Mental Strength

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been planning to write an article on mental strength, how to attain and what it consists of a little while now. I was wondering what your thoughts on this topic are?
  • What do you think constitutes mental strength?
  • How do you, personally, improve your mental strength?
  • How important do you think it is in martial arts and street fights?
  • Would you class yourself as mentally strong, by your own definition?
I have been reading this amazing book called Relentless that my father bought as a gift, and I am almost half-way through it, which is quite great for me as I haven't properly been enthralled by a specific book in years. Even important books to me, such as The Book of Five Rings, I found boring.
51+30rvIiSL.jpg

I think this book is helping me to take the way I train to the next level, and definitely helping my mentality grow. I highly recommend it. One of the ways it has helped me was by helping me understand that I should be driven by my own discipline, not motivation, for my sport.

If I were to answer my own questions, I would say mental strength, to me, means to make yourself do things when you don't want to do them. To not be phased by the progress of others and to concentrate on yourself - I've always had problems with this which is why I stopped using social media completely (except for a Facebook profile that runs my Martial Fury page and to look at memes). I found that a lot of the accounts on social media meant to motivate you for martial arts just made me feel like **** by showing off things I couldn't accomplish. Mental strength also means having the capacity to look past instant gratification of, say, stopping your workout early, treating yourself to extra cheat days, or cheat days in general, and to focus on the end goal.

I would also say mental strength is a driving factor in what separates those who win and those who don't. It's not just important for sport, but for everyday life. Although I would say I am mentally strong, especially when I compare myself to who I was years ago, I definitely find myself lacking. I've been having issues with the lockdown as it's stopped me from enjoying one of the things that define me as a person. Ever since I started dedicating myself to martial arts, it basically became my way of living. I felt as if the only thing that set me apart from every other person I knew, even my own family, was the passion and drive to achieve and to win, which is why it feels crushing to start questioning your own passion for your sport.

It felt and still feels like quite a lonely path, as I've not yet met anyone who has the same drive for something else. Sometimes I wake up as early as 0430 just to get my workout in, and go to sleep at 2000, and I know I couldn't explain to people who don't have the same instincts why I do this, or why I've had phases where I worked out 5 times daily. And when I question my drive it's even worse because it's a lot like questioning my own identity. I used to feel a very hot flame inside, and it's just not there anymore. The book I am reading, claims that I have everything I need inside me, I just have to look for it. Regardless of all of this, I still aim to be the best because there is no other choice for me. I can't really believe there is any other way for me to have my life fulfilled, and I don't do any of what I do because I want to be the best (I do) but it's because I have to be the best.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been planning to write an article on mental strength, how to attain and what it consists of a little while now. I was wondering what your thoughts on this topic are?
I have been reading this amazing book called Relentless that my father bought as a gift, and I am almost half-way through it, which is quite great for me as I haven't properly been enthralled by a specific book in years. Even important books to me, such as The Book of Five Rings, I found boring.
51+30rvIiSL.jpg

I think this book is helping me to take the way I train to the next level, and definitely helping my mentality grow. I highly recommend it. One of the ways it has helped me was by helping me understand that I should be driven by my own discipline, not motivation, for my sport.

If I were to answer my own questions, I would say mental strength, to me, means to make yourself do things when you don't want to do them. To not be phased by the progress of others and to concentrate on yourself - I've always had problems with this which is why I stopped using social media completely (except for a Facebook profile that runs my Martial Fury page and to look at memes). I found that a lot of the accounts on social media meant to motivate you for martial arts just made me feel like **** by showing off things I couldn't accomplish. Mental strength also means having the capacity to look past instant gratification of, say, stopping your workout early, treating yourself to extra cheat days, or cheat days in general, and to focus on the end goal.

I would also say mental strength is a driving factor in what separates those who win and those who don't. It's not just important for sport, but for everyday life. Although I would say I am mentally strong, especially when I compare myself to who I was years ago, I definitely find myself lacking. I've been having issues with the lockdown as it's stopped me from enjoying one of the things that define me as a person. Ever since I started dedicating myself to martial arts, it basically became my way of living. I felt as if the only thing that set me apart from every other person I knew, even my own family, was the passion and drive to achieve and to win, which is why it feels crushing to start questioning your own passion for your sport.

It felt and still feels like quite a lonely path, as I've not yet met anyone who has the same drive for something else. Sometimes I wake up as early as 0430 just to get my workout in, and go to sleep at 2000, and I know I couldn't explain to people who don't have the same instincts why I do this, or why I've had phases where I worked out 5 times daily. And when I question my drive it's even worse because it's a lot like questioning my own identity. I used to feel a very hot flame inside, and it's just not there anymore. The book I am reading, claims that I have everything I need inside me, I just have to look for it. Regardless of all of this, I still aim to be the best because there is no other choice for me. I can't really believe there is any other way for me to have my life fulfilled, and I don't do any of what I do because I want to be the best (I do) but it's because I have to be the best.
thats all very good, if your determind to be the best, pick something were beibg the best makes you rich, other wise youl be the best and poor and that stinks

. im absolutely the best in the world at tossing a full pint of beer up and catching it on the back of ny hand with out spilling a drop, it impreses people at parties, but i have yet to find any eccononic advantage

try law, that pays well, if you had mental strength, you could do that,

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
#Cleaner.
He is not for everyone but Tim Grover is one of my favorite motivational people. Very matter of fact and blue collar. I have read the book 2 or 3 times.

I have probably been criticized the most for being driven to a fault. It has created some great things in my life and also some low points in my life as well. But I can say with certainty that it was never a worry about letting myself or anyone else down. Much more about the lure and intoxication of pushing to find out what I could do. It is an innate curiosity that most people do not understand or even have a concept of. If you have never heard the phrase "runners high" look it up.
In my upper competition years to look at me you would say I had more going against me than for me. Short for the sport and my competition. Not particularly muscular or flexible. But I was able to out work and out chess most people. I made it to two fights from going to the Olympics. I feel good about that but in my mindset it doesn't really matter. I didn't finish the job. Simple as that.
What I feel the best about is how I did it. I was already a LEO working fulltime, we were already fulltime farming, and I trained 5-6 days/week 4-5 hours/day. No sponsors or financial backers like most the fighters had. Frankly, I think it can be nurtured but it is something you or you do not. No in between.

***I add this part only because I know you are a younger guy and for perspective: FWIW, this amount of drive and commitment is a big part of why my first relationship failed. It can really blind you and force a person to make some hard decisions. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Your introspection is a very good thing I think. Some things should be concrete but a person needs to be able to see where change is good and productive. I once heard it called having a gnat's eye with a telescope.

I strongly recommend you look into books by Norman Vincent Peale, Robin S. Sharma, Phil Knight and others. Jon Gordon is excellent but may be a little outside what you are looking.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me mental strength is about how well you can deal with pressure and stress.

At crunch time, how well do you perform and keep your head.

How hard is it to rattle you.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
To me, mental strength is the ability to persevere, to keep going when you have already expended all of your strength, energy, and motivation.

For me, training to try out for special operations helped make me mentally strong. Though I never made it to selection, I learned that I was capable of far more than I thought. Later, language school, SERE, and the Best Warrior Competition also served to build my mental strength, as did continued physical training and BJJ. Basically, any time you do something you don't feel like doing, in an attempt to achieve something greater, you're building mental strength.

I think mental strength helps a lot in the martial arts, especially in the ones where you make contact, grapple, and spar, as the likelihood of getting injured is higher... To say nothing of walking off the mat bruised, tired, and sore. As for surviving a street fight, I'd say it plays a role... In the one real fight I was in, my opponent had the jump on me and was physically bigger and stronger, but I refused to let that be my last night on this planet.

I would say I'm more mentally strong than average. Are there stronger? Sure. Special operators certainly suffer far worse than I do on a routine basis. But, I think I'm a fairly mentally strong individual in a society that has done a lot to undermine the cultural importance of mental strength in recent years.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like how you mentioned your sleeping and training habits. I’m not sure your age, but you sound young, and I think this is where you’ll see how your mental strength and discipline really goes against the norm.

A friend of mine who trained in a neighboring school had a fantastic tradition. On New Years Eve the dojo would host a class that would run the hour between the 2 years. So you’d end the old and begin the new year while training. I always thought this was great, and really showed the mental strength you talk about. The average person wants to be out partying on New Years Eve or sitting home drinking alcohol. Someone who is dedicated to bettering themselves sees these things as the detractors they are. Not to say you can’t have fun, but as I trained and grew I found the feeling of accomplishment was far superior to the immediate gratification. Your sacrifices will not be in vain.

Doing something you know you should even when you don’t want too, is really the definition of mental strength I go by. I think among Martial Artists we see this trait more commonly and share an overall commitment to bettering our minds and bodies.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
51+30rvIiSL.jpg

Mental strength is very important. In Martial arts or in other areas. I only knew two guys in the Military who passed Selection SAS. One a Royal Anglian & A Royal Artillery Sgt. Both had something more than the normal guy. The Drive to go harder than the rest. same with the US Seals not everyone is mentaly tough enough but lots are physically fit. being just fit is not enough.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bringing mental strength into boxing & martial arts.. how many people are mentaly tough enough to not just hit someone but to also take punishment & still carry on. some people get a smack in the face and crumble, some get more aggressive. I think people are just born fighters they have that mentality. sure you can train in a dojo and learn a lot but if you do not have the heart or mentality it´s not much use.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I also remember a coversation i had with a guy who was a Royal marine in the 60s. He then went to the FFL, French Foreign legion. He told me that the physical fitness was harder in the Royal marines but the Legion was much more Mentaly hard. The discipline every day. day in day out.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
51+30rvIiSL.jpg

This popped up in my email today as a reply someone made to a topic somewhere, think it was Quora:

-----------------

"What are some of the five core habits of mentally strong people?

They are resilient. Mentally strong people realize that a failure isn’t the end of the world, and they bounce back with grace and a good attitude intact.

They have good coping mechanisms. Basically, this means they have healthy strategies for when they’re upset. If you’re worried about layoffs, do you turn to alcohol, snap at your spouse, let your worries fester until they’re blown out of proportion…or do you go for a run, write in a journal, or meditate?

They don’t believe everything they think. Most of us are ruled by our thoughts. Mentally strong people know that sometimes our brains lie to us. Just because you think, “Jane’s prettier and smarter and friendlier than me and I’m going to die alone in a hole somewhere”….doesn’t mean you have to accept it as true.

They’re supported by loving family and friends. Don’t underestimate the power of a support system. Family and friends are life’s greatest joy, so if you’re lucky enough to have them, take advantage. Lean on them.

They get help when they need it. It may sound cliched, but honest-to-god I can’t think of anything braver than admitting you need help and seeking it out. Getting a professional’s help, even if you’re scared, is truly a hallmark of strength."

-------------

Thought it was quite good. And I would say it's more along the lines of resilience through adversity. Not so much doing things you don't want to do, even though I do appreciate and can see that angle.

I just know that doing something you don't want to do because you feel like should definitely isn't always a sign of mental strength, but can very easily be a difficulty many people have who can't say no, who are deeply engrained in 'loyalty' or 'obligation' to toxic people/family, and in general people-pleasers who need others' approval and validation often do this too.

There's nothing specific I do to develop it, in my old MA style mental toughness/strength was pretty much the main emphasis of the style. Once you catch that feeling and get it you don't necessarily need to hit every training session to the death anymore, and don't need to smash yourself every time just to develop that. That being said, I still love training hard, and still love pushing myself to see how far beyond my preconceived limits I can go. I think it's good to do every now and then to remind yourself of it. But it's no longer the top of my priority.

I feel it's pretty important in martial arts in general, but maybe moreso specifically if you're wanting to reach elite levels (or even get good in lower tiers really) competition/tournament, and for sure I would say it's a crucial element in self defense.

Would I say I am mentally strong... yeah for sure. Knowing the adversity and challenges I have overcome it's a wonder that I'm still even here. They took immense mental resilience, and still do. But there are still many aspects in my life in which I wouldn't consider myself mentally strong, a work in progress there :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They don’t believe everything they think. Most of us are ruled by our thoughts. Mentally strong people know that sometimes our brains lie to us.

This. Definitely this. I fully think this 'voice in our head' is louder for some than others. And I think it can be conditioned to be less of a factor.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Take the Free Mental Toughness Test Now!

The 4 Pillars of Mental Toughness

Motivation
  • Pushing yourself beyond your abilities
  • Working hard (harder than others)
  • Persistence – refusal to give up
  • Setting difficult/attainable goals
  • Bouncing back from performance setbacks
  • Internal motive to succeed
Coping With Pressure
  • Cope effectively with adversity
  • Stay calm under pressure
  • Accept that anxiety is inevitable – enjoy it
  • Make quick decisions under pressure
  • Thrive on the pressure
  • Maintain focus and effort under pressure
Concentration (Attentional Focus)
  • Remaining totally focused on the task
  • Not being distracted by events surrounding the performance of the task
  • Not being distracted by personal events
  • Remaining in control despite unexpected, uncontrollable events
Confidence (Self-Belief)
  • Having an unshakable belief in your ability to achieve your goals
  • Believing that you have unique qualities that will allow you to succeed
  • Believing that you can overcome obstacles placed in your way

The MTQ48 is one of the main assessment used by professionals I believe but you have to pay to take it. But if you are going to write an article it might be a good reference.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
This. Definitely this. I fully think this 'voice in our head' is louder for some than others. And I think it can be conditioned to be less of a factor.

So, a little background on me, I'm going for my doctorate in psychology. This concept has been applied to behavioral therapy in recent years; psychologists know it as cognitive fusion/defusion. The basic idea is that cognitive fusion occurs when you accept a given thought as a fact, where cognitive defusion occurs when you recognize a thought for what it is: a thought that may change with knowledge, experience, and emotion. One thing we teach people is to try reframing their thoughts, particularly negative ones, in recognition of this fact. So, for example, "I'm a piece of ****" becomes "I'm currently thinking I'm a piece of ****." The difference may seem subtle, but it's adaptive to recognize how transient our thoughts really are.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, a little background on me, I'm going for my doctorate in psychology. This concept has been applied to behavioral therapy in recent years; psychologists know it as cognitive fusion/defusion. The basic idea is that cognitive fusion occurs when you accept a given thought as a fact, where cognitive defusion occurs when you recognize a thought for what it is: a thought that may change with knowledge, experience, and emotion. One thing we teach people is to try reframing their thoughts, particularly negative ones, in recognition of this fact. So, for example, "I'm a piece of ****" becomes "I'm currently thinking I'm a piece of ****." The difference may seem subtle, but it's adaptive to recognize how transient our thoughts really are.

Sir, being honest I will say I usually loathe psychology speak. That said, this is one of the best (and simplest) comments I have ever heard someone from your genre say. I very much appreciate that.

I feel there are very few people who have never said or at least thought "I am a piece of ****." Not explicitly a bad thing. I would imagine unfolding the weight of person saying that to themselves is a very intriguing part of your job.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have my inner voice speak with a Canadian accent that way its easy to ignore the negative because what does it know...its from canada.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sir, being honest I will say I usually loathe psychology speak. That said, this is one of the best (and simplest) comments I have ever heard someone from your genre say. I very much appreciate that.

I feel there are very few people who have never said or at least thought "I am a piece of ****." Not explicitly a bad thing. I would imagine unfolding the weight of person saying that to themselves is a very intriguing part of your job.

I completely understand where you're coming from. The idea of cognitive fusion/defusion comes from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, and the founders of said system are so convinced that their therapeutic approach is so mind-blowingly complex that they recommend explaining just about everything using an analogy or metaphor. Personally, I think if you're just straightforward, and don't assume everybody is an idiot, that it's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

Latest Discussions