MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a brave man. It's very said.

Getting elected now, he said, “is like winning a tiger in a raffle.”

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bananas on our door step.

the violence is outta hand. been getting worse for the past few years.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bananas on our door step.

the violence is outta hand. been getting worse for the past few years.

Kinda makes you wish "A Clear and Present Danger" was a history book instead of Tom Clancy fiction. Then again, there's still time.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a Mexican I am too sad and too worry about the narc wars in my country. In my city has been maybe 4 or 5 shootings in the streets, sometimes is the Ejercito (Army) and the narcs, sometimes is La Armada (The navy) and the narcs some times the shootings are beetwen narc factions. Some months ago a friend of mine was joging at the Boulevard at 6 am (the boulebard is a preety nice place where people of all ages go to workout/exercise) and he was caught inside one of these shootings, he barely arrived to the nearest hospital and had have two or three surgeris since that.

I am very afraid for my daughters, wife and family, the police corporations (locally) are corrupted, and I don't like to go out at nite, I am afraid to be kidnaped or killed by this narc gangs.

The northern cities like Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Sonora,Baja California, Monterrey Nuevo Leon, Tampico, etc there is no law but the law of the AK47, The Barrett .50 Rifles and the grenade launchers.

The fact is, the Army and Navy are having some sucess capturing some narc kings like The Barbie, El grandote (The Big one), Ignacio "Nacho" Coronel and the Beltran Leyba Brothers but in several places of my country the things are awfull, since last year the narcs are killing mayors, police chiefs even gobernators.

Don't know when this gona end.

Manny

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny,

It is very sad to hear. Mexico is one of my favorite countries. The Mexican people are a great family oriented culture. I hope that the government can take charge and stop this violence. To many people are dieing for no reason.
The USA needs to continue to crack down on the drug problem in our country which fuels the demand and the big profits that these evil people make. It is not just a Mexican problem it is a North American problem and we need to work together to solve it. People don't realize that this is going to cross over the US border in a much bigger way. Unfortunately I think allot more people are going to die before this gets better.

SAD!SAD!SAD!SAD!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly this drugs things is difficult, there is a huge demand of drugs in USA and in Mexico too, all the guns that ilegally get inside Mexico come from USA, all the money that feeds the narcotraffic here in Mexico come from USA. Here there are alot of drug cartels like the Familia Nichoacana, el Cartel del Golfo,El cartel del pacifico,el cratel de los Hermanos Arellano,El cartel del Chapo Guzman,el cartel de los hermanos Leyva and the worst of all Los Zetas- Los Zettas where highly trained army men who worked for the cartels as the executer arm, they were the ones who did the killings,the kidnapins,etc however the Zetas saw the big money that can do smuggling themselves the drugs and started their own bussiness leaving their boses and using the terror to desastibilicied the drug cartels and my country.
Don´t really know if the efforts that presidente Calderon it´s good cause the people is the one who suffers, I think the eforts the army and navy are not too much cause the narcs are too many and to well armed, besides the terror they are planting in my people is terrible.

Manny

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sadly this drugs things is difficult, there is a huge demand of drugs in USA and in Mexico too, all the guns that ilegally get inside Mexico come from USA, all the money that feeds the narcotraffic here in Mexico come from USA. Here there are alot of drug cartels like the Familia Nichoacana, el Cartel del Golfo,El cartel del pacifico,el cratel de los Hermanos Arellano,El cartel del Chapo Guzman,el cartel de los hermanos Leyva and the worst of all Los Zetas- Los Zettas where highly trained army men who worked for the cartels as the executer arm, they were the ones who did the killings,the kidnapins,etc however the Zetas saw the big money that can do smuggling themselves the drugs and started their own bussiness leaving their boses and using the terror to desastibilicied the drug cartels and my country.
Don´t really know if the efforts that presidente Calderon it´s good cause the people is the one who suffers, I think the eforts the army and navy are not too much cause the narcs are too many and to well armed, besides the terror they are planting in my people is terrible.

Manny
So how safe do you think the USA Team is traveling in Mexico for PAN AMS? I know that most of the violence is within the towns you have mentioned but I have also read where Mexico City has issues as well. A gunman opened fired in a StarBucks, along with many other reports of being robbed mugged on the buses. Knowing that a junior team member came in from Clubbing in the very wee hours of the morning in Cali Columbia and it did not seem to concern any one with the USAT, this does tend to worry me. Along with the recent be-heading of the investigator in the killing of the American on the jet ski, it is very scary! What's your thoughts?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how safe do you think the USA Team is traveling in Mexico for PAN AMS? I know that most of the violence is within the towns you have mentioned but I have also read where Mexico City has issues as well. A gunman opened fired in a StarBucks, along with many other reports of being robbed mugged on the buses. Knowing that a junior team member came in from Clubbing in the very wee hours of the morning in Cali Columbia and it did not seem to concern any one with the USAT, this does tend to worry me. Along with the recent be-heading of the investigator in the killing of the American on the jet ski, it is very scary! What's your thoughts?

Well, Mexico City is as safe as New York for example, there is crime in Mexico City like in NY, yes there are Drugs in mexico City like in NY, the cities or towns more afected are the ones that are in the border with USA.

Manny

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knowing that a junior team member came in from Clubbing in the very wee hours of the morning in Cali Columbia and it did not seem to concern any one with the USAT, this does tend to worry me.

Depending on the circumstances, that might worry me. My employer does a lot of business in the region. Cali is the second largest city in the Colombia and is currently the kidnapping capitol..we are seeing more there than what we are currently seeing in Medellín or Bogotá.

However, like many cities in the region, much depends on where they were. It is not unusual for the Colombian or Ecuadoran people to turn a night out in to an all-night affair, at many restaurants, the tables get pushed aside at a certain hour so the patrons can remain and dance. :)

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about Mexico City. We have field personnel that travel to Mexico City and Tijuana without much issue, but we avoid the regions that Manny mentioned.

That doesn't mean that the people traveling should avoid common sense. Do homework and read up on how to safely travel the area. Drawing attention to oneself by getting plastered and running down the street shrieking with ones friends is not a good idea. Sticking to the tourist areas is a good idea, as is keeping ones valuables (including camera/iPod/cell phone) under wraps, and not going out alone.

Generally there is little need to carry much cash. Mexico City is a modern city with ATM machines and establishments that take credit cards A few minutes research ahead of time will identify where the ATMs are in relation to one's hotel.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kinda makes you wish "A Clear and Present Danger" was a history book instead of Tom Clancy fiction. Then again, there's still time.

Sad news and a bad time; I agree with Gemini as well.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are the gun ownership rights in Mexico?

Goos question, besides I am a certified black belt in TKD I am also an avid shooter and hunter so I can asnwer your question pretty easily.

As a mexican Citizen you can own and posses: a) any sporting/hunting shotgun (pump action,semiauto,double)with barrels above 20" and a caliber not higer than 12 ga. b) Any sporting/hunting rifle (bolt action,lever action,pump action,semiuto not easily converted to full auto). c) Any revolver not larger tha .38 spl and any semiauto not larger than .380 acp.

All the guns above mentioes must be registered in the Army and if you want to take your gun for hunting or sporting pourposes you must ask a tranportation permit to the Army.

Concealed Carry Permitions are almost impossible to get, only the very very wealthy people with political conections can have one or very powerful people (tv media or politicians) can get one of these.

We don't have gunshsops in Mexico, all the guns must be buy in the Army and to get one gun in the Aremy a Mexican must qualify to it giving the Army all your perosnla data like: a Medical certificaction that you are phisically and psicological ablew to shoot and handle guns, a leytter from your employee who states your work, how many years in your work and your income, a proof of the place where you live (power or telephone bill), an oficila ID, etc,etc.

If you want to but a shotgun or a rifle or a sporting handgun you must be part of a shooting club or shooting range. If you want a hnadgun to defenbd your house you don't need to be a shootin range/club member but...

Let's asume Manny wants a handgun for self defense and buy a .38 spl revover and ammo from the army (only the centerfire ammo can be buy at the army, the shootgun ammo and .22 lr can be buy at the local sporting good staroes that have permit from the army to sell ammo) and want to test the gun or want to learn how to shoot it..... well you can't shoot the gun because: a) you need to be a part of a shooting range and b) get a transportation permition from you home to shooting range.. but..... the 4 inch barrel S&W .38 spl you bought does not fall into the category of sporting handgun (only the .22 lr and some .32 semiutos like the hammerlies) so you can't get a sporting transportation permit for a self defense gun. So basically you buogth the gun and the ammo legally but you can't legally shoot it anywhere but inside your house in a self defense situation.

Given this silly gun law must of the guns in Mexico are ilegally owned or bought. Carrying or transporting a firearms without the permition of the army is a crime and you go to jail for that.

Myself for example, every single yars have to ask the written permition of the army to go out hunting or shooting but only sporting/hunting firearms, the .38 spl revolver and the .380 aco semiauto I have for self defense pouposes in my home can't take them to the shooting range cause the army denies me the transportation permit.

More than the 90% of the guns in Mexico are ilegally owned, only the federate shooters and hunters are the ones who have their guns legally owned.

It's a fedral crime to me carry a handgun open or concealed, to do this I have to have a written permition from the army.

On ly the very very rich people or the ones with political conections can have one of these carry permits.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so you are telling us that to practice with the gun you have for SD you have to buy another one for sport purposes?

(and I thought I heard all the convoluted laws out there)

No wonder so many people come up north....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
so you are telling us that to practice with the gun you have for SD you have to buy another one for sport purposes?

(and I thought I heard all the convoluted laws out there)

No wonder so many people come up north....

It's stupid, isn't it? But the only handguns you can shoot legally (only in a shooting range) are the ones that are for sporting pourposes. For example I had a walther ppks .380 acp, this is gun is one of the aproved for civilian use because the caliber, I could not legally shoot it or practice with it because it's a cocealed carry gun, I mean because of it's dimensions and the caliber is a handgun used for self defense. The only handguns I can shoot are a .22 lr single action revolver (because .22 lr is a sporting pourposes caliber) and a S&W Mod.41 semiauto poistol because it's a competition gun and the caliber.

Another clear example, a friend of mine bought a .380 acp glock handgun and 200 rounds of ammo (200 rounds of ammo is all the centerfire ammo for handgun the army sells to the average citizen) however when I tried to get a transportation permition from the army to take his gun to shooting range to test it and shooi it the Army denied the permit because the glock is a non sporting gun and the .380 acp is s non sporting round. So basically my freidn has a gun for protection of home and he can't practice with it or even shoot it but inside his house and in real self defense.

The gun law is so bad and stupid in my country that people buy guns and ammo in the black market and they don't registered in the army.

I am a sporting shooter/hunter and all my guns are registered at the army.

Manny

Latest Discussions