Matt Furey - Combat conditiioning

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just pick-up the book again...read it along time ago..

NO heavy weights needed...Functional Excercises for all fitness and combat sports....WORTH READING!

Base on free excercising only....mentions three major ones...and varietions of it in later part of the book

Can be done as little as fifteen minuets a day or longer ones on others...you choose the ones you want to do...very regularly here...
-------------------------------------
1.Hindu Squats - work up to 500 a day- can start with 25? per day..
2. Hindu push-ups- work up to 100 a day...start with what ever you can do...
3.Back bridges- work to hold up to 3 minutes a day-has many varietions too...

Worth reading and Pages 8,9, and 10 pretty much explains it...too learn the whys....

How many of you follow his excercises? .....

in many places in the world...squatting is a nature thing...*(Amercia we have toilets).

Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey......Makes sense....

His beliefs on the back bridges....really makes sense...want a healter life? .....get the book...Combat Conditioning...!

Aloha, ( those that do it...are the ones who achive it too...)

PS: IT- means? .....yep "it!" (you)

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont even lift weights anymore. I find that most guys that bulk up on weights only have strength to lift weights... often times they cant climb for shyt or lift thier body weight dynamically... I used to know a weight lifter that went to the gym 4 hors a day and could lift all kids of crazy weight... but he was useless when we had to move furniture.

Revenant777

White Belt
Reaction score
A bodyweight workout can work and bodyweight exercises definitely have their place in any workout (especially one legged squats). However, I think that one could develop much more strength, and develop it much easier using free weights. With weights you simply add plates to increase the intensity, it is more difficult to increase the intensity with bodyweight exercises.

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the old hindu exercises in conjunction to my regular workouts. To get the real depth of what furey is talking about, i recommend highly these dvds,

http://www.thephysicalbody.com/

http://www.thephysicalbody2.com/

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=24698&cat=&page=1

The first two show those exercises are integrated into preparing for wrestling comps and the second on the actual comps. You can see the actual execution of the exercises from the people and in the environment that furey and gotch extracted them from. also you can check out the actual numbers per exercises done by the real wrestlers.

Of course the two dvdset of the late karl gotch teaching and having people demonstrate them is also another great guide.

If you get the book and these three dvds you got a great depth of info!

I love these dvds and play them often......hope that helps.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Started doing it 5-6 years ago. I`ll never go back to paying gym fees. Another great source is www.bodyweightculture.com or youtube, search under bartenderz or bodyweight exercise.Some of those guys do things I can only dream of.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone wants short-cuts to muscle building and power....

So many different ways to accomplish these goals...

Matts Furey's book explains it pretty well....YOU can achieve more w/out the weights....free style excercise's - especially for those who want to improve there endurance,flexiablity,speed, and powers..

Off course any weight training added will be a plus too (free weights too)...all kinds of styles and methods here...Read the book- Combat Condition...

One should be open minded....take a look..experiment....

Common Sence training, AND Doing it!...daily, if it was easy? ...we all be doing it everyday...

So easy to be lazy....that is why? ...only a few....reach there goals!

Aloha, Thanks for the feedbacks..

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont even lift weights anymore. I find that most guys that bulk up on weights only have strength to lift weights... often times they cant climb for shyt or lift thier body weight dynamically... I used to know a weight lifter that went to the gym 4 hours a day and could lift all kinds of crazy weight... but he was useless when we had to move furniture.
I've noticed this as well. What you consider functional muscle to be is a matter of what you want to be able to do with it. I find isometrics to be adequate for the most part.

Revenant777

White Belt
Reaction score
Some very good resources on bodyweight exercises: Ross Enamait's Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness is good although it is very similar to Furey's stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Guide-Warrior-Fitness-Performance/dp/B000FK641E Pavel Tsatsouline's Naked warrior- Good exercises, tips on body mechanics, and an entertaining writing style. Website with tutorials on some of the more advanced bodyweight exercises. http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm Edit: Err, I have no idea how to put in carriage returns on a forum.

Latest Discussions