Military Training - A Failure in Modern Times?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that this more properly belongs in the War College but, as an unfortunate side-effect of making the Study invisible, I have lost access to that forum, so here will have to do.

Whilst browsing Baen books to see if there were any Honor Harrington related works I had missed in my emotional nightmare of a year, I came across this article from Tom Kratman and wondered if any of our militarily experienced members had any thoughts on what he has to say about the state of training for the modern (American) soldier:

http://www.baen.com/WarTraining-Part1.asp

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really don't see much of a statement about the modern military there Suk.

A bit about "back when I was in Vietnam"....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that perhaps that will develop in future installments - that's the impression I got from his preamble at any rate (I hadn't realised that there was only the first part available yet :D).

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't see much of a statement about the modern military there Suk.

A bit about "back when I was in Vietnam"....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

At the risk of redundancy; Suks response preempted mine, I think you could have framed that criticism as easily citing WWI or the Civil War. Part 1 is clearly in the nature of a prologue. I would love to read part 2 and see what case he ultimately makes.

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am interested to see part 2 as well.

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." - Anonymous

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
So far, not seeing too much to talk about. His comments are so generalized he really isn't saying anything. Maybe in subsequent articles, if they actually materialize.

I do agree with the idea of difficult and continuous training; after all, you do what you train to do. That would include doing things you don't like to do, or you think are stupid, and being harassed physically and mentally while you do it. But I don't think he is articulating that well. Maybe because he is looking for a story line, or he is going to do that in subsequent articles.