Measles Outbreak Triggered by Unvaccinated Child

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Measles Outbreak Triggered by Unvaccinated Child[/h]MONDAY, March 22 (HealthDay News EXCERPT:emphasis added... ) — What began as a family trip to Switzerland in 2008 ended up as a public health nightmare in California. The family’s 7-year-old boy, who was intentionally unvaccinated against measles, was exposed to the virus while traveling in Europe. When he returned home to San Diego, he unknowingly exposed a total of 839 people, and an additional 11 unvaccinated children contracted the disease.

Three of those infected were babies, too young to have yet received the measles vaccines, and one of the babies was hospitalized for three days with a 106-degree fever, according to a report to be published in the April issue of Pediatrics.
“Measles is just a plane ride away, including places like Switzerland and the U.K.,” said one of the researchers, Dr. Jane Seward, deputy director of viral diseases at the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“This study serves as a reminder that measles can be a very serious disease that can lead to severe complications and death, and that the measles, mumps, rubella [MMR] vaccine is highly effective and the best way to prevent measles. It’s also a reminder that people who choose not to vaccinate don’t just put themselves and their children at risk, but also their communities, which includes infants who are too young to immunize,” she said.

This 2008 outbreak was the first in San Diego since 1991, according to the report. Before the introduction of the measles vaccine in 1963, as many as 500 children died each year from the measles, and nearly 50,000 were hospitalized annually in the United States because of the virus, according to background information in the report.
In recent years, however, the virus has resurged as many parents choose not to vaccinate their children, often because of fears about serious side effects. In fact, a recent study from the University of Michigan found that even among those who do vaccinate, more than half are concerned about serious side effects. Many of these fears stem a reported link between the MMR vaccine and autism. This link has been disproved in numerous studies, however.

“There are several reasons why parents are choosing not to vaccinate,” said study co-author Albert Barskey, a CDC epidemiologist. “Some are afraid of adverse events, and a lot of these fears are unfounded. Others feel that if their child does get sick, the current health-care system can take care of any unfortunate events, and some just don’t see measles as a risk. They don’t think it’s in this country any more and don’t think of traveling to Europe as a place where they might contract measles.”
The San Diego outbreak, which Seward said was quickly and aggressively contained by the public health department, cost about $177,000 to get under control. Those costs include direct medical charges, the cost of quarantining those exposed, plus the expense of state and county personnel involved in containing the outbreak.

At the charter school that the 7-year-old with measles attended, 11 percent of the children were unvaccinated for measles. While state, or even county-level vaccination numbers may be high, pockets of areas exist where much higher numbers of children are unvaccinated, Barskey said.
Parents who intentionally under-vaccinate tended to be white, college-educated and have an upper or middle-income level, the study found. Many believe that living a “natural lifestyle” will protect their children against vaccine-preventable illness, according to the study.
END EXCERPT
I blame Jenny McCarthy and her ilk. The parents of the 11 year old, ought to be brought up on assault charges.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the charter school that the 7-year-old with measles attended, 11 percent of the children were unvaccinated for measles. While state, or even county-level vaccination numbers may be high, pockets of areas exist where much higher numbers of children are unvaccinated, Barskey said.
Parents who intentionally under-vaccinate tended to be white, college-educated and have an upper or middle-income level, the study found. Many believe that living a “natural lifestyle” will protect their children against vaccine-preventable illness, according to the study
Hybrid driving, Obama voting, smug infested dipsh ts.:soapbox:

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
ignorant people

I got all my needles and was just vaccinated again for tetanus and diptheria when i was bitten by a mouse I was trying to save from my cat about two weeks ago.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Say what? Measles....
OH EM GEEE....see what happens when you travel to a 2nd world country like Switzerland....

Sheesh, they spend 177.000 dollars on this 'outbreak' (I am sure the kickbacks and bribes in that community amount to much more expenditure) They quaranteened people for measles, no, really?!

But in this day and age to not vaccinate (there are a very few reasons not to go through with it, but the % of the population that can't get shots is far less than 11%!!!) is insane. Yes, I know, measles was part of those maladies you were expected to go through as child (and you better get it then, too) But since vaccines are available now (and the risk of bad side effects is also minute) Hell, I hated having my kid getting shots...but he made it alright through them.

but seriously....
do you need to quaranten people with measles? How about the real influensa...

177.000 bucks is hardly worth mentioning when you are talking about a couple hundred people being sick and some of those hospitalized

Those 11% parents need a little (or a lot more) sense slapped into them.

And Don, don't be an idiot: No reason to drop Obama into this thread. No telling who those folks voted for....if the even bothered....

And Blade: Unless it's your pet mouse, NEVER rescue a mouse.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hybrid driving, Obama voting, smug infested dipsh ts.:soapbox:

God fearing, evangelical, homo hating, not going to wear the mark of the beast, Republicans, also do not vaccinate.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
$177,000 was it? Wow, they got off cheap! Not trying to minimize the suffering the families went through, but that's a ridiculously low cost estimate for hundreds of people suffering an outbreak of anything. Hell, I'd expect 800+ people suffering broken arms to cost more than that.

I'd go into the whole liability-for-not-vaccinating topic, but since Don's second post makes it obvious that this thread is just another "blame teh ebil libelrals" post, I think I'll refrain. :rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this went on in America but here we had scare stories from doctors and scientists telling us that the MMR vaccine side effects were dangerous and could cause autism in children. It wasn't liberal parents not having their children vaccinated it was scared parents of all political colours not having their children vaccinated.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if this went on in America but here we had scare stories from doctors and scientists telling us that the MMR vaccine side effects were dangerous and could cause autism in children. It wasn't liberal parents not having their children vaccinated it was scared parents of all political colours not having their children vaccinated.
The same thing happened here, before that report was completely discredited. Yeah, some were scared parents of all political stripes, the majority, however, were of Jenny McCarthy's ilk, i.e., profoundly liberal, wanna be intelligentsia

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MYTH 1: Vaccines cause autism.
FACT:Until 2001, some childhood vaccines included thimerosal, a preservative containing ethylmercury. (Thimerosal isn’t gone from all vaccines — it’s still present in some influenza formulations. But none of the vaccines routinely required for school admission contains thimerosal as a preservative.)[SUP]1[/SUP] Mercury, of course, can cause neurological damage. But there’s scientific consensus that the amount once used in vaccines — around 50 micrograms per 0.5-ml dose — was far short of toxic. And autism rates have continued to climb, suggesting that there’s either a different cause or, more likely, that a better understanding of the condition has increased diagnoses. A comprehensive review of the research, conducted in 2004 by the prestigious Institute of Medicine, found no evidence of a connection between vaccines and autism. None.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether it's a myth that the MMR caused autism or not is irrelevant and there's no good being superior and sneering after the vaccine is proved 'safe'. The fact is at the time these vaccines were being disputed a lot of parents were scared, saying it's the 'liberals' that were the ones not having their children vaccinated because of fears it was unsafe is just silly. I knew someone would post up all the statistics saying how safe it was and how it was all proved a myth but at the time nothing was proved, all that was coming out was that the vaccine was safe, the single vaccines were and a good many people had the triple vaccine done in three single goes. You can't blame parents for erring on the safe side and you shouldn't sneer at them because it was a groundless worry. How would you have felt if you had given your child the triple vaccine and then your child was diagnosed as being autistic? And please don't bother with all that bumpf about autism not being 'real' either, it will only grieve those whose children that are autistic.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whether it's a myth that the MMR caused autism or not is irrelevant and there's no good being superior and sneering after the vaccine is proved 'safe'. The fact is at the time these vaccines were being disputed a lot of parents were scared, saying it's the 'liberals' that were the ones not having their children vaccinated because of fears it was unsafe is just silly. I knew someone would post up all the statistics saying how safe it was and how it was all proved a myth but at the time nothing was proved, all that was coming out was that the vaccine was safe, the single vaccines were and a good many people had the triple vaccine done in three single goes. You can't blame parents for erring on the safe side and you shouldn't sneer at them because it was a groundless worry. How would you have felt if you had given your child the triple vaccine and then your child was diagnosed as being autistic? And please don't bother with all that bumpf about autism not being 'real' either, it will only grieve those whose children that are autistic.

The truly vile thing about the MMR scare was that it was based on a fraud constructed in the name of money from trial lawyers and the hopes of pushing a competitor's established product out of the market. One more victory for the ethics of the almighty ($CURRENCY_UNIT).

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, and we had a lovely Pertussis (Whooping Cough) outbreak affecting thousands here in sunny San Diego last year. Likely (but not proven) also started by an anti-immunization person or people. Though in the case of pertussis, the vaccine doesn't protect 100% against the disease; those who are immunized and contract it anyway generally have less severe symptoms and it doesn't last as long... but the likelihood of an outbreak starting in a fully immunized population is very low.

The cost of this type of "personal choice" (not to immunize) to the community at large cannot be overstated; especially since whooping cough is often fatal in infants and toddlers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truly vile thing about the MMR scare was that it was based on a fraud constructed in the name of money from trial lawyers and the hopes of pushing a competitor's established product out of the market. One more victory for the ethics of the almighty ($CURRENCY_UNIT).

Actually no, over 25 years ago when I had my daughter health professionals were in two minds about the vaccine, the scandal you are talking about is recent but worries about it have been around a long time before that, it could be they knew this and preyed on it but I know in 1985 there were a lot of concerns about MMR and it's side effects. Of course then it was harder to research these things if you weren't a healthcare professional. If your doctor, midwife or health visitor is telling they are worried about giving the vaccination what are you supposed to think, so yes a lot of worried parents were out there.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually no, over 25 years ago when I had my daughter health professionals were in two minds about the vaccine, the scandal you are talking about is recent but worries about it have been around a long time before that, it could be they knew this and preyed on it but I know in 1985 there were a lot of concerns about MMR and it's side effects. Of course then it was harder to research these things if you weren't a healthcare professional. If your doctor, midwife or health visitor is telling they are worried about giving the vaccination what are you supposed to think, so yes a lot of worried parents were out there.

A real and justfied concern is just that, and perfectly excuseable. The MMR triple was relativlely new, and there's nothing wrong, really, with getting the three single jabs, it's just more pain for the same gain. Things do need to be tested and evaluated in the long run. But Wakefield's illicit study really fed the ammo into the big guns of the paranoid over here, and established the false autism link.

You'll notice a real difference here: 'all that was coming out was that the vaccine was safe, the single vaccines were and a good many people had the triple vaccine done in three single goes' and 'no vaccine is safe, ever'. The last is a real problem, and are often unconvincable in the face of evidence.

Latest Discussions