Mcafee causing problems on friend's laptop..

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm trying to remove an out of date (inactive) Mcafee free trial from a friend's laptop.

He himself tried to remove it but instead of uninstalling it on the control panel, he found it somewhere and deleted bits of it... Now every time he loads his laptop he get's a popup requesting Mcafee be reinstalled because it 'could not be loaded successfully'.

Uninstalling on control panel either does nothing or gives an 'access is denied' popup.
Haven't deleted it in program files because I'm pretty sure that'll cause a mess. (If I'm wrong I'll just do that).

Lastly, because it's a free trial I can't find any installer to download from the mcafee site so I can repair it, to then uninstall it. This free trial is just kinda stuck on his laptop...

He's got AVG now so he really doesn't want anything mcafee running as well. Though I'm not sure if it's a massive problem because it's a free trial, so shouldn't be clashing with AVG at the moment?

Any ideas on how I can get rid of it?

Thanks!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mcafee is God's way of punishing us, much like the Flood...but there is no Ark to save us this time.

Latest Discussions