had to deal with when i first started going around and slugging it out in Neighborhood NHB fights.

OP
F

fissure

Im so glad to see you are really begining to understand MA Judo kid!:rolleyes:

OP
S

Shinzu

agreed. your mind can either play tricks on you, or you can be in total control of the situation. control of the mind is what brings you power.

OP
S

Senfeng

Anyone else practice Qi Gong? I started practicing and noticed that the clarity I felt afterwords translated to increased reflexes and clearer thinking while sparring. My opponent would move and I was able to understand what he was doing and react to it quicker. I thought less about the actual techniques. Rather, the techniques just happened.

Latest Discussions