Mayweather vs McGregor

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The fight that nobody thought would happen actually did, with arguably the best UFC fighter going toe-to-toe with the undefeated boxing champ, under boxing rules. Here's a video of the fight:

I'm honestly surprised at how well McGregor did against Mayweather in the opening rounds, although it's not at all surprising that he was unable to suppress his natural instincts and used a lot of illegal back hammer fists in the fight.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As expected no surprise at all for anyone with common sense. Mcgregors cardio is a joke that's been a weakness for years and still has done nothing about it. According to the offical judges cards he won 1 round and he honestly didnt look great. Mcgregor got finished by a guy who hasn't fought in 2 years is 40 years old and isn't known for finishing people (last finish was in 2009)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All over the social media people who do neither boxing nor MMA are suddenly experts, it's ridiculous. There's everything from it was a fix to MMA is fake. People who know neither of the fighters are now the fighter's best friends, know all about them and can tell you they knew who was going to win. McGregor has been on the MMA circuit for over 12 years, many of us do actually know him, have seen him fight in his early days yet it seems we didn't really know anything about him according to the armchair experts. Quite sick and tired of all the nonsense from the non fight fans, can't wait until another fight/game/whatever happens and they can move onto being 'experts' in that. When Andy Murray starting winning and became number one seed, the same people who were gobbing off about the McGregor fight were instant tennis experts. Roll on the next event to take these experts away from MMA.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As expected no surprise at all for anyone with common sense. Mcgregors cardio is a joke that's been a weakness for years and still has done nothing about it. According to the offical judges cards he won 1 round and he honestly didnt look great. Mcgregor got finished by a guy who hasn't fought in 2 years is 40 years old and isn't known for finishing people (last finish was in 2009)

He won the first 3 rounds. He used his jab very effectively in those rounds. The judges gave round 4 to Mayweather but it and round 5 were pretty close. By round 6 is when Mayweather was opening up and it was going downhill for McGregor. The rules are so limiting in boxing that it was a little frustrating... Mayweather exploited them extremely well. Whenever McGregor had a good angle, Mayweather would ball up and turn away which would stop the strikes since you can't strike from behind in boxing.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think their both winners, at least their wallets are :)

Now on a serious note, it was hard for McGregor to let go of his MMA habbits, the hammerfists against the back of the head a couple times and he tried to beat a boxer at his own game which is very hard, same would go for Mayweather if they were fighting on MMA rules.

All in all two excellent athletes.
Wouldn't really call mcgregor an excellent athlete when he gases in 5 rounds

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems the score cards are available on line if you look for them. Connor won more than one round.

I did not watch the fight. I read round by round commentary from both boxing and MMA outlets. They both mentioned the ref giving multiple warnings about the clich and the hammer fists.
My question is was Connor unable to surpress his natural urge, or was it purposeful dirty boxing?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is was Connor unable to surpress his natural urge, or was it purposeful dirty boxing

I'd say they were done on purpose, McGregor has done enough boxing in his past to know the rules and not fall back on old habits, if he didn't push it too far he could easy unsettle an opponent with illegal strikes. I've actually see it happen in the Olympic boxing before.
'So called 'dirty' boxing is actually taught in MMA, the strikes aren't against MMA rules but are illegal in boxing.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't really call mcgregor an excellent athlete when he gases in 5 rounds
It's clear you don't like the guy and that's fine but let's be realistic Conner new right well if he didn't put him away early his chances of a late fight win were slim. I think he probably came out too strong in the beginning. A pace that he couldn't keep up. That is to be expected from someone who has never gone 12 rounds. But it could also have been his game plan knowing the odds.
You can't say the guy is not in shape, that's just ridiculous. It's about how hard you push yourself.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd say they were done on purpose, McGregor has done enough boxing in his past to know the rules and not fall back on old habits, if he didn't push it too far he could easy unsettle an opponent with illegal strikes. I've actually see it happen in the Olympic boxing before.
'So called 'dirty' boxing is actually taught in MMA, the strikes aren't against MMA rules but are illegal in boxing.
This was my thought. But I didn't see the fight. Sounded like he was using the Thai clich to tire Mayweather, something he would not be used to.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's clear you don't like the guy and that's fine but let's be realistic Conner new right well if he didn't put him away early his chances of a late fight win were slim. I think he probably came out too strong in the beginning. A pace that he couldn't keep up. That is to be expected from someone who has never gone 12 rounds. But it could also have been his game plan knowing the odds.
You can't say the guy is not in shape, that's just ridiculous. It's about how hard you push yourself.
He's proved time and time again his cardio is garbage. First nate diaz fight gassed out in 2 rounds when he had a full training camp got submitted, second diaz fight got so gassed he literally had to turn and run away, now this fight gasses out gets finished.

There's no excuse for a professional fighter not being able to go the full distance in a fight. Literally all they do is train, he should've done enough sparring and pad work and running so that he could do 12 rounds no problem. Honestly you can't say he's got good cardio because in 3 of his last 4 fights he gassed out and in 2 of those got beaten because of it, the other one he just managed to get a decision.

It's not hating these are fact. He should've focused more on training than talking about a stupid sparring video.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems the score cards are available on line if you look for them. Connor won more than one round.

I did not watch the fight. I read round by round commentary from both boxing and MMA outlets. They both mentioned the ref giving multiple warnings about the clich and the hammer fists.
My question is was Connor unable to surpress his natural urge, or was it purposeful dirty boxing?
2 out of 3 judges gave him only 1 round which was the first, 1 judge gave him 3.

image.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Mayweather vs. McGregor fight results, highlights: Money wins via 10th-round TKO

At the time of the stoppage, Mayweather led on all three judges' scorecards (87-83, 89-82, 89-81).

McGregor, 29, who was making his debut as a boxer, never fought recklessly or overly aggressively, in contrast to his prediction of a first-round knockout. What he did was present Mayweather with a poised and credible challenge, teasing a bright future in the boxing game should he consider it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he can't be that bad, he's only had three losses out of 24 pro fights.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 out of 3 judges gave him only 1 round which was the first, 1 judge gave him 3.

QUOTE]

The general opinion among non partisan professional fighters is that scorecard doesn't show the truth, somewhat biased.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're the only stats that matter at the end of the day. Anyway 1 round or 5 rounds he had no chance of winning when it got stopped. The most generous opinions have him winning 5 rounds so if the fight had gone the next 2 he still wouldve lost 5 to 7 and there was no chance he would've stopped him then he was done and out of the fight. The referee saved him from going down

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I forgot the most important quote in the article Iinked. What Mayweather had to say about it

"He's a lot better than I thought he was," Mayweather said. "He used different angles. He was a tough competitor, but I was the better man tonight.

What the fighters, and judges, say is pretty much what I go with in these things...everything else is speculation and opinion

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably a better athlete than you....
Well he is about 30 years younger than me so you know....but I know when I was in my fighting career I always made damm sure I was in the best shape possible and went 12 rounds on numerous occasions both in actual competition and sparring and I never gassed out to the point where I couldn't fight any more. Even today where I'm not as fit I can still do about 8 rounds at 100% before starting to slow down.

To me cardio is the one thing anyone can have, not everyone can have power or speed or toughness or the best chin or the best ability but anyone can get good cardio as long as you put the work in. To me there's no excuse for a professional athlete who trains full time to not be in shape to go a full 12 rounds.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
SPOILER

The fight went as expected.

Mayweather barely threw a punch in the first three rounds as he worked out McGregor's tactics.

McGregor leaned into his karate base and used his reach to pick off Mayweather and shut down a lot of his common tactics.

Mayweather had figured out by round three that he needed to get inside his opponents reach and shut down his long range method, which forced more movement out of McGregor and burned him out over the next 6 rounds.

Stamina and a lack of tactical variability lost McGregor the fight.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
SPOILER

Mayweather barely threw a punch in the first three rounds as he worked out McGregor's tactics.

McGregor leaned into his karate base and used his reach to pick off Mayweather and shut down a lot of his common tactics.

Mayweather had figured out by round three that he needed to get inside his opponents reach and shut down his long range method, which forced more movement out of McGregor and burned him out over the next 6 rounds.

Yep pretty much. Nothing unexpected all this talk about mcgregors power and he never really even hurt him once. But they both make millions off this. The only people who lose are the ones silly enough to pay 100 to watch it

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
SPOILER

That's another difference between boxing and mma. In boxing you can afford to give away a few rounds like mayweather did but in mma you haven't got the time to do that due to it only being 3 or 5 rounds so you have to go for it straight away

Latest Discussions