Meditation => Martial Fighting Art?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To properly answer the question you would need to know what was meant by "mediation".

Did the OP mean sitting mediation or something more along the lines of a moving Qigong?

If seated mediation it is highly doubtful if a moving qigong again, without knowing what it was it is rather hard to say.

Are their Qigong forms that have martial apps? Yes

There is allegedly an entire MA style based on Ba duan jin and there are martial apps to the 5 animal frolics

Also if you are defining mediation as a standing mediation then you could also but Zhan Zhuang and Santi shi into that and both are used as a basis for a CMA style Zhan Zhuang for Yiquan and Santi Shi for Xingyiquan. Also I believe Yang Chengfu was rather found of Wuji and thought it was rather important but I believe that would be more of an indirect association with an MA application

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looks like the answer is: "it depends on the meditation form". :)

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I may be trying to cut hairs that aren't there (Happens a lot...) :)

But to me Meditation & Varying types of Qi Gong are vastly different in their approach and what the end result may be or even the reason for the practice in the first place.

Personally I feel Meditation induces more of a Mental cultivation, whereas QiGong has more of a Physical cultivation(Internal/External), though they both can & do maintain benefits for the mind, body & spirit as evident in Samadhi practice or other methods, even certain types of Taoist Qi Gong methods. But I feel their goal is intrinsically different.

Just an opinion,
Thanks

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I tell you your right will you go away?

I wasn't aware you owned this forum, but you know, I hardly come by here these days anyway. I go elsewhere for a rational discussion and not this "you insult my family" ****.

You may like to portray it as me trying to be right. I'm just not convinced we have a complete enough story from any side and I was expressing that, but you took offense that someone could believe differently to you and you try to imply I'm somehow affiliated with Falun Gong [which is, as Seth MacFarlane would say, a colossal dick move] because of it.

But like I said, I don't have a good reason to read your stuff anymore knowing your reasoning abilities.

Signing off for now, Oxy, the guy who doesn't buy crap from EITHER side.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod warning

Get back to the topic in the OP
Use ignor button if you do like the way someone posts
Use the report to mod button if you feel someone is out of line

Sheldon Bedell
MT Mod

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I may be trying to cut hairs that aren't there (Happens a lot...) :)

But to me Meditation & Varying types of Qi Gong are vastly different in their approach and what the end result may be or even the reason for the practice in the first place.

Personally I feel Meditation induces more of a Mental cultivation, whereas QiGong has more of a Physical cultivation(Internal/External), though they both can & do maintain benefits for the mind, body & spirit as evident in Samadhi practice or other methods, even certain types of Taoist Qi Gong methods. But I feel their goal is intrinsically different.

Just an opinion,
Thanks

I tend to agree but what little training I have in meditation in Yoga (Yogic Breath Training) however is both physical and mental cultivation but an arguemtn could be made that it was more mental than physical. But in Qigong you have 3 categories Scholar, Medical and Martial Arts

Although Dr Yang says there are 5; Maintaining health, Curing sickness, Prolonging Life, Martial Arts, and Enlightenment (Buddhahood).

But the Martial is not directly used in fighting as much as it is used to cultivate Qi or the internal aspects, or unify the body and mind, or simply relax and use the benefits gained from that for martial arts, not use it in direct application

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We need to be aware of mind/body separation, I think, where a complete martial art should create mind/body unity and harmony.

I also think that a complete martial art requires the physical testing of one's self against an opponent. Maybe the opponent introduces a challenge to one's mind/body harmony. Maybe one can maintain the harmony while sitting quietly, but it's much more difficult to maintain the harmony when one's body (and self-image?) are being challenged by an opponent.

Maybe that's it ... the meditative art becomes a true martial art when the practitioner is able to maintain mind/body harmony while under a threat to mind & body ...?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We need to be aware of mind/body separation, I think, where a complete martial art should create mind/body unity and harmony.

I also think that a complete martial art requires the physical testing of one's self against an opponent. Maybe the opponent introduces a challenge to one's mind/body harmony. Maybe one can maintain the harmony while sitting quietly, but it's much more difficult to maintain the harmony when one's body (and self-image?) are being challenged by an opponent.

Maybe that's it ... the meditative art becomes a true martial art when the practitioner is able to maintain mind/body harmony while under a threat to mind & body ...?

Yup

That is why I like things like Santi Shi. It is not the same as fighting an opponent but it is, at least in early stages, teaching you harmony in just standing through the pain. It is also teaching body unity as well

Latest Discussions