The need for speed

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So what makes someone fast?

In my old age (I'm 53) I've come to my own conclusion that speed has several compoents (but please add any you see that I don't!)

a) Strength. Strength as in twitch and super twitch muscles. That comes from the right mix of weight training.

b) Technique. Not only finding a more efficient way to do, say a backfist or a sidekick, but also combining moves to speed up the technique, say skipping forward while chambering a kick or firing a backfist (just like the strait lead punch.) Or one-timing,that is blocking and punching at the same instant.

c) Relaxing before the strike (the muscles not the mind!)

d) Mental. Mental not only in burning in the technique so well it's a reflex but combining moves mentaly so instead of '1,2,3,4' it becomes just '1' in ones mind. Add visualization to this so one sees the complete technique without any break in the flow.

So, how do you get faster?

Deaf

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speed is often perception.

One way you get faster over time is that you get better at seeing subtle clues in your opponent that tip their hand what they will do and when they will do it. This allows one to react sooner and smarter, giving the perception of speed.

It's not really speed of a given technique, but it's a more practical speed of beating your opponents timing

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Speed is often perception.

I agree with your comments Fearless, that speed can largely be due to perception. However I think speed is also a physical phenomenon, with many components. My example would be during a padwork session, look at 2 people hitting handpads with a jab, cross, hook (1,2,3) combo (I chose this hand combo for simplifications sake). Both are of a same level of skills and fitness (again for simplifications sake), yet one is a lot faster at this combination than the other. This would have a lot to do with the faster one being able to physically throw this combination quicker (for whatever reason(s))

In my eyes what makes somebody fast? Having good technique comes first for me, then move into keeping this good technique with more speed, and then comes power. I see a lot of beginners trying to strike too hard and fast, too soon! Then the technique goes sloppy, and it's all an uphill battle from there!

I agree that relaxation is important too. When I first started boxing I had a lot of problem with my punching. I was always tight and tense, so this made me slow and sluggish, but once I learnt to relax it all flowed from there! However when I think about it- I don't know if I really did anything specific to relax and loosen up as per se? I was aware of it, and consciously thought of it during training- hence visualisation helped in this sense. Then over time it just went away- I guess the more I practiced the better I got.

I'd have to say though- it ends up coming down to practice makes perfect!

:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what makes someone fast?

In my old age (I'm 53) I've come to my own conclusion that speed has several compoents (but please add any you see that I don't!)

a) Strength. Strength as in twitch and super twitch muscles. That comes from the right mix of weight training.

b) Technique. Not only finding a more efficient way to do, say a backfist or a sidekick, but also combining moves to speed up the technique, say skipping forward while chambering a kick or firing a backfist (just like the strait lead punch.) Or one-timing,that is blocking and punching at the same instant.

c) Relaxing before the strike (the muscles not the mind!)

d) Mental. Mental not only in burning in the technique so well it's a reflex but combining moves mentaly so instead of '1,2,3,4' it becomes just '1' in ones mind. Add visualization to this so one sees the complete technique without any break in the flow.

So, how do you get faster?

Deaf

Very good question! Btw does it help if I tell you I'm older than you by a year and a half? I always have felt slow though even when I started MA years ago.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very good question! Btw does it help if I tell you I'm older than you by a year and a half? I always have felt slow though even when I started MA years ago.

Well, I'm in the same age group, and in all honesty I'm more of an expert in slow, but I work with some other old guys who are really fast. They confirm the advice already given, but I would add one more thing. Effective speed--that is speed relative to your opponent--is not just actual speed or velocity, but a function of both distance and timing. In short, if you get in a better position, have a better angle and range, and you have better timing, a strike that may have a slower velocity will arrive faster--with more effective speed. (Credit for this goes to Latosa Escrima Concepts)

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok guys, lets add the two!

Fearless on opponents telegraphing and geezer on timing!

While these are not actual physical speed techniques your opponent won't know the difference (and they are vital if you intend on striking your attacker and not being struck yourself.)

Tez3,

We will see what I'm like at 55 or 60!

Deaf

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that Def hit the nail on the head when he said relaxation is one of the keys. Reading your opponent is good but dose not count when doing bag or hand drills, but relaxation dose help out the speed. Muscle memory may also have something to do with it along with how many fast twitch muscles you are using

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would add another thought, that also dove-tails into the perception of speed --

Eliminating unnecessary movement.

A lot of people cock back before throwing a punch, even just a half-inch, and that slows the overall technique down, as well as tipping the opponent off to movement.

Or an extra shuffle-step which isn't necessary, a bob of the head, a shoulder "wiggle" -- any of these things will add time to the overall technique.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
JKD there thardey! Shortest distance between two points is a strait line. And no telegraphing.

Deaf

Latest Discussions