Ron Southwick (East Lansing, Mich.)

2nd TEAM WOMEN
Barbara Brand (Sacramento, Calif.)
Tara Zielenski (Sacramento, Calif.)
Anacleta Thorne (Elk Grove, Calif.)

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck to all the competitors but most especially Master Southwick and Official Team-X Mom Master Noreen Thackrey!!!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Go Team USA! Bring home some hardware!

Day 2 Results

Day 2 results
The U.S. National Poomsae Team was shut out of the medals but turned in some strong performances on Tuesday during the second day of the 4th WTF World Poomsae Championships in Cairo Egypt.

Justin Wang (Baldwin Park, Calif.) reached the semifinal of the 1st Senior Male division and finished 9th in the tournament's largest division (44 competitors). It was the best-ever finish for the U.S. in that division

Lilian Angel (Orange, Calif.), competing in the 1st Senior Female division, was eliminated in the preliminary round.

Muhammad Chishti (Carlsbad, Calif.) and Angel reached the semifinal round in the 1st Pair division but did not advance to the final selection round.

Likewise, Reggie Ubiadas (Chatsworth, Calif.) performed in the semifinal round of the 2nd Master Male division but did not advance to the final 8.

Noreen Thackrey (Fresno, Calif.) advanced to the final round of the 2nd Master Female competition and finished in 7th place.

The 2nd Male Team of David Turgeon (Amston, Conn.), Garth Cooley (Carmel, Ind.) and Ron Southwick (East Lansing, Mich.) reached the final round and placed 8th.

Also advancing to the final round was the 2nd Female Team of Barbara Brand (Sacramento, Calif.), Tara Zielenski (Sacramento, Calif.) and Anacleta Thorne (Elk Grove, Calif.). They would place 7th overall.

Competition at the World Poomsae Championships concludes on Wednesday with the following U.S. team members in action:

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Master Southwick USAT Athlete Profile

Ron Southwick (Q&A - Dec. 2009)
Home: East Lansing, Michigan
Birthday: November 2, 1963

Ron Southwick, 46, of East Lansing, Mich., is competing this month at the 4th WTF World Poomsae Championships in Cairo, Egypt. This is his second straight year on the U.S. National Poomsae Team competing at the World Championships. He is on the 2nd Male Team along with David Turgeon and Garth Cooley.

Ron answered the following 10 questions for this month's USAT Athlete Profile...

Q1: What have you been doing in preparation for the World Poomsae Championships?

RON SOUTHWICK: I just returned from Indianapolis where my teammates and I did our final practice together before Egypt. I also travelled to Spain for the 1st World Poomsae Synergy Symposium, held by the Navara Taekwondo Federation and instructed by Ky-Tu Dang. We trained two eight-hour days then competed in the Pamplona Open followed by a four-hour training session the next day. Training with the top athletes in Europe was informative and humbling; they have had a European Poomsae Championship since 1993 and we are really giving our all to catch up and bring back knowledge and experience to U.S. poomsae athletes.

USA Team for the 1st World Poomsae Synergy Symposium, Pamplona, Spain

Q2: What's your favorite carnival ride?

RON SOUTHWICK: The first thing that came to my mind when I read this question was Austin Powers talking about the two things that scare him; one was nuclear war and the other was....

"Carnies. Circus folk. Nomands, you know."

Actually Master Garth Cooley and I are real movie buffs and spend a lot of our time talking in movie quotes so this question fits right in.

Q3: Your favorite sports movie?

RON SOUTHWICK: Is "Star Trek" is a sport? How about "Best of the Best".

Q4: What do you know now that you wish you'd have known when you first became involved in taekwondo?

RON SOUTHWICK: Nothing. The only way to understand taekwondo is to experience it as it unfolds. I cannot thank my teacher Master Jongoon Kim enough for teaching me this lesson for it applies to our life as well. I enjoy not knowing what is about to come next.

Ron with his teacher since 1982, Jongoon Kim

Q5: You list one of your hobbies as playing the guitar. Ever been in a band?

RON SOUTHWICK: Yes, an old friend and I had a band called "Anthony Hall". We played some Greek functions but mostly were local street musicians. I would love to play in a Celtic band someday.

Q6: What's the most memorable moment from your taekwondo competitions?

RON SOUTHWICK: At last year's 3rd World Poomsae Championships, my team and I became friends with the members of the Iranian 2nd Team. Although we could not speak each other's language, our similar love for poomsae gave us a shared experience. The Iranian team won the gold medal and after they received their medals they came over to us and put the medals on our necks. We soon were holding their flag and they ours; what an amazing thing to happen especially in our current political situation. It just goes to show that people are people wherever they live and that sport is a wonderful bridge between all cultures. I cannot wait to see my Iranian friends in Egypt.

Iranian 2nd Team and USA 2nd Team

Q7: How important is it for members of a 3-man poomsae team to spend time together outside of practice and competition?

RON SOUTHWICK: It is really important that we spend time together; it helps build trust between us. Many times when we train we critique each other, without that trust it would be easy to take things personally. Becoming friends with both Masters Turgeon and Cooley has been a wonderful experience for me. We all have great respect for one another and definitely have the same work ethic, which really adds some chemistry to our team.

Teammates, mentors and friends: Master David Turgeon, Master Garth Cooley and Ron

Q8: What do you do to reward yourself after training?

RON SOUTHWICK: You mean there is "after training"? I will let you know if I ever get there.

Q9: Do you have a pre-competition meal?

RON SOUTHWICK: High-protein anything!

Performing at the 3rd World Championships

Q10: Have you participated in any sports besides Taekwondo?

RON SOUTHWICK: I participate in mostly individual sports. I have done a lot of rock climbing, kendo and running and hope to get into Eco-Challenge sports and maybe triathlons.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's on his way back now. I don't think he's going to make it to our mutual friends' tournament tomorrow, but I hope so since I want to congratulate him in person.

Latest Discussions