MartialTalk and the COVID-19 Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but getting the virus isnt the problem, its dieing of it that is, so with the vaccine i have a 1% chance of dieing, with out the vacine i have a 1% chance of dieing or using your figures a 2% chance,,, so not really worth the bother
I think you missed the . In the vaccine percentage. If the number they quoted is accurate, your likelihood of dying after an exposure has decreased to up to a 20th of what it was (depending on how likely you were to get COVID from exposure beforehand).

And there are a lot of other possible side effects from the virus, but I know you've heard those and just don't care, so I won't get into that part of it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
but getting the virus isnt the problem, its dieing of it that is, so with the vaccine i have a 1% chance of dieing, with out the vacine i have a 1% chance of dieing or using your figures a 2% chance,,, so not really worth the bother

Are you really this uninformed about how this works, or are you just trolling?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as I know there's no actual % chance of getting COVID after being exposed. If there was, you could compare it to the above .1% chance of dying w/ vaccine & exposure in the US, to the % chance of dying w/exposure and no vaccine in the US, to see how important it is.
That is a pretty big "as far as I know". There is still too much unknown for me to get excited about a vaccine. This includes unknowns about the virus And the vaccine itself.
Someone else can be the guinea pig.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a pretty big "as far as I know". There is still too much unknown for me to get excited about a vaccine. This includes unknowns about the virus And the vaccine itself.
Someone else can be the guinea pig.
That unknown has nothing to do with the vaccine though. And they know how contagious it is, that's determined by the R0 when left unchecked, I just don't think it's been translated to %, which makes it tough to put in my above equation.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That unknown has nothing to do with the vaccine though. And they know how contagious it is, that's determined by the R0 when left unchecked, I just don't think it's been translated to %, which makes it tough to put in my above equation.
well its not very contagious, as demonstrated by the fact that the R is circa two over a month or so

so allowing that an average person will have thousands of people within a coupe of metes in that time, that they only infect two, means its harder to catch than unicorns

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And to your point, I am not aware of a % likelihood of catching the virus when not "exposed". In other words having not being around other people. We know this is occurring but to my knowledge the occurrence has not been weighted.
Just another stat that means very little at this point.
A family in an adjoining county had to file a lawsuit against Vanderbilt Medical to have a mother's cause of death changed from Covid-19 to the actual reason which was stage 4 liver cancer. The person's insurance was refusing to pay the bills due to the original COD stated. Two local litigation firms have side with the family and are going after Vanderbilt with a list of charges. I expect this is just the tip of the iceberg for cases like this.
Like the medial and insurance fields were not already a Mess.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And to your point, I am not aware of a % likelihood of catching the virus when not "exposed". In other words having not being around other people. We know this is occurring but to my knowledge the occurrence has not been weighted.
Just another stat that means very little at this point.
A family in an adjoining county had to file a lawsuit against Vanderbilt Medical to have a mother's cause of death changed from Covid-19 to the actual reason which was stage 4 liver cancer. The person's insurance was refusing to pay the bills due to the original COD stated. Two local litigation firms have side with the family and are going after Vanderbilt with a list of charges. I expect this is just the tip of the iceberg for cases like this.
Like the medial and insurance fields were not already a Mess.
well il answer that for you, the % chance of catching the virus when not exsposed to the virus is zero

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well il answer that for you, the % chance of catching the virus when not exsposed to the virus is zero
That why I put it in quotes. Apparently that is not for certain and may just be 'floating' around in the air. Frankly, who the hell knows right now?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, just wow. That is far beyond being liberal in your thinking and downright scary that you do not see the gross disconnection.
So you are saying there should be no jails? No recourse when someone wrongs you, steals from you, kills your child, and on and on. No police or court systems? No recourse if someone cheats you in your business? Any of these offenses should be left to you alone to deal with?
I at a loss as to how to reason with you kind of thinking.
You don't understand me because you keep trying put in that liberal box.
Show me where I said that I think there shouldn't be jails.
Show me where I said that I think
Show me where I said that I think there should be no recourse.
All of those examples that I gave is proves that there is no such thing as absolute freedom.

Spend less time trying to make assumptions about what I'm about. You are so desperately trying to put me in "liberal" box. That it skews your perception about how people really are.

So how does this jive with your freedom rhetoric? You are counting on someone else (scientist) to determine how you act and what you should/should not do.
What are you talk about dude. How many years have you study viruses and pandemics? Do you have any experience with trying to reduce epidemics? Have you have any experience with developing vaccines? If not then why would listen to you , instead of someone who has been studying that stuff for most of their lives.

You are that type of person who goes to a martial arts schools and tries to tell the martial art teacher what he or she doesn't know about the system when it's your first day learning the system.

List to people who know more than you. If you don't know about viruses and controlling Pandemics then you better find someone who does, because you got ZERO experience. So yes, I listen to scientists who know more about a subject matter than i do. And there's nothing wrong that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The People that are dying in South Dakota with their last breaths say I don't have covid, it is a hoax.

That's because they are so arrogant that they can't accept that someone knows more about about something than they do. Those people have never studied medicine, never treated patients, have not clue about viruses., yet they know more about people who spent there lives working in the medical field and treating patients.

They freaking go to the hospital for help, then tell the doctors and nurses that they don't know crap.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's 95% protection against getting the disease. So 95% chance of not getting COVID even if you're around the disease. meanwhile the 99% claim (which isn't accurate per Mortality Analyses - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center) is whether or not you will die with COVID. In the US you've got about a 98% chance of survival if you have the disease. So with the vaccine, assuming the numbers are all correct, you've got a 5% chance of getting the disease after exposure, and then a 2% of dying if you have the disease, which means that you've actually got a .1% chance of dying after being exposed to the virus, if you have the vaccine.
Always down with the source links: I appreciate it always.

The survival rate of surviving Covid without a vaccine is all relative to a few things.
1. What strain does the person have?
2. Was that person able to get medical attention? (right now with hospitals filling up, that answer may be No more than Yes)
3. Does that person have a physical, medical, or emotional condition that makes Covid-19 more damaging. I hear people talk about how they are getting depressed just from staying in the house. If staying home makes them depressed, then having Covid-19 isn't going to make them feel better than staying at home.
4. Does the person have a high exposure rate? Are they always around people with covid or do they stay away from people?

I don't know why people can't use critical thinking skills about some of this stuff. They take a number and never factor anything beyond getting a number. They never seek out the context.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't understand me because you keep trying put in that liberal box.
Show me where I said that I think there shouldn't be jails.
Show me where I said that I think
Show me where I said that I think there should be no recourse.
All of those examples that I gave is proves that there is no such thing as absolute freedom.

Spend less time trying to make assumptions about what I'm about. You are so desperately trying to put me in "liberal" box. That it skews your perception about how people really are.

What are you talk about dude. How many years have you study viruses and pandemics? Do you have any experience with trying to reduce epidemics? Have you have any experience with developing vaccines? If not then why would listen to you , instead of someone who has been studying that stuff for most of their lives.

You are that type of person who goes to a martial arts schools and tries to tell the martial art teacher what he or she doesn't know about the system when it's your first day learning the system.

List to people who know more than you. If you don't know about viruses and controlling Pandemics then you better find someone who does, because you got ZERO experience. So yes, I listen to scientists who know more about a subject matter than i do. And there's nothing wrong that.

In regards to your freedom reference, it was you who started that line, and it was while the conversation centered around very physical and tangible ideas. If you were talking about mental emotional freedom then why did you not have the good sense to clarify your line of thinking? Because at this point you may be talking about cheese doddles for all I know.
So yes, me and others are going to perceive your 'freedom' rhetoric to disclude jails and actions without recourse.
Again; substance to show you line of freedom thinking is rather embellished and liberal. You are on the lunatic fringe with this.

My work is not involved with the study or creation of viruses or how they behave. Is yours?
My work is sometimes involved with the handling, manufacturing, and storage of viruses. Is yours?
I have to have a limited degree of intimate understanding of certain viruses. Do you?
I watch and/or hear 4 different news feeds everyday, each from a different social/political perspective. Do you?
I feel it is very sad that our media has devolved to a point that this is required to ensure a person is learning as much of the true news as possible. How do you feel about that?
Question; how often do you hear the actual 'experts' talking about this virus? Seldom and in limited blips. Instead we are most often fed second hand information and/or modified information to fit an agenda. How often can you say you get your information straight from the horses mouth? And no, by your standard this would Not include briefings by the CDC, etc....

I have trained and/or been invited to teach at hundreds of schools. You cannot do that with the ego you seem to think I have. My passion for martial arts makes me a forever student. I greatly enjoy when I am afforded the opportunity to line up and just workout. I have been successful enough in my journey that I do not have anything to prove to anyone. If I am asked about something MA related and it is in the appropriate environment I will give an answer based on my experience. And my experience reaches far beyond a singular style or a singular answer to a specific component.

So get over your little hissy fit. Think about how what you write is perceived by Everyone, not just yourself and people of your same viewpoint. Just because you say something really, really loud does not make it fact, which seems to be a consistent belief of yours. Damn dude, get a grip.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taiwan''s total deaths from covid this year 2020 is 7. The number is 7 dead, this is not a misprint.
I guess the Taiwan government knows how to beat covid.

CNBC report on how Taiwan beat the corona virus.

How Taiwan beat the coronavirus

Taiwan's total death is still 7. Todays numbers below.
taiwan covid deaths - Google Search

Very interesting article Bruce. It talked about how Taiwan has a plan and sticks to the plan but I did not see where it talked about the plan specifically. The exception being in regards to travel.
It is worth noting that Taiwan is about 3 times smaller than New York. Each US state has or should have plans of some sort in place and there are federal mandates in place so it is always confusing to me when people think there are no plans in place here in the US.
Why are our numbers higher? I cannot say but it clearly tracks with areas where the population is heavily congested.

Is Taiwan one of the countries where people have regularly worn masks for years?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That why I put it in quotes. Apparently that is not for certain and may just be 'floating' around in the air. Frankly, who the hell knows right now?
well the uk deaths from the virus reached irs peak last month, but the total deaths in the uk was only eight more than last october, so somethibg is very wrong some where with the figures

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you missed the . In the vaccine percentage. If the number they quoted is accurate, your likelihood of dying after an exposure has decreased to up to a 20th of what it was (depending on how likely you were to get COVID from exposure beforehand).

And there are a lot of other possible side effects from the virus, but I know you've heard those and just don't care, so I won't get into that part of it.
so its decreased by a 20th of 1 % , wow

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
so its decreased by a 20th of 1 % , wow
In a poker game, that's not much. Doesn't sound like much... such a small number. However, these percentages, and even fractions of percentages, are exceedingly important when they represent actual lives.

In the USA, we have somewhere in the area of 11.5 million cases with 250k deaths. That's a death rate of just north of 2%, not even considering the number of people who are admitted to the ICU who experience serious symptoms and survive. We're hitting about 170k new cases reported every day, with ICUs filling to capacity, and are approaching 2k deaths per day.

We have a total population of about 330 million people. That leaves, one, two, add a few... over 315 million remaining who could become infected, and as the rate of infection is exponential, we could get there pretty quickly. 2% of 315 million is 6,300,000 people who could die if infected. If a vaccination could reduce the infection rate by 95%, we're talking potential risk for about 285,000,000 people mitigated and reducing the pool of people who could become infected to a literal fraction of the population. And that's how herd immunity comes into play safely.

And for what it's worth, the difference between 1% and .1% in a population as large as in the USA represents a lot of people. I mean .1% of 330 million people is still 3.3 million people.

Status
Not open for further replies.