martial arts and mental health

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Someone close to me deals with OCD, if I may ask...since you brought it up, how does yours manifest??

thanks
Your Brother
John
my ocd has manifested in many was over the years.as is,and it has been thei way for many years,it focuses on my faith.its called scrupulosity.
i have been on meds for years.i also have been in counseling on and off for years.
my ocd has been very sever off and on for many years.as is it has been very sever for about 8 or so months.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well Shelby-

that's a difficult version of OCD, no doubt. But you're aware of it and you've gone quite some time with your treatment.. sounds like you have hope!!!
:ultracool
I don't know HOW scrupulosity would affect ones martial arts training or the training affect the disorder and it's symptoms. I do believe that a good instructor will be able to assist you keep a good perspective on what your journey in the martial arts is and how to work through any difficulties it may (IF EVER) present you. IF your instructor(s) know...then keep in contact with them concerning anything it might do for or too you, good or bad. I also highly recomend you practice keeping a two notebooks and write in them daily.
1st one: simply a LOG of all the times that the symptoms crop up. When, where were you, what were the thoughts....don't evaluate them (I know, difficult in your disorder...but try it, it gets easier)...just LOG them, never more than two lines.
2nd one: a Daily Journal. Discipline yourself to write in it at least once a day, if not more, in order for you to become more self aware. REmember, your perceptions and how you evaluate things is what is most askew...so it's time to evaluate your evaluations....

Reason I put THIS particular advice into THIS reply??

Because something you can do is keep in mind anytime that Anything having to do with martial arts crops up...at all. Let it be a red flag in your mind. Think on it with your rational mind....see if it's reasonable. Think of the MOST reasonable and rational person you've ever known ((If you don't know of any, think of Spock ;) )) ...and ask yourself what THEY would tell you about those thoughts. Ponder it. IF it continues to bother you, take that log entry and discuss it with your therapist, a friend or even your instructor(s).
This way you can keep aware of any potential issues...and awareness is half the battle.

Physical training and conditioning is GREAT for the majority of people suffering from psychological problems......especially things like depression and low self esteem!!! The chemicals (like endorphins) that are stirred up through intense training are a GREAT natural psychotropic medication.
AND THEY'RE FREEEEEE!!
Then there's the sense of accomplishment that you can have through following the particular discipline you enjoy the most. (( From reading your profile....you enjoy a few! More power to ya! )) ...also the confidence in your greater health and in the fact that you are better able to handle confrontations and altercations.

Way I see it, it's all goooooood!
Keep Training and believing in yourself!

Your Brother
John

PS: Here's some (5) links you might find useful!!!
LINK #1

LINK #2

LINK #3

LINK #4

LINK #5

.........I think I did that right.
Hope you find something that gives you another tool in your struggle!!

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thanks brother john for the post and advice and the links.i will look into all of the links and get bact to you on what i think.

Latest Discussions